Child Care

A

Andrea

On our first visit to the CF center the doctor told us we need to be vigilant about keeping Benjamin away from germs, especially the first three years of his life. He said he would not recomend him going to daycare. We are a two income family but since the doctor recommended him not go to daycare I took a leave from work without pay for a year. Just out of curiosity what does everyone else do for childcare?
~Andrea

A

Andrea

On our first visit to the CF center the doctor told us we need to be vigilant about keeping Benjamin away from germs, especially the first three years of his life. He said he would not recomend him going to daycare. We are a two income family but since the doctor recommended him not go to daycare I took a leave from work without pay for a year. Just out of curiosity what does everyone else do for childcare?
~Andrea

A

Andrea

~Andrea

A

Andrea

~Andrea

A

Andrea

<br />~Andrea

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
I'd already arranged for child care about 4 months prior to DS' birth 'cuz it is very difficult to find infant daycare in our area. Then when he was born we got the CF diagnosis. I wondered if we'd need to arrange for a nanny, have me stay home.... But then we thought, eventually he's going to have to go to public school...

We spoke to our CF doctor and he told us that as long as DS was kept away from the germy toddlers, he should be fine. DS also had synagis shots that first year to prevent RSV and we make sure he gets an annual flu shot.

The baby room had 6 kids including DS, separate from the rest of the population. So we stayed with the daycare we'd chosen, figured we'd rethink things should there be issues. The place we chose is excellent about hand washing, sanitizing toys, sanitizing changing tables after each use...

He's almost 5 and done quite well at his daycare. Locally, our cf doctors told us what you were told, but added things such as no swimming, had a list of sports activities that were a no-no...

Other options could include a nanny, a smaller daycare with just a couple of kids... A friend of mine arranges to have two college students watch her children...

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
I'd already arranged for child care about 4 months prior to DS' birth 'cuz it is very difficult to find infant daycare in our area. Then when he was born we got the CF diagnosis. I wondered if we'd need to arrange for a nanny, have me stay home.... But then we thought, eventually he's going to have to go to public school...

We spoke to our CF doctor and he told us that as long as DS was kept away from the germy toddlers, he should be fine. DS also had synagis shots that first year to prevent RSV and we make sure he gets an annual flu shot.

The baby room had 6 kids including DS, separate from the rest of the population. So we stayed with the daycare we'd chosen, figured we'd rethink things should there be issues. The place we chose is excellent about hand washing, sanitizing toys, sanitizing changing tables after each use...

He's almost 5 and done quite well at his daycare. Locally, our cf doctors told us what you were told, but added things such as no swimming, had a list of sports activities that were a no-no...

Other options could include a nanny, a smaller daycare with just a couple of kids... A friend of mine arranges to have two college students watch her children...

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
<br />
<br />We spoke to our CF doctor and he told us that as long as DS was kept away from the germy toddlers, he should be fine. DS also had synagis shots that first year to prevent RSV and we make sure he gets an annual flu shot.
<br />
<br />The baby room had 6 kids including DS, separate from the rest of the population. So we stayed with the daycare we'd chosen, figured we'd rethink things should there be issues. The place we chose is excellent about hand washing, sanitizing toys, sanitizing changing tables after each use...
<br />
<br />He's almost 5 and done quite well at his daycare. Locally, our cf doctors told us what you were told, but added things such as no swimming, had a list of sports activities that were a no-no...
<br />
<br />Other options could include a nanny, a smaller daycare with just a couple of kids... A friend of mine arranges to have two college students watch her children...

shimmereestar

Hi,

I'm struggling with the same exact situation. I had a daycare all lined up for Ellie and planned on returning to work in Feb. Needless to say when her diagnosis came in I resigned my position. Ellie is doing well now, so I plan on trying to go back to work in Aug. when she is 9 months (I'm a school teacher). Needless to say I am a nervous wreck. I am getting a nanny (it's actually my best friend's mom) so I'm pretty lucky. I'm really struggling with this decision but I figure I have to try. If she has another rough winter , I may have to resign again, but I have to give it a try. Ellie also gets the synagis shot and this year she will probably get the flu and pneumonia vaccine. It's so hard to know what to do. Just go with your instincts. Know things will work out the way they are supposed too.

shimmereestar

Hi,

I'm struggling with the same exact situation. I had a daycare all lined up for Ellie and planned on returning to work in Feb. Needless to say when her diagnosis came in I resigned my position. Ellie is doing well now, so I plan on trying to go back to work in Aug. when she is 9 months (I'm a school teacher). Needless to say I am a nervous wreck. I am getting a nanny (it's actually my best friend's mom) so I'm pretty lucky. I'm really struggling with this decision but I figure I have to try. If she has another rough winter , I may have to resign again, but I have to give it a try. Ellie also gets the synagis shot and this year she will probably get the flu and pneumonia vaccine. It's so hard to know what to do. Just go with your instincts. Know things will work out the way they are supposed too.

shimmereestar

Hi,

shimmereestar

Hi,

shimmereestar

Hi,
<br />
<br />I'm struggling with the same exact situation. I had a daycare all lined up for Ellie and planned on returning to work in Feb. Needless to say when her diagnosis came in I resigned my position. Ellie is doing well now, so I plan on trying to go back to work in Aug. when she is 9 months (I'm a school teacher). Needless to say I am a nervous wreck. I am getting a nanny (it's actually my best friend's mom) so I'm pretty lucky. I'm really struggling with this decision but I figure I have to try. If she has another rough winter , I may have to resign again, but I have to give it a try. Ellie also gets the synagis shot and this year she will probably get the flu and pneumonia vaccine. It's so hard to know what to do. Just go with your instincts. Know things will work out the way they are supposed too.

LilMaevesMom

My husband and I are able to work opposite schedules, so someone is always home with Maeve. I don't know if you can consider that lucky or not LOL we don't get alot of time to see each other, maybe that's good though?

LilMaevesMom

My husband and I are able to work opposite schedules, so someone is always home with Maeve. I don't know if you can consider that lucky or not LOL we don't get alot of time to see each other, maybe that's good though?

LilMaevesMom

LilMaevesMom

LilMaevesMom