Children handling meds

pnhuffman

Today i was watching Austin. he did not know I was watching him. He was getting himself some cereal. I was thinking to myself wonder if he will get his meds and take them.

Sure enough as I was watching him he was opening up the bottles one by one getting out all of the meds he takes. He got his 4 enzymes, 4 ibprofen, 1 aquadek, and 1 prevacid. I watched him take them all with a swig of milk and took off with his bowl of cereal.

It just doesn't seem right that a little kid has to worry about taking so many meds. But thats Austins life and he is accustomed to it.

pnhuffman

Today i was watching Austin. he did not know I was watching him. He was getting himself some cereal. I was thinking to myself wonder if he will get his meds and take them.

Sure enough as I was watching him he was opening up the bottles one by one getting out all of the meds he takes. He got his 4 enzymes, 4 ibprofen, 1 aquadek, and 1 prevacid. I watched him take them all with a swig of milk and took off with his bowl of cereal.

It just doesn't seem right that a little kid has to worry about taking so many meds. But thats Austins life and he is accustomed to it.

pnhuffman

pnhuffman

pnhuffman

<br />
<br />Sure enough as I was watching him he was opening up the bottles one by one getting out all of the meds he takes. He got his 4 enzymes, 4 ibprofen, 1 aquadek, and 1 prevacid. I watched him take them all with a swig of milk and took off with his bowl of cereal.
<br />
<br />It just doesn't seem right that a little kid has to worry about taking so many meds. But thats Austins life and he is accustomed to it.

Jane

Digital opinion leader
Paula, my kids <i><b>just</b></i> started getting their own meds ready. Mostly because Josh is such a scatter-brain that it was easier for us to do it (bad parenting- I know). This summer they've done it all though, 7 day pill box, nebs, g tube setup, just not IVs yet.

You are right to start early, then it just seems like routine.

Jane

Digital opinion leader
Paula, my kids <i><b>just</b></i> started getting their own meds ready. Mostly because Josh is such a scatter-brain that it was easier for us to do it (bad parenting- I know). This summer they've done it all though, 7 day pill box, nebs, g tube setup, just not IVs yet.

Jane

Digital opinion leader

Jane

Digital opinion leader

Jane

Digital opinion leader
<br />
<br />You are right to start early, then it just seems like routine.

just1more

my cystic is not there yet;

however, my 7yr old with hemophilia can prepare all the iv supplies & reconstitute his infusion (sterile vial & saline). We access his port and he can push his meds and is learning to de-access. We have been told that by 10-12 they start teaching them IV sticks (hands/arms, not his port) so they can be completely independent.

I think the guideline is to let them lead, when they are ready let them try, under close supervision.

just1more

however, my 7yr old with hemophilia can prepare all the iv supplies & reconstitute his infusion (sterile vial & saline). We access his port and he can push his meds and is learning to de-access. We have been told that by 10-12 they start teaching them IV sticks (hands/arms, not his port) so they can be completely independent.

I think the guideline is to let them lead, when they are ready let them try, under close supervision.

just1more

just1more

just1more

<br />
<br />however, my 7yr old with hemophilia can prepare all the iv supplies & reconstitute his infusion (sterile vial & saline). We access his port and he can push his meds and is learning to de-access. We have been told that by 10-12 they start teaching them IV sticks (hands/arms, not his port) so they can be completely independent.
<br />
<br />I think the guideline is to let them lead, when they are ready let them try, under close supervision.

dswilson67

Dan was really young when he was able to get his pills ready, I think he was about 5 or so. I think CFers are more responsible from a younger age, because they have to be.

dswilson67

Dan was really young when he was able to get his pills ready, I think he was about 5 or so. I think CFers are more responsible from a younger age, because they have to be.

dswilson67

dswilson67

dswilson67