Children understanding the seriosness

Chilemom

I came from a big family as well (we were seven)and sometimes remember it was like that two or three bad news or difficult situation at the same time, nevertheless, for me it was and it is the best to have so many brothers and sister that you can really count on. Maybe for you sometimes (like for my mom) is exhausting, but is the best you are going to inheritance them.
About your situation with your son, I remember that one of my little sisters have complains with a treatment she has, and my mom ask my big brother to help her because for the little ones the big brothers are heroes, so maybe ask one of the oldest to speak with him-
Tell us how things work out

Chilemom

I came from a big family as well (we were seven)and sometimes remember it was like that two or three bad news or difficult situation at the same time, nevertheless, for me it was and it is the best to have so many brothers and sister that you can really count on. Maybe for you sometimes (like for my mom) is exhausting, but is the best you are going to inheritance them.
About your situation with your son, I remember that one of my little sisters have complains with a treatment she has, and my mom ask my big brother to help her because for the little ones the big brothers are heroes, so maybe ask one of the oldest to speak with him-

Chilemom

Chilemom

Chilemom

<br />About your situation with your son, I remember that one of my little sisters have complains with a treatment she has, and my mom ask my big brother to help her because for the little ones the big brothers are heroes, so maybe ask one of the oldest to speak with him-
<br />Tell us how things work out

holmfamily1992

Just recently we got Dylan involved in his treatments. We let him pound his front (under supervision of course) and we pound his back. This kind of gives him some responcibility in it all. Kind of makes him feel he is doing something about his own health.

I do thank God for what we do have and for what we dont. I could not imagine having a child with such a aggressive disease. I know CF can be but for right now for us, its not. My husband and I were talking last night on our way home from date night, which consisted of my sons basketball game lol, and we have seen such a change in him. Its very hard to watch a kid that was so full of energy and very happy all the time and now is very angry and not so full of energy. I mean, he is still happy but those spurts are fewer now. If he doesnt make the weight requirements to play football, Im not sure how he will take it.

Chilemom,
Thats a great idea about getting the other children involved. That is something I have to discuss with them. I know I talked to my 15 year old daughter about doing it when we cant be there in the morning and her biggest fear is that she wont do it right. I know she can, I think she is just a little bit affraid of this new adventure we are going on.

To Melissa,

Good idea about the car. We have tried to put it in "kid Freindly terms" but maybe he can understand this.
Thanks.

Tina

IMG]http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll15/holmfamiy/family-1.jpg[/IMG]

holmfamily1992

Just recently we got Dylan involved in his treatments. We let him pound his front (under supervision of course) and we pound his back. This kind of gives him some responcibility in it all. Kind of makes him feel he is doing something about his own health.

I do thank God for what we do have and for what we dont. I could not imagine having a child with such a aggressive disease. I know CF can be but for right now for us, its not. My husband and I were talking last night on our way home from date night, which consisted of my sons basketball game lol, and we have seen such a change in him. Its very hard to watch a kid that was so full of energy and very happy all the time and now is very angry and not so full of energy. I mean, he is still happy but those spurts are fewer now. If he doesnt make the weight requirements to play football, Im not sure how he will take it.

Chilemom,
Thats a great idea about getting the other children involved. That is something I have to discuss with them. I know I talked to my 15 year old daughter about doing it when we cant be there in the morning and her biggest fear is that she wont do it right. I know she can, I think she is just a little bit affraid of this new adventure we are going on.

To Melissa,

Good idea about the car. We have tried to put it in "kid Freindly terms" but maybe he can understand this.
Thanks.

Tina

holmfamily1992

Chilemom,

To Melissa,

Thanks.

Tina

holmfamily1992

Chilemom,

To Melissa,

Thanks.

Tina

holmfamily1992

<br />
<br />I do thank God for what we do have and for what we dont. I could not imagine having a child with such a aggressive disease. I know CF can be but for right now for us, its not. My husband and I were talking last night on our way home from date night, which consisted of my sons basketball game lol, and we have seen such a change in him. Its very hard to watch a kid that was so full of energy and very happy all the time and now is very angry and not so full of energy. I mean, he is still happy but those spurts are fewer now. If he doesnt make the weight requirements to play football, Im not sure how he will take it.
<br />
<br />Chilemom,
<br />Thats a great idea about getting the other children involved. That is something I have to discuss with them. I know I talked to my 15 year old daughter about doing it when we cant be there in the morning and her biggest fear is that she wont do it right. I know she can, I think she is just a little bit affraid of this new adventure we are going on.
<br />
<br />To Melissa,
<br />
<br />Good idea about the car. We have tried to put it in "kid Freindly terms" but maybe he can understand this.
<br />Thanks.
<br />
<br />Tina
<br />
<br />IMG]http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll15/holmfamiy/family-1.jpg[/IMG]

CJsmom

Although CJ isn't doing all the treatments, he still uses his neb on a regular basis and is in charge of taking his own medicines (asthma, allergy, vitamins, etc) with very few reminders needed. He also does his PT stetches on his own.
CJ (hes 13) knows he has a choice, he can do it and feel pretty good, or not do it and feel crappy. He has the control to decide how he feels. I think at 10, your definately old enough to understand consequences. Sure, you can skip your treatments but if you get sick, remember it will be because you didn't take care of yourself. Granted, some things can't be prevented but some things can. I really think kids need to realize that there are consequences, good and bad for all their actions. (wow, i sound mean when I say that LOL, I'm a good mommy, really!!)
I highly recommend Lisa Greenes book Raising a child with Health Issues. She covers this topic alot in her book, teaching kids that they do have control, and teaching parents how to accept that they can't control everything.

CJsmom

Although CJ isn't doing all the treatments, he still uses his neb on a regular basis and is in charge of taking his own medicines (asthma, allergy, vitamins, etc) with very few reminders needed. He also does his PT stetches on his own.
CJ (hes 13) knows he has a choice, he can do it and feel pretty good, or not do it and feel crappy. He has the control to decide how he feels. I think at 10, your definately old enough to understand consequences. Sure, you can skip your treatments but if you get sick, remember it will be because you didn't take care of yourself. Granted, some things can't be prevented but some things can. I really think kids need to realize that there are consequences, good and bad for all their actions. (wow, i sound mean when I say that LOL, I'm a good mommy, really!!)
I highly recommend Lisa Greenes book Raising a child with Health Issues. She covers this topic alot in her book, teaching kids that they do have control, and teaching parents how to accept that they can't control everything.

CJsmom

CJsmom

CJsmom

<br />CJ (hes 13) knows he has a choice, he can do it and feel pretty good, or not do it and feel crappy. He has the control to decide how he feels. I think at 10, your definately old enough to understand consequences. Sure, you can skip your treatments but if you get sick, remember it will be because you didn't take care of yourself. Granted, some things can't be prevented but some things can. I really think kids need to realize that there are consequences, good and bad for all their actions. (wow, i sound mean when I say that LOL, I'm a good mommy, really!!)
<br />I highly recommend Lisa Greenes book Raising a child with Health Issues. She covers this topic alot in her book, teaching kids that they do have control, and teaching parents how to accept that they can't control everything.

holmfamily1992

I think you are completely on target. He does have a choice in this whole thing. And maybe as he gets older he can see that. It will be hard for my husband husband to realize it. I will look around for that book for him.

Tina

holmfamily1992

I think you are completely on target. He does have a choice in this whole thing. And maybe as he gets older he can see that. It will be hard for my husband husband to realize it. I will look around for that book for him.

Tina

holmfamily1992

Tina

holmfamily1992

Tina

holmfamily1992

<br />
<br />Tina