choking common is CF babies?

S

sdelorenzo

No, it is not common for babies with cf to choke and stop breathing. It is not at all common for babies with cf to require oxygen either. They take in oxygen fine unless they have pneumonia. Babies with cf are born with healthy lungs. It takes many years to require oxygen on a regular basis. Has she had a lung x-ray recently? Has she recently had a cold, cough? If she has, then perhaps with all of that mucus you are referring to she might have pneumonia. I remember my 4 month old baby coughing and what seemed like he stopped breathing briefly before we rushed him to the emergency room. He did have pneumonia. The area around his rib cage was sucking in when he took a breathe. I didn't realize that should not happening. CF babies with pneumonia require hospitalization and IV antibiotics. Reflux could also be problem for her. Is she on an antacid. But that wouldn't cause her not to breathe. Hope you get some answers quickly.
Sharon

S

sdelorenzo

No, it is not common for babies with cf to choke and stop breathing. It is not at all common for babies with cf to require oxygen either. They take in oxygen fine unless they have pneumonia. Babies with cf are born with healthy lungs. It takes many years to require oxygen on a regular basis. Has she had a lung x-ray recently? Has she recently had a cold, cough? If she has, then perhaps with all of that mucus you are referring to she might have pneumonia. I remember my 4 month old baby coughing and what seemed like he stopped breathing briefly before we rushed him to the emergency room. He did have pneumonia. The area around his rib cage was sucking in when he took a breathe. I didn't realize that should not happening. CF babies with pneumonia require hospitalization and IV antibiotics. Reflux could also be problem for her. Is she on an antacid. But that wouldn't cause her not to breathe. Hope you get some answers quickly.
Sharon

S

sdelorenzo

Sharon

S

sdelorenzo

Sharon

S

sdelorenzo

<br />Sharon

mama9909

I recently had a similiar experience with my son who is 3 motnhs old. They told me it was caused by his reflux. They told me the problem is they reflux and then choke on it causing them to cough and turn blue. Currently I have to thicken his milk/formula with 1 tsp of rice creeal per ounce of milk/formula. Also they increased his prevacid that he takes for his reflux. I do know that it is VERY scary!! Talk to your doctor about thickening her milk or taking a medication for reflux.
Good luck!! Christie

mama9909

I recently had a similiar experience with my son who is 3 motnhs old. They told me it was caused by his reflux. They told me the problem is they reflux and then choke on it causing them to cough and turn blue. Currently I have to thicken his milk/formula with 1 tsp of rice creeal per ounce of milk/formula. Also they increased his prevacid that he takes for his reflux. I do know that it is VERY scary!! Talk to your doctor about thickening her milk or taking a medication for reflux.
Good luck!! Christie

mama9909

Good luck!! Christie

mama9909

Good luck!! Christie

mama9909

<br />Good luck!! Christie

mama9909

Good luck!! Christie

mama9909

Good luck!! Christie

mama9909

Good luck!! Christie

mama9909

Good luck!! Christie

mama9909

<br />Good luck!! Christie

mama9909

Im sorry I made a mistake....I add 1/2 tsp. rice cereal per ounce of milk/formula. It has made a big defference on his reflux!!

mama9909

Im sorry I made a mistake....I add 1/2 tsp. rice cereal per ounce of milk/formula. It has made a big defference on his reflux!!

mama9909

mama9909

mama9909