colistin

detroitislove

I have been on tobi (28 days on/28 days off) since i was 10 (19 now), and my germs have grown resistant to it. my docs are switching me to colistin.

my doctor said they dont usually perscribe this med. any one know why they wouldn't perscribe it? just wondering...

also, i haven't had any yet...does it taste as bad as tobi?
is it 28on / 28off also?
how long does it take to nebulize?

thanks!

detroitislove

I have been on tobi (28 days on/28 days off) since i was 10 (19 now), and my germs have grown resistant to it. my docs are switching me to colistin.

my doctor said they dont usually perscribe this med. any one know why they wouldn't perscribe it? just wondering...

is it 28on / 28off also?

thanks!

detroitislove

is it 28on / 28off also?

thanks!

Emily65Roses

It's only a nebulized med very recently. It was first an IV and intramuscular med. It's not as widely prescribed as say... Tobi or Pulmozyme. But I do it month on / month off alternating with hypertonic saline (February is a Colistin month! haha).

The taste takes a little getting used to... BUT I personally cannot stand Tobi, and won't take it. I can handle Colistin with little trouble. It has kind of a sweet / rotten taste. But the bit of sweet makes the rotten not so awful.

I nebulize it for about the same as I nebulize anything else, 15 minutes, give or take.

Emily65Roses

It's only a nebulized med very recently. It was first an IV and intramuscular med. It's not as widely prescribed as say... Tobi or Pulmozyme. But I do it month on / month off alternating with hypertonic saline (February is a Colistin month! haha).

The taste takes a little getting used to... BUT I personally cannot stand Tobi, and won't take it. I can handle Colistin with little trouble. It has kind of a sweet / rotten taste. But the bit of sweet makes the rotten not so awful.

I nebulize it for about the same as I nebulize anything else, 15 minutes, give or take.

Emily65Roses

jfarel

Well, I take it and don't have any problems. It also tastes much better than Tobi.

A couple reasons I think they don't prescribe it as much. 1. Tobi is a better drug. 2. Side effects (broncho spasm, chest tightness etc) 3. Insurance issues

It took forever for my insurance to cover the drug. It seems to be working well though. I couldn't take the tobi anymore because my chest was getting so tight, i couldn't breathe. One thing you may want to ask your doctor about is trying it at a lower dose to begin with. Typically the script is for 150 mg, but I take 75 mg twice a day. No problems.

Tastes like butterscotch.

jfarel

Well, I take it and don't have any problems. It also tastes much better than Tobi.

A couple reasons I think they don't prescribe it as much. 1. Tobi is a better drug. 2. Side effects (broncho spasm, chest tightness etc) 3. Insurance issues

It took forever for my insurance to cover the drug. It seems to be working well though. I couldn't take the tobi anymore because my chest was getting so tight, i couldn't breathe. One thing you may want to ask your doctor about is trying it at a lower dose to begin with. Typically the script is for 150 mg, but I take 75 mg twice a day. No problems.

jfarel

Emily65Roses

jfarel makes a good point. Colistin is about $6,400 for a month. So if they can prescribe any of the others instead, they do. Cheaper.

Emily65Roses

jfarel makes a good point. Colistin is about $6,400 for a month. So if they can prescribe any of the others instead, they do. Cheaper.

Emily65Roses

donnadee

I just started taking it. My doc said that it was an older drug. One thing they told me in the hospital is that it can destroy the normal respiratory flora, so they said that no one else should be in the room with you when you do it. But I don't think it tastes as bad as Tobi and doesn't take as long either.

donnadee

I just started taking it. My doc said that it was an older drug. One thing they told me in the hospital is that it can destroy the normal respiratory flora, so they said that no one else should be in the room with you when you do it. But I don't think it tastes as bad as Tobi and doesn't take as long either.

donnadee

donnadee

donnadee

donnadee

donnadee

donnadee