Collapsed lung

missT

Thanks for all the replies. The lung collapsed 100%. It was actually a really horrible, paniful, experience. The top of the lung that collapsed has had a small collapse since 1995. I never really worried about it (until now). I had a really bad cold a few weeks back with terrible congestion and I self medicated with Cipro and all sorts of Aerosols. What is a pleurodesis? I am going to start exercizing today because I feel so weak and my muscle mass seems to have disappeared. Ugh, my doc rec anti- depressents but I am so wary of mind drugs. I am just rambling but I am so sick of being sick.

missT

Thanks for all the replies. The lung collapsed 100%. It was actually a really horrible, paniful, experience. The top of the lung that collapsed has had a small collapse since 1995. I never really worried about it (until now). I had a really bad cold a few weeks back with terrible congestion and I self medicated with Cipro and all sorts of Aerosols. What is a pleurodesis? I am going to start exercizing today because I feel so weak and my muscle mass seems to have disappeared. Ugh, my doc rec anti- depressents but I am so wary of mind drugs. I am just rambling but I am so sick of being sick.

missT

missT

missT

sweetpea21

Basically, a pleurodesis is a procedure in which talc solution is pushed through the chest tube to cause the lung to scar to the chest wall. This reduces the risk of having another collapse.

It does cause an increased risk for bleeding following a transplant due to the old lung needing to be scraped loose from the chest wall. In the past, a transplant was not an option if a pleurodesis had been done but this is no longer true.

This was explained to me before the option of a pleurodesis was offered. Due to my collapse being so large I chose to have the procedure.

sweetpea21

Basically, a pleurodesis is a procedure in which talc solution is pushed through the chest tube to cause the lung to scar to the chest wall. This reduces the risk of having another collapse.

It does cause an increased risk for bleeding following a transplant due to the old lung needing to be scraped loose from the chest wall. In the past, a transplant was not an option if a pleurodesis had been done but this is no longer true.

This was explained to me before the option of a pleurodesis was offered. Due to my collapse being so large I chose to have the procedure.

sweetpea21

sweetpea21

sweetpea21

<br />
<br />It does cause an increased risk for bleeding following a transplant due to the old lung needing to be scraped loose from the chest wall. In the past, a transplant was not an option if a pleurodesis had been done but this is no longer true.
<br />
<br />This was explained to me before the option of a pleurodesis was offered. Due to my collapse being so large I chose to have the procedure.

mander31880

I have had 2 lung collapses caused by procedures like a central line & port. They both required chest tubes and took over 10 days to complete re-inflate. Even with the chest tube in I did all the exercising I could. I know it's painful but I would just get some pain meds then do lunges or squats. I didn't have the endurance that I usually would but it helped and made me feel better. It's also a great alternative since you can't walk anywhere if your on suction.

mander31880

I have had 2 lung collapses caused by procedures like a central line & port. They both required chest tubes and took over 10 days to complete re-inflate. Even with the chest tube in I did all the exercising I could. I know it's painful but I would just get some pain meds then do lunges or squats. I didn't have the endurance that I usually would but it helped and made me feel better. It's also a great alternative since you can't walk anywhere if your on suction.

mander31880

mander31880

mander31880

Allan

Hello MissT, I am 27 yrs old and I had my first lung collapse April 2008 and it was very scary and painful. Two chesttubes were inserted and I was in the hospital for about 3 weeks.
After the collapse I was feeling the way you are, scared, confused because I never thought this would happen and I had never heard of lungs collapsing, and what got me the most was the anxiety and depression, I was scared to leave the house or do anything that could cause another collapse. I did take some medicine for anxiety but after 2 months I was better and the anxiety went away. And I was living normal again until another collapse but now on my left side but it was little and I was just observed at the hospital with oxygen to help the lung inflate. To make the story shorter I have had 6 more collapses on the left side two of those big enough to get chest tubes in but I already knew what was going to happen and what I was going to feel. I also had a procedure done on the left side called pleurodesis and it has not collapsed again in over a year. It was a good thing to get the procedure done at that time but now I am on the transplant list and doctors said that the procedure makes it harder for surgeons to remove the lung because that procedure sticks the lung to the wall preventing the lung from collapsing.
I know what you are going through and I want to tell you that you have to be strong and keep doing cpt to get all that junk out because the mucus blocks the airways and air has to go out and that is when a lung collapse happens.
Just live your life normal.

Allan

Hello MissT, I am 27 yrs old and I had my first lung collapse April 2008 and it was very scary and painful. Two chesttubes were inserted and I was in the hospital for about 3 weeks.
After the collapse I was feeling the way you are, scared, confused because I never thought this would happen and I had never heard of lungs collapsing, and what got me the most was the anxiety and depression, I was scared to leave the house or do anything that could cause another collapse. I did take some medicine for anxiety but after 2 months I was better and the anxiety went away. And I was living normal again until another collapse but now on my left side but it was little and I was just observed at the hospital with oxygen to help the lung inflate. To make the story shorter I have had 6 more collapses on the left side two of those big enough to get chest tubes in but I already knew what was going to happen and what I was going to feel. I also had a procedure done on the left side called pleurodesis and it has not collapsed again in over a year. It was a good thing to get the procedure done at that time but now I am on the transplant list and doctors said that the procedure makes it harder for surgeons to remove the lung because that procedure sticks the lung to the wall preventing the lung from collapsing.
I know what you are going through and I want to tell you that you have to be strong and keep doing cpt to get all that junk out because the mucus blocks the airways and air has to go out and that is when a lung collapse happens.

Allan

Allan

Allan

<br />After the collapse I was feeling the way you are, scared, confused because I never thought this would happen and I had never heard of lungs collapsing, and what got me the most was the anxiety and depression, I was scared to leave the house or do anything that could cause another collapse. I did take some medicine for anxiety but after 2 months I was better and the anxiety went away. And I was living normal again until another collapse but now on my left side but it was little and I was just observed at the hospital with oxygen to help the lung inflate. To make the story shorter I have had 6 more collapses on the left side two of those big enough to get chest tubes in but I already knew what was going to happen and what I was going to feel. I also had a procedure done on the left side called pleurodesis and it has not collapsed again in over a year. It was a good thing to get the procedure done at that time but now I am on the transplant list and doctors said that the procedure makes it harder for surgeons to remove the lung because that procedure sticks the lung to the wall preventing the lung from collapsing.
<br />I know what you are going through and I want to tell you that you have to be strong and keep doing cpt to get all that junk out because the mucus blocks the airways and air has to go out and that is when a lung collapse happens.
<br />Just live your life normal.