College

Abbs

I was just wondering, has anyone on here moved away to go to college? I was thinking about going away next year, but I'm kind of scared. Is it harder to deal with meds, feeding tubes, etc? I've heard that a lot of people have deteriorated health when they move away from home, is this true?

Abbs

I was just wondering, has anyone on here moved away to go to college? I was thinking about going away next year, but I'm kind of scared. Is it harder to deal with meds, feeding tubes, etc? I've heard that a lot of people have deteriorated health when they move away from home, is this true?

Abbs

Abbs

Abbs

marisalynn

I didn't move away to go to college. I stayed at home and went to a nearby community college, but I did move in with my boyfriend my sophomore year of college. It is very exciting for me to move out on my own, but like you, I was a little scared. My advice to you is: if you are planning on living in a dorm, try to find a private dorm, which sometimes can be difficult and maybe even more expensive. Also, just try to stay as faithful to your medication regimen as possible. And if you do have a roommate, just be honest and open about your CF. Explain the reason for all your equipment and treatments, but don't overwhelm them with a bunch of details that they may not understand.It may get to a point that they are reminding you to take you treatments! Other than that, just have fun! This is a very exciting time in your life! Good luck!
Marisa RN, 21 w/CF

marisalynn

I didn't move away to go to college. I stayed at home and went to a nearby community college, but I did move in with my boyfriend my sophomore year of college. It is very exciting for me to move out on my own, but like you, I was a little scared. My advice to you is: if you are planning on living in a dorm, try to find a private dorm, which sometimes can be difficult and maybe even more expensive. Also, just try to stay as faithful to your medication regimen as possible. And if you do have a roommate, just be honest and open about your CF. Explain the reason for all your equipment and treatments, but don't overwhelm them with a bunch of details that they may not understand.It may get to a point that they are reminding you to take you treatments! Other than that, just have fun! This is a very exciting time in your life! Good luck!
Marisa RN, 21 w/CF

marisalynn

Marisa RN, 21 w/CF

marisalynn

Marisa RN, 21 w/CF

marisalynn

<br />Marisa RN, 21 w/CF

maddie256

I went away and found that it wasn't for me. I found it very difficult to stay on top of everything. I agree a private room would be best, I roomed with a girl I went to high school with, she knew me and about my CF and everything but I still had a hard time doing meds in front of her. I waited til she was in class and then would start my treatments, however if I slept in and missed my little window of free time, I would just skip everything which caused me to get sick. That was just my experience, and everyone's is different but I guess you will never know unless you try. I loved going away and don't regret it, in fact I would only regret it if I didn't go away to experience everything on my own.

But its up to you, and how you will be able to handle everything. I agree it is a very exciting time and love every minute of it.

In the end you will make the right decision, weather it is going away or not. Good Luck- everything will work out! =)

maddie256

I went away and found that it wasn't for me. I found it very difficult to stay on top of everything. I agree a private room would be best, I roomed with a girl I went to high school with, she knew me and about my CF and everything but I still had a hard time doing meds in front of her. I waited til she was in class and then would start my treatments, however if I slept in and missed my little window of free time, I would just skip everything which caused me to get sick. That was just my experience, and everyone's is different but I guess you will never know unless you try. I loved going away and don't regret it, in fact I would only regret it if I didn't go away to experience everything on my own.

But its up to you, and how you will be able to handle everything. I agree it is a very exciting time and love every minute of it.

In the end you will make the right decision, weather it is going away or not. Good Luck- everything will work out! =)

maddie256

maddie256

maddie256

<br />
<br />But its up to you, and how you will be able to handle everything. I agree it is a very exciting time and love every minute of it.
<br />
<br />In the end you will make the right decision, weather it is going away or not. Good Luck- everything will work out! =)