Comments on Real World cast memeber.

anonymous

I watched the first show on the real world and i also couldn't believe that Frankie would smoke knowing how it will effect her, and her cf. I am a newlywed of a man with CF, and knowing that we don't really know 100% how long he may live, and then to watch her harm herself that way makes me want to cry. We pray everyday that he will live to our daughter grow up, and get married, but we don't really know if that will happen. Frankie needs to wake up and see how much she is affecting everybody that is watching the show. I hope that her being on the show will enlighten americans to the disease, and with all the coverage she is getting just from the first show, we know it will.praying for a cure

anonymous

Jenna- that was a wonderful contribution and i am so sorry for the loss of your sisters. Your response made me think also about how despite the fact that I live a normal life but still have CF, there are a lot of CF people out there who are much sicker than me, and younger, and if I didn't dislike Frankie's attitude already, I did even more simply because the way she is acting is not only sad on her part, but it is extremely insulting to those of us (you) who have seen firsthand the harsh reality and pain of this disease. Blatant disregard of the disease, even in her explanation of it (which was incorrect), insults those of us who struggle with it every day, and take it seriously.

anonymous

Hi! I am 25 years old with CF. I was diagnosed when I was 18. I also play tennis and I have been teaching 1st grade for 3 years now. I would love to talk with you. If you are interested, please respond. Alaina

anonymous

I started the topic and im glad to see there has been good conversation, but I have to agree with some people Frankie will not be an inspiration to me. I totally agree that it is an individuals right to do what they please, even if it is smoking w/cf. Dealing with cf since birth my motto has always been live life to the fulliest like im sure most of us do, but there is a fine line that should not be crossed. I feel Frankie needs to rememebr there are younger cf patients watching her every move, she choose to be in the spotlight. Another point, MTV does edit and create PLOTS in the real world episodes, rememebr its entertainment. To Alaina, I would love to chat. AOL name = beaudz93 or email beaudry93@hotmail.com.

anonymous

well i am not suprised becasue some people still aren't in reality that it isnt real to them, cause no harm has really been set inLindsey sOLENBERGER

coryma

"Dealing with cf since birth my motto has always been live life to the fulliest like im sure most of us do, but there is a fine line that should not be crossed." Yup, very well said. When I think of people that can be used as role models to those with CF, Mallory Code, a golfer with CF at the U. of Florida, and Charlotte Reardon, a cross-country runner with CF at the U. of Rochester (who incidentally was on a very interesting Discovery Channel documentary on DC Childrens hospital a few years ago) come to my mind. They are both collegians and athletes, people taking their lives seriously, taking very good care of their bodies, and having fun with it. They will go far with their lives. Frankie and others like her, I'm not so sure.

anonymous

Yeah I saw the first episode of the Real World by chance by walking into someone else's room here at college in Minnesota, and the second I walk in Frankie starts talking about how she has CF and it was a relief to me to see someone her age still doing so well. I'm 19 too (like you Scarlett. P.S. where are you from? timmyk032000@yahoo.com if you want to talk, i've never known anyone else with CF) and I'm doing perfect, but I still get shaken up by the possibilities of the disease down the road you know. I hope they do educate people on CF on the show, I personally did my senior high school speech on it last year and the only thing that came of it was my classmates being more knowledgable and gaining some support for a secret I kept from them for 13 years.

anonymous

Hi Alaina, My name is Tim and I'm almost 20 and I have Cf too. I was just reading through these messages since I happened to see the Real World Episode with Frankie the girl with Cf, and I've never known anyone else with Cf so i was just responding to your note, on the off chance you'd want to talk. my email is timmyk032000@yahoo.com if you're interested. Bye!

anonymous

I'm the mother of a CF son 14 yrs. old........... only found this site yesterday and well,,,,,,,,, I'mso glad to find a group of people who have CF or have a loved one with CF. And the discussions ofthe CF Real World....... how refreshing to hear the opinions. My son is going to be thrilled when Itell him about this site. He wants to e-mail with another CF person....................................... and nowso many!!!!!!!!!!! The Real World young lady,,,,,,,,,,,,,, she is just being a kid!

anonymous

Timmy032000...You said you go to college in Minnesota... I grew up in St. Paul and I go to the University of Minnesota. What school do you go to?

anonymous

What you said about Frankie on the Real World and how they are portraying her and what people's impressions of Cystic Fibrosis is going to be is exactly what I thought about when I watched it. I was mad because I had always thought about auditioning for the Real World thinking they would choose me because I am different...Then I saw Frankie and thought there goes my chance to be on the show! I was happy though to see someone on a popular show that alot of young people watch and can learn about CF, hopefully they will show Frankie talking about CF a little more and showing her do her treatments! I don't want people to get the wrong impression of us CFers.

anonymous

Like we're al psychologically messed up like jer and people might assume we are all like that. You're right I was going to try one day and get on that show with my CF but she had to take it and give it a bad name by what happened the first show. They might think we're scared of boats too.

anonymous

Hi I am engaged to a 33 year old man with cf. The Real World episode upset me because Frankie should take her chance to show the world how serious cf really is. I meet people everyday who have never heard of cf. I didn't even know anything until I met Shane. I hope that the show will show what living with cf is really like. Not just for those who have the disease but everyone affected by someone who does. We try not to let any day pass up by and she is taking for granted that she is still pretty healthy. We will just have to see what develops. ASander6@tampabay.rr.com

anonymous

Hi I am engaged to a 33 year old man with cf. The Real World episode upset me because Frankie should take her chance to show the world how serious cf really is. I meet people everyday who have never heard of cf. I didn't even know anything until I met Shane. I hope that the show will show what living with cf is really like. Not just for those who have the disease but everyone affected by someone who does. We try not to let any day pass up by and she is taking for granted that she is still pretty healthy. We will just have to see what develops. ASander6@tampabay.rr.com

anonymous

I do not have CF ,however, my brother has it & has had for the past 34 years...we ALL have dealt with some sort of hospital visit or another in my family...I have met so many wonderful children & adults in the hospital with CF. My brothers' health has been failing miserably in the last couple of years. He has always told me that I could never condemn a person for living especially if they have something that will take the life they have away...possibly. I can't blame Frankie for doing what she is doing because I would do the same. I would be way too lost to even want to comprehend what could happen to me...the possibilities would kill me alone...just an opinion!

anonymous

Hi there everyone. First off I would like to send my thoughts and prayers out to everyone diagnosed with/ has loved ones with CF. I have watched the recent Real World and have never heard of CF before but honestly after hearing Frankie's description, and even after that other girl said thay her mom's brother died of it , i didn't think it was THAT serious, just maybe that he was a rare case of CF and it got severe. I was born with asthma and as many know asthma CAN be fatal, but like I, there are several people who living with it without too much trouble. Thats how I percieved the situation might have been similar to after watching the Real World. After seeing the show I was interested in learning more about it but hadn't gotten the chance. However, this afternoon (Thurs. 15), i was watching one of my favorite shows, "A Wedding Story" and saw a couple on there who was my age and thought wow, thats so great that they found each other's soul mate already but they are so young. I could personally never see myself getting married right now but It didnt bother me, I was happily surprised to have them show that love has no age. :) Anyway, they went on with the show and then the bride mentioned that she has CF, and then the camera pans down to her and her mom sorting out all of these pills and organizing them in those plastic containers that label Mon.-Sun. (i'm sure u guys know what i'm talking about. I apologize for not being able to give a great explanation). Then they also showed the groom explaining how he helps her prepare her med's (the one he was talking about in specific was a combination of liquids) he said he had to mix them together and he then poured them into this clear plastic looking mouth piece. After seeing all these med's she had to take daily, my heart dropped. I didnt realize how severe it can be especially since this girl looked perfectly healthy to anyone who didnt know and then it may me think back to Frankie. Back to "A wedding story", the wedding was goregous and she seemed glowing with happiness, i just couldnt stop smiling because she just seemed so happy. Well at the end of the show the screen went black and it had "In memory of..(her name) 1982-2002." I was so sad and shocked at the same time. I wanted to cry but was so overwhelmed with emotions of sadness and confusion that I thought I really have to learn more about this now. Although its now been several hours since i saw the show, it is the sole reason i am here now researching about it. I don't blame Frankie for downplaying the reality of the disease, I can understand it totally. I mean yes she volunteered herself for the show but she did just move into a strange area to her with 7 strangers. Maybe it's just me but I dont like sharing several things about myself with people i just met eventhough i know i'd be living with them, i'd like to take a lil' time into telling them (maybe a week or so). Just so i have a chance to get to know them first and especially on your first night there, with all of the adrenaline rush of being there and everything i'd feel that sharing that side of me wouldn't be the best time. Maybe some of you are upset, or wondering how i can say this when i have no idea what's like to live with it daily but you're right. I don't know and as mentioned that is why I am here, i want to learn more about it and who else to learn from other than from those first hand. The reason why i feel that i wouldnt share that info. right away is that about a month ago i was diagnosed with Cervical Cancer. I am a 20 yr. old college student living 3 hours away from home to go to school so when i first found out, my roommates were those i came "home" to. I had to think about everything in my head myself before thinking about if/when i'd tell my parents (b/c at that point nothing was definite yet) and so i spoke to one of my friends about it ,who also happen to be one of my roommates. She was supportive but i now wish i hadnt mentioned it to her at the time b/c everything is now different between us. I think maybe Frankie wanted to inform her roommates so they were aware in case of anything, but that it was "no big deal" so they didn't worry and/or didnt treat her differently and got to know her for the real person she is instead of for having CF. I hope this novel of an entry makes some sense as to where i'm coming from. Luckily, my health is currently fine but i can somewhat relate to that situation. So with Frankie, I'd say to give it some time and i'm sure she'll come around more with it. Real World is a reality show but MTV likes to educate young people on anything and everything so I'm sure they will go into it further in some way, down the road. ~Now it's time to rest your eyes after reading my new "book" :p If you would like to contact me , my email address is Sweetybeat@aol.com and just write something about CF in the subject. Thanks. :)Take care all and God Bless, Gina -20 yr old w/o CF (always willing to learn more if you'd like to share)

anonymous

I am a mother who has a child with cf. My daughter is only 1 1/2 years old. When I fist watched the real world I was very upset. After the initial shock, I realized that she is a young woman who wants to enjoy her life. Those of us who are older have all done it, regardless of wether we are healthy or not. It is easy for us all to be judgemental, until we have walked in thier shoes, we have no right to judge or cast stones. It is not an easy disease for anyone to live with, so let her maker her own choices and decisions. She is the one who has to live with them. NOT ANY OF US, SO LEAVE HER ALONE!! Christina/ mother of daugher w/cf

scarlett

I wish I could shut up about this one, because I think poor Frankie has been judged and psychoanalyzed <i>ad infinitum </i>. But after seeing the first 3 episodes of this season and consistently reading a few different boards where the Frankie and CF debate rages on, I have some ideas. 1) Some people seem to blame MTV and find it irresponsible of the network to show a person with a chronic health condition who does not behave in a "normal," "appropriate" or "admirable" manner. Even further, some people actually think Frankie shouldn't have been cast as having CF makes her too fragile to be on the show, and that MTV was therefore irresponsible in putting her on the show. I find that ridiculous. "The Real World" was the pioneer of reality TV. Showing people doing things that can hurt them or others, showing people dealing with real problems, showing people who are not perfect is a lot more realistic than reality shows where contestants eat bugs or marry strangers.2) I find it prejudiced when people think it's not okay to show someone who's sick doing something wrong, yet don't complain about all the housemates who are underage and constantly drinking. What's with the double standard? Just because Frankie was born with CF does not mean she doesn't have the right to rebel. She has much more to rebel against than the young people on the show who go to party schools and just love getting smashed. In the premier, one housemate (Jamie) remarked, "We're young and we just want to have fun." With CF, it's not all about having fun; I know it sounds trite to say one grows up fast but I'll say it anyway. In my opinion, that just makes it all the more justifiable when one wants to act like a stupid young person and do what everyone else is doing. Sometimes you feel so different from everyone else, these young people who really have not begun their lives and you're worrying about when yours will end . . .3) But sometimes you're not. I think we all have moments where we think we're invincible and immortal, whether we have CF or not. No one should assume that Frankie feels that way just because she smokes or treats her CF like a small deal. We've heard her say that "most people her age (with CF) have had transplants or are dead." Whether this be true or not, it's her opinion. Perhaps <i>she's</i> been miseducated and was raised to believe she'd never get this far; no wonder she could be confused about how serious her situation is. And if she does fancy herself unbreakable? Maybe she IS in denial . . .4) . . . which reminds me, I think that Frankie has a lot of emotional stuff going on that we'll see in later episodes. I, for one, am so glad not to see an awesome cope-er (I know that's not a word) on TV. There are people with cf who thrive and defy expectations and break records and adjust marvellously, and then there are those of us who cannot handle it so fantastically. I'm guessing Frankie's the latter. She has admitted to being very insecure and hating herself, and while I don't know if that's CF related or not, I'll venture that it's part of what drives her to be self-destructive. For everyone who's accused her of being a Hot Topic wearing poseur who is desperate for attention, hold on for the rest of the season and I think you'll change your mind.5) The message that I hope comes out of all this Frankie business is that not everyone with CF acts or thinks exactly the same way. Just because I have the same disease as she I will not claim to understand her perfectly. But I will say I think she is a very cool chick and I wish her the best of luck in her post-real world endeavors.scarlettp.s. Frankie has been posting on the message board at mtv.com, and says she's quit smoking. Snaps for Frankie!

buffikins23

<blockquote>Quote<br><hr><i>Originally posted by: <b>beaudry93</b></i>Hi this is my first time posting. Im a 23 yr old male and have had CF since birth. I play hockey and tennis and Im currently student teaching to become an elementary teacher and im in good health. Just curious how the CF community felt about the MTV Real World cast member with CF. If this is news to you I found out yesterday as i wacthed the first episode. SHe smokes and seems a little uneasy with it. I myslef am worried about how MTV will potray CF while using information that is unresearched and wrong, because the real world tends to do this to create drama. Hopefully this will be a step in the right direction for CF awareness , as long as it is correct information and not just MTV drama. hope you comment.<hr></blockquote>