considering a feeding tube

pjspiegle

Answer to questions based on our experience:

1. It does not have any effects on his daily activities

2. His doctor would prefer him to keep it in until he is at least 25 with the hopes that he will just keep it because it is so much easier when a nutrition issue arises. Technically, I believe he could take it out when he turns 21 if he really wants to.

3. He only complains of feeling overfull if he tries to bolus 3 cans all at once, which we don't do or try to do anymore because it isn't effective to do it that way for him.

4. I believe that he began gaining weight within the first couple of months, it was so long ago that its hard to remember.

5. I also don't remember what it did for his PFT's, I am thinking they did go up because he had a 122% baseline at one time. His current is 107%, while we are still hoping to get back to his baseline of 112%, not sure we will make it or not and really can't complain about the 107%. It did take us almost 2 years to get back to the 107% and it seems to only be lasting a couple of weeks as he is going back down again. Reality is that we may have to accept the 98% but we are still not willing to give up, I should say, he isn't ready to give up yet.

I noticed that he is on Creon, when was the last time the changed his enzymes? I would really push for the Pancreacarb MS 8's or 16's, guessing the same age as Nathan it would be the 16's. The change over to these enzymes made a huge difference for Nathan and for my friends duaghters as well. Dr. Accurso believes they are the best enzyme for CF currently. Changing enzymes also helped with weight gain for Nathan.

Getting 5000 calories in a day isn't as hard as I thought after I got some practical advice on how to help him accomplish it. Following is a sample of a day for how he does it:
9:00 AM- Breakfast - 2 Eggo Waffles, 1/2 cup syrup, 2 cups chocolate Milk = 1140 calories; 10:00 am - 1 can chocolate boost plus = 360 calories; 12:00 - 2 cups spaghetti O's, 2 cups chocolate milk = 700 calories; 2:00 - 1 Nestle Crunch bar, 1 can cholcolate booost plus = 580 calories; 5:00 - 1 cup Romain Lettuce, 1/3 cup tomatoes, 2 tbsps. Dorothy Lynch Dressing, 1 cup Chicken Fettuccine, 12 ounces Pepsi= 590 calories; 7:00 - 1 can chocolate boost plus = 360 calories; 10:00 - Hungry Man Boneless Pork; 2 cups chocolate milk = 1270 calories; Total - 5000 calories.
Eating out helps him bump the calories and usually allows him to skip a couple of boosts if he wants. The key for us was to find a supplement like the boost plus that he likes and the hungry man meals to substitute for the nutreen 2.0 that he would bolus at between 9 and 10 pm if he chooses not to eat the hungry man or something with at least a total of 1000 calories.
What made me get the hungry man meals was because we noticed that when he was in the hospital having a tune-up, he would eat another meal around 10 pm because the cafeteria was open 24/7, he had to stay up for his last treatment at midnight, and he was gaining weight eating that 4th late night meal. Needless to say, I was not about to cook another dinner for him at 10:00 at night, so we started looking into TV dinners that he could microwave himself and found that the hungry mans had outrageous amounts of calories and he loves them. There are a lot of TV dinners on the market that pack well over 500 calories a piece, so again, key would be finding some that he likes. I have a freezer so when they go on sale, I stock up, I also go to Sams Club as they have various frozen sandwhiches and stuff that he likes too that are loaded with calories. It might be worth a try while you are waiting on timing for the tube.

Sorry this is so long, I hope it helps,

Patty

pjspiegle

2. His doctor would prefer him to keep it in until he is at least 25 with the hopes that he will just keep it because it is so much easier when a nutrition issue arises. Technically, I believe he could take it out when he turns 21 if he really wants to.

3. He only complains of feeling overfull if he tries to bolus 3 cans all at once, which we don't do or try to do anymore because it isn't effective to do it that way for him.

4. I believe that he began gaining weight within the first couple of months, it was so long ago that its hard to remember.

5. I also don't remember what it did for his PFT's, I am thinking they did go up because he had a 122% baseline at one time. His current is 107%, while we are still hoping to get back to his baseline of 112%, not sure we will make it or not and really can't complain about the 107%. It did take us almost 2 years to get back to the 107% and it seems to only be lasting a couple of weeks as he is going back down again. Reality is that we may have to accept the 98% but we are still not willing to give up, I should say, he isn't ready to give up yet.

I noticed that he is on Creon, when was the last time the changed his enzymes? I would really push for the Pancreacarb MS 8's or 16's, guessing the same age as Nathan it would be the 16's. The change over to these enzymes made a huge difference for Nathan and for my friends duaghters as well. Dr. Accurso believes they are the best enzyme for CF currently. Changing enzymes also helped with weight gain for Nathan.

Getting 5000 calories in a day isn't as hard as I thought after I got some practical advice on how to help him accomplish it. Following is a sample of a day for how he does it:
9:00 AM- Breakfast - 2 Eggo Waffles, 1/2 cup syrup, 2 cups chocolate Milk = 1140 calories; 10:00 am - 1 can chocolate boost plus = 360 calories; 12:00 - 2 cups spaghetti O's, 2 cups chocolate milk = 700 calories; 2:00 - 1 Nestle Crunch bar, 1 can cholcolate booost plus = 580 calories; 5:00 - 1 cup Romain Lettuce, 1/3 cup tomatoes, 2 tbsps. Dorothy Lynch Dressing, 1 cup Chicken Fettuccine, 12 ounces Pepsi= 590 calories; 7:00 - 1 can chocolate boost plus = 360 calories; 10:00 - Hungry Man Boneless Pork; 2 cups chocolate milk = 1270 calories; Total - 5000 calories.
Eating out helps him bump the calories and usually allows him to skip a couple of boosts if he wants. The key for us was to find a supplement like the boost plus that he likes and the hungry man meals to substitute for the nutreen 2.0 that he would bolus at between 9 and 10 pm if he chooses not to eat the hungry man or something with at least a total of 1000 calories.
What made me get the hungry man meals was because we noticed that when he was in the hospital having a tune-up, he would eat another meal around 10 pm because the cafeteria was open 24/7, he had to stay up for his last treatment at midnight, and he was gaining weight eating that 4th late night meal. Needless to say, I was not about to cook another dinner for him at 10:00 at night, so we started looking into TV dinners that he could microwave himself and found that the hungry mans had outrageous amounts of calories and he loves them. There are a lot of TV dinners on the market that pack well over 500 calories a piece, so again, key would be finding some that he likes. I have a freezer so when they go on sale, I stock up, I also go to Sams Club as they have various frozen sandwhiches and stuff that he likes too that are loaded with calories. It might be worth a try while you are waiting on timing for the tube.

Patty

pjspiegle

Patty

pjspiegle

Patty

pjspiegle

<br />
<br />1. It does not have any effects on his daily activities
<br />
<br />2. His doctor would prefer him to keep it in until he is at least 25 with the hopes that he will just keep it because it is so much easier when a nutrition issue arises. Technically, I believe he could take it out when he turns 21 if he really wants to.
<br />
<br />3. He only complains of feeling overfull if he tries to bolus 3 cans all at once, which we don't do or try to do anymore because it isn't effective to do it that way for him.
<br />
<br />4. I believe that he began gaining weight within the first couple of months, it was so long ago that its hard to remember.
<br />
<br />5. I also don't remember what it did for his PFT's, I am thinking they did go up because he had a 122% baseline at one time. His current is 107%, while we are still hoping to get back to his baseline of 112%, not sure we will make it or not and really can't complain about the 107%. It did take us almost 2 years to get back to the 107% and it seems to only be lasting a couple of weeks as he is going back down again. Reality is that we may have to accept the 98% but we are still not willing to give up, I should say, he isn't ready to give up yet.
<br />
<br />I noticed that he is on Creon, when was the last time the changed his enzymes? I would really push for the Pancreacarb MS 8's or 16's, guessing the same age as Nathan it would be the 16's. The change over to these enzymes made a huge difference for Nathan and for my friends duaghters as well. Dr. Accurso believes they are the best enzyme for CF currently. Changing enzymes also helped with weight gain for Nathan.
<br />
<br />Getting 5000 calories in a day isn't as hard as I thought after I got some practical advice on how to help him accomplish it. Following is a sample of a day for how he does it:
<br />9:00 AM- Breakfast - 2 Eggo Waffles, 1/2 cup syrup, 2 cups chocolate Milk = 1140 calories; 10:00 am - 1 can chocolate boost plus = 360 calories; 12:00 - 2 cups spaghetti O's, 2 cups chocolate milk = 700 calories; 2:00 - 1 Nestle Crunch bar, 1 can cholcolate booost plus = 580 calories; 5:00 - 1 cup Romain Lettuce, 1/3 cup tomatoes, 2 tbsps. Dorothy Lynch Dressing, 1 cup Chicken Fettuccine, 12 ounces Pepsi= 590 calories; 7:00 - 1 can chocolate boost plus = 360 calories; 10:00 - Hungry Man Boneless Pork; 2 cups chocolate milk = 1270 calories; Total - 5000 calories.
<br />Eating out helps him bump the calories and usually allows him to skip a couple of boosts if he wants. The key for us was to find a supplement like the boost plus that he likes and the hungry man meals to substitute for the nutreen 2.0 that he would bolus at between 9 and 10 pm if he chooses not to eat the hungry man or something with at least a total of 1000 calories.
<br />What made me get the hungry man meals was because we noticed that when he was in the hospital having a tune-up, he would eat another meal around 10 pm because the cafeteria was open 24/7, he had to stay up for his last treatment at midnight, and he was gaining weight eating that 4th late night meal. Needless to say, I was not about to cook another dinner for him at 10:00 at night, so we started looking into TV dinners that he could microwave himself and found that the hungry mans had outrageous amounts of calories and he loves them. There are a lot of TV dinners on the market that pack well over 500 calories a piece, so again, key would be finding some that he likes. I have a freezer so when they go on sale, I stock up, I also go to Sams Club as they have various frozen sandwhiches and stuff that he likes too that are loaded with calories. It might be worth a try while you are waiting on timing for the tube.
<br />
<br />Sorry this is so long, I hope it helps,
<br />
<br />Patty
<br />

luvluvluv

The responses have been very helpful and appreciated. I will discuss the issue of possibly switching enzymes, see what they say. My sons base line is 50%, that was 3 years ago, he now hovers around 30-40%. He is about 5' and weighs 74 lbs. at 14 years of age. His o2 stat has been pretty steady at 97.
I noticed how full the feeding schedule is that you have, other therapy is not included, does your child attend school?

luvluvluv

The responses have been very helpful and appreciated. I will discuss the issue of possibly switching enzymes, see what they say. My sons base line is 50%, that was 3 years ago, he now hovers around 30-40%. He is about 5' and weighs 74 lbs. at 14 years of age. His o2 stat has been pretty steady at 97.
I noticed how full the feeding schedule is that you have, other therapy is not included, does your child attend school?

luvluvluv

luvluvluv

luvluvluv

<br />I noticed how full the feeding schedule is that you have, other therapy is not included, does your child attend school?

S

sdelorenzo

My daughter got her feeding tube a year ago. She went from -5% bmi to 60% now. Yes, it did affect her desire to eat during the day, but she has never wanted to eat. That is why she got the feeding tube - she does just doesn't eat much and is happy not to have to eat as much now. I was at first upset that she didn't want to eat until 11am, but I got over it once I saw her with a healthy weight and color to her skin. That is the key to keeping her healthy! She didn't gain weight her first month or six weeks, then she gained 10 pounds in 6 months. Her lung function has also increased from 65% to now 122%. She did have her first tune up this year that I am sure helped increase her lung function. Her daily activities are not affected. She is in swim lessons and will do the swim team starting next month.
Sharon, mom of Sophia, 6 and Jack, 4 both with cf

S

sdelorenzo

My daughter got her feeding tube a year ago. She went from -5% bmi to 60% now. Yes, it did affect her desire to eat during the day, but she has never wanted to eat. That is why she got the feeding tube - she does just doesn't eat much and is happy not to have to eat as much now. I was at first upset that she didn't want to eat until 11am, but I got over it once I saw her with a healthy weight and color to her skin. That is the key to keeping her healthy! She didn't gain weight her first month or six weeks, then she gained 10 pounds in 6 months. Her lung function has also increased from 65% to now 122%. She did have her first tune up this year that I am sure helped increase her lung function. Her daily activities are not affected. She is in swim lessons and will do the swim team starting next month.

S

sdelorenzo

S

sdelorenzo

S

sdelorenzo

<br />Sharon, mom of Sophia, 6 and Jack, 4 both with cf

pjspiegle

Wow, that is low(PFT's). but then I noticed that his 02 stats are good and Nathan struggles with his Os, I guess we sometimes trade one thing for another and why they are all so different in so many ways from one another.

He does not currently go to school but is planning on attending on a modified schedule next year. They will cooperate with his eating schudule at the school. He use to go to school on Fridays but he would come home exhuausted and running a fever so we stopped. Now, however, his weight is up, energy levels up, and he overall feels better than he had before.

Besides his eating schudule, I do have him on a strict thearapy schedule as well. We have to be very on top of things or we would also be in the 50 to 60's with his PFT's. Plus he has Cystic Fibrosis Related Diabetes on top of the CF which also adds added complications and makes the strict eating schedule a necessity to keep his blood sugars within a reasonable level. I have a schedule on the computer that breaks everything down by the hour from 8 am to 10 pm so that I can check myself to make sure we haven't missed anything, to help him be more independent, and to help anyone who is giving me a break. I must admit that Nathan really likes the check off chart because he can look at it to remind himself of what he needs to do and he can do it without being nagged by someone always telling him what to do and when. It allows me to see that he has done everything without always having to ask him. Probably a bit anal on our part but it does help both of us stay on track with all the meds, treatments, and checks.

Sorry, probably more than you wanted to know,

Patty

pjspiegle

Wow, that is low(PFT's). but then I noticed that his 02 stats are good and Nathan struggles with his Os, I guess we sometimes trade one thing for another and why they are all so different in so many ways from one another.

He does not currently go to school but is planning on attending on a modified schedule next year. They will cooperate with his eating schudule at the school. He use to go to school on Fridays but he would come home exhuausted and running a fever so we stopped. Now, however, his weight is up, energy levels up, and he overall feels better than he had before.

Besides his eating schudule, I do have him on a strict thearapy schedule as well. We have to be very on top of things or we would also be in the 50 to 60's with his PFT's. Plus he has Cystic Fibrosis Related Diabetes on top of the CF which also adds added complications and makes the strict eating schedule a necessity to keep his blood sugars within a reasonable level. I have a schedule on the computer that breaks everything down by the hour from 8 am to 10 pm so that I can check myself to make sure we haven't missed anything, to help him be more independent, and to help anyone who is giving me a break. I must admit that Nathan really likes the check off chart because he can look at it to remind himself of what he needs to do and he can do it without being nagged by someone always telling him what to do and when. It allows me to see that he has done everything without always having to ask him. Probably a bit anal on our part but it does help both of us stay on track with all the meds, treatments, and checks.

Patty

pjspiegle

Patty

pjspiegle

Patty

pjspiegle

<br />
<br />He does not currently go to school but is planning on attending on a modified schedule next year. They will cooperate with his eating schudule at the school. He use to go to school on Fridays but he would come home exhuausted and running a fever so we stopped. Now, however, his weight is up, energy levels up, and he overall feels better than he had before.
<br />
<br />Besides his eating schudule, I do have him on a strict thearapy schedule as well. We have to be very on top of things or we would also be in the 50 to 60's with his PFT's. Plus he has Cystic Fibrosis Related Diabetes on top of the CF which also adds added complications and makes the strict eating schedule a necessity to keep his blood sugars within a reasonable level. I have a schedule on the computer that breaks everything down by the hour from 8 am to 10 pm so that I can check myself to make sure we haven't missed anything, to help him be more independent, and to help anyone who is giving me a break. I must admit that Nathan really likes the check off chart because he can look at it to remind himself of what he needs to do and he can do it without being nagged by someone always telling him what to do and when. It allows me to see that he has done everything without always having to ask him. Probably a bit anal on our part but it does help both of us stay on track with all the meds, treatments, and checks.
<br />
<br />Sorry, probably more than you wanted to know,
<br />
<br />Patty