Constant cough with cold

dlo2977

My 3 year old daughter has a bad cold and is coughing constantly. She doesn't currently have any lung symptoms with the CF, only PI. I have doubled her vest treatments and have been doing albuterol nebs once a day, which she only does when she is sick with a cold/cough since she otherwise never coughs. She will cough almost constantly for 2+ hours while falling asleep. Her pulmonologist said she could prescribe saline that we could nebulize before bed if she continues. Her lungs are clear, so it is due to bad post-nasal drip. Any suggestions??

dlo2977

My 3 year old daughter has a bad cold and is coughing constantly. She doesn't currently have any lung symptoms with the CF, only PI. I have doubled her vest treatments and have been doing albuterol nebs once a day, which she only does when she is sick with a cold/cough since she otherwise never coughs. She will cough almost constantly for 2+ hours while falling asleep. Her pulmonologist said she could prescribe saline that we could nebulize before bed if she continues. Her lungs are clear, so it is due to bad post-nasal drip. Any suggestions??

dlo2977

dlo2977

dlo2977

hmw

You could ask about doing the albuteral more often.

Since she is coughing so much due to post-nasal drip I'd also consider trying saline sinus rinses. (Neilmed, Ayr and a few other brands make these and they can be found over the counter at most pharmacies.) They can clear out a lot of congestion that would otherwise run down their throat and contribute to coughing (even when you get out all you can with blowing it's amazing what will come out doing this.) We do this up to 4x/day when Emily has nasal/sinus congestion and it helps a lot.

Even if her lungs sound clear, with coughing this continual she might have an infection requiring antibiotics to clear it up if it goes on too long. I'd keep in close contact w/ her CF dr if this doesn't improve soon.

hmw

Since she is coughing so much due to post-nasal drip I'd also consider trying saline sinus rinses. (Neilmed, Ayr and a few other brands make these and they can be found over the counter at most pharmacies.) They can clear out a lot of congestion that would otherwise run down their throat and contribute to coughing (even when you get out all you can with blowing it's amazing what will come out doing this.) We do this up to 4x/day when Emily has nasal/sinus congestion and it helps a lot.

Even if her lungs sound clear, with coughing this continual she might have an infection requiring antibiotics to clear it up if it goes on too long. I'd keep in close contact w/ her CF dr if this doesn't improve soon.

hmw

hmw

hmw

<br />
<br />Since she is coughing so much due to post-nasal drip I'd also consider trying saline sinus rinses. (Neilmed, Ayr and a few other brands make these and they can be found over the counter at most pharmacies.) They can clear out a lot of congestion that would otherwise run down their throat and contribute to coughing (even when you get out all you can with blowing it's amazing what will come out doing this.) We do this up to 4x/day when Emily has nasal/sinus congestion and it helps a lot.
<br />
<br />Even if her lungs sound clear, with coughing this continual she might have an infection requiring antibiotics to clear it up if it goes on too long. I'd keep in close contact w/ her CF dr if this doesn't improve soon.

tesorotiffa

The only fix I can think of may be to look into having an ENT clean out her sinuses. If her sinuses are infected, the post nasal drip could eventually lead to a lung infection... which sucks!

Also, I know a lot of use sinus nose rinses. I don't know at 3 years old if she'd like them, but they could also help rinse out any nasty stuff that is causing irritation.

tesorotiffa

The only fix I can think of may be to look into having an ENT clean out her sinuses. If her sinuses are infected, the post nasal drip could eventually lead to a lung infection... which sucks!

Also, I know a lot of use sinus nose rinses. I don't know at 3 years old if she'd like them, but they could also help rinse out any nasty stuff that is causing irritation.

tesorotiffa

tesorotiffa

tesorotiffa

<br />
<br />Also, I know a lot of use sinus nose rinses. I don't know at 3 years old if she'd like them, but they could also help rinse out any nasty stuff that is causing irritation.

izemmom

You have perfectly described our sitaution with our daughter, Emily, who just turned 4. Like Tiffa, my first thought was SINUSES, since that't what turned out to be the culprit with her. We've done one sinus clean out, and we now see the ENT almost as often as we see the pulmonologist.
We had some releif after the clean out/surgery, but now we are back in the same old cycle of increased cough due to nasal drainage, go on abx, fo off abx, get increased cough...It never seems to end.

Emily will have a endoscopy of her sinuses and a bronch done on Dec. 16 to try and figure out what's going on.

We do the sinus rinses (Niel-Med bottle) and they DO help. It took a few trys before Emily could do it correctly, but now it doesn't phase her. Her pulmo and ENT were both very impressed with a video we took of her doing it. It definately helps to cut down on the drainage and the number of colds she gets. We just can't seem to lick it compeletly, though.

Good luck to you.

izemmom

You have perfectly described our sitaution with our daughter, Emily, who just turned 4. Like Tiffa, my first thought was SINUSES, since that't what turned out to be the culprit with her. We've done one sinus clean out, and we now see the ENT almost as often as we see the pulmonologist.
We had some releif after the clean out/surgery, but now we are back in the same old cycle of increased cough due to nasal drainage, go on abx, fo off abx, get increased cough...It never seems to end.

Emily will have a endoscopy of her sinuses and a bronch done on Dec. 16 to try and figure out what's going on.

We do the sinus rinses (Niel-Med bottle) and they DO help. It took a few trys before Emily could do it correctly, but now it doesn't phase her. Her pulmo and ENT were both very impressed with a video we took of her doing it. It definately helps to cut down on the drainage and the number of colds she gets. We just can't seem to lick it compeletly, though.

Good luck to you.

izemmom

Good luck to you.

izemmom

Good luck to you.

izemmom

<br />We had some releif after the clean out/surgery, but now we are back in the same old cycle of increased cough due to nasal drainage, go on abx, fo off abx, get increased cough...It never seems to end.
<br />
<br />Emily will have a endoscopy of her sinuses and a bronch done on Dec. 16 to try and figure out what's going on.
<br />
<br />We do the sinus rinses (Niel-Med bottle) and they DO help. It took a few trys before Emily could do it correctly, but now it doesn't phase her. Her pulmo and ENT were both very impressed with a video we took of her doing it. It definately helps to cut down on the drainage and the number of colds she gets. We just can't seem to lick it compeletly, though.
<br />
<br />Good luck to you.