Constipation in 4-year-old

izemmom

We are going through the sam e thing with Emily. Over a 2-3 week period her bowel habbits changed, but we didn't realize it until she had become very constipated.

According to our cf dietician, the problem would not come from too many enzymes. That was my first guess, but she said, no, too many enzymes will actually have the opposite effect. (That does not agree with many things I've read here, however.)

We started on Miralax, just a bit every day and the problem was quickly resolved. We haven't given her any for a few days now, and she's doing fine.

Poor Katy. It's hard to have those tummy troubles. I hope it gets better soon!!!

izemmom

We are going through the sam e thing with Emily. Over a 2-3 week period her bowel habbits changed, but we didn't realize it until she had become very constipated.

According to our cf dietician, the problem would not come from too many enzymes. That was my first guess, but she said, no, too many enzymes will actually have the opposite effect. (That does not agree with many things I've read here, however.)

We started on Miralax, just a bit every day and the problem was quickly resolved. We haven't given her any for a few days now, and she's doing fine.

Poor Katy. It's hard to have those tummy troubles. I hope it gets better soon!!!

izemmom

izemmom

izemmom

amber682

Hi. My son is 3 and also has a lot of constipation issues. At first the docs at clinic had us increase his fiber, both with food containing high fiber, or something like metamucil or citrucal. Not much luck, so they said we could use colace syrup if we needed to (it's non-stimulant). That didn't help much, and he often refused to even take the colace, so we tried milk of magnesia for a couple weeks. Still not much help, so the nutritionist had us decrease his enzymes, as he was on a very high dosage. If that didn't help in 2-3 weeks, we were to make an appt. with the GI doc, just to be sure nothing else is going on.

We are currently waiting for that appt, and using Miralax in the meantime. This has solved the problem completely. A half a capful a day in some juice and he's back to going once or twice a day, with no pain or straining, instead of the painful BM's he was having every 2 or 3 days. (Although a lot of his problem had to do with being afraid and holding it, which actually makes it worse, and we had a pretty vicious cycle going on.)

amber682

Hi. My son is 3 and also has a lot of constipation issues. At first the docs at clinic had us increase his fiber, both with food containing high fiber, or something like metamucil or citrucal. Not much luck, so they said we could use colace syrup if we needed to (it's non-stimulant). That didn't help much, and he often refused to even take the colace, so we tried milk of magnesia for a couple weeks. Still not much help, so the nutritionist had us decrease his enzymes, as he was on a very high dosage. If that didn't help in 2-3 weeks, we were to make an appt. with the GI doc, just to be sure nothing else is going on.

We are currently waiting for that appt, and using Miralax in the meantime. This has solved the problem completely. A half a capful a day in some juice and he's back to going once or twice a day, with no pain or straining, instead of the painful BM's he was having every 2 or 3 days. (Although a lot of his problem had to do with being afraid and holding it, which actually makes it worse, and we had a pretty vicious cycle going on.)

amber682

amber682

amber682

amber682

Oh, I also wanted to add: he has had no explosive BM's while on Miralax! But it did take a good 3 or 4 days to really see the effects. Plus we regularly give him snacks high in fiber, like whole grain crackers, granola bars, apples, and especially popcorn (he loves the salt).

amber682

Oh, I also wanted to add: he has had no explosive BM's while on Miralax! But it did take a good 3 or 4 days to really see the effects. Plus we regularly give him snacks high in fiber, like whole grain crackers, granola bars, apples, and especially popcorn (he loves the salt).

amber682

amber682

amber682

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
One thing DS's doctor mentioned when discussing constipation and ME issues was that the first temptation would be decrease enzymes, but that could cause issues with blockage. And being that DS was born with a bowel obstruction caused by meconium illeus, wasn't something we wanted to mess around with. Oh and the first time DS did have issues which warranted using something, we had no idea -- he'd gone in for a recheck at 4 months and had some xrays and they noticed a LOT of stool in his large intestine. He was still going, though it was fairly loose -- probably just managing to sneak thru the cracks. He was MUCH happier a day or so later when the milk of mag helped move things along. He was eating better, his tummy wasn't so huge/tight.

His doctor also mentioned that some of his older patients will start taking Milk of Mag or miralax when the start to get "that feeling". I suppose years of experience, whereas a toddler isn't going to know what's going on.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
One thing DS's doctor mentioned when discussing constipation and ME issues was that the first temptation would be decrease enzymes, but that could cause issues with blockage. And being that DS was born with a bowel obstruction caused by meconium illeus, wasn't something we wanted to mess around with. Oh and the first time DS did have issues which warranted using something, we had no idea -- he'd gone in for a recheck at 4 months and had some xrays and they noticed a LOT of stool in his large intestine. He was still going, though it was fairly loose -- probably just managing to sneak thru the cracks. He was MUCH happier a day or so later when the milk of mag helped move things along. He was eating better, his tummy wasn't so huge/tight.

His doctor also mentioned that some of his older patients will start taking Milk of Mag or miralax when the start to get "that feeling". I suppose years of experience, whereas a toddler isn't going to know what's going on.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member