COPD, p.a, amd Colistin

johno

Hello everybody,

I have COPD, not CF, but have been told I could post here; and I've gotten help from you folks in the past, and appreciate it.

I've had a p.a. colony since 2003, and after a culture last Sept grew it I was put on TOBI for 28 days, and then switched to Colistin. There was no active infection. However I have now been on Colistin since Oct 10 without a break. During this time, and especially around Xmas inflammation affected my breathing in a major way, and that's why the doc ordered th third month of Colistin, which along with a lot of prednisone seems to be bringing me around.

My question is: is/was the p.a. likely to have been the reason for the increase in inflammation, without other signs of infection like purulent sputum or is it just a roll of the dice? Also, shoudln't (ideally) I be rotating the Colistin on/off a month at a time rather than just staying on it steadily?

Thanks for any comment, and keep up the good work!

johno

Hello everybody,

I have COPD, not CF, but have been told I could post here; and I've gotten help from you folks in the past, and appreciate it.

I've had a p.a. colony since 2003, and after a culture last Sept grew it I was put on TOBI for 28 days, and then switched to Colistin. There was no active infection. However I have now been on Colistin since Oct 10 without a break. During this time, and especially around Xmas inflammation affected my breathing in a major way, and that's why the doc ordered th third month of Colistin, which along with a lot of prednisone seems to be bringing me around.

My question is: is/was the p.a. likely to have been the reason for the increase in inflammation, without other signs of infection like purulent sputum or is it just a roll of the dice? Also, shoudln't (ideally) I be rotating the Colistin on/off a month at a time rather than just staying on it steadily?

johno

Hello everybody,

johno

Hello everybody,

johno

Hello everybody,
<br />
<br />I have COPD, not CF, but have been told I could post here; and I've gotten help from you folks in the past, and appreciate it.
<br />
<br />I've had a p.a. colony since 2003, and after a culture last Sept grew it I was put on TOBI for 28 days, and then switched to Colistin. There was no active infection. However I have now been on Colistin since Oct 10 without a break. During this time, and especially around Xmas inflammation affected my breathing in a major way, and that's why the doc ordered th third month of Colistin, which along with a lot of prednisone seems to be bringing me around.
<br />
<br />My question is: is/was the p.a. likely to have been the reason for the increase in inflammation, without other signs of infection like purulent sputum or is it just a roll of the dice? Also, shoudln't (ideally) I be rotating the Colistin on/off a month at a time rather than just staying on it steadily?
<br />
<br />Thanks for any comment, and keep up the good work!

JazzysMom

We have other people who use a CF regimen, but dont actually have CF. For those people they normally alternate either TObi/Colistin or at least on/off every month with Colistin.

Unless a sputum culture is done to determine the benefit of it.....its hard to say if it was the actual usage or a roll of the dice.

Also given the fact that you were on prednisone makes it even more difficult. Usually PA/infection would cause more congestion, but not necessarily inflammation.

Do you use albuterol or any other bronchial dilators?

JazzysMom

We have other people who use a CF regimen, but dont actually have CF. For those people they normally alternate either TObi/Colistin or at least on/off every month with Colistin.

Unless a sputum culture is done to determine the benefit of it.....its hard to say if it was the actual usage or a roll of the dice.

Also given the fact that you were on prednisone makes it even more difficult. Usually PA/infection would cause more congestion, but not necessarily inflammation.

JazzysMom

JazzysMom

JazzysMom

<br />
<br />Unless a sputum culture is done to determine the benefit of it.....its hard to say if it was the actual usage or a roll of the dice.
<br />
<br />Also given the fact that you were on prednisone makes it even more difficult. Usually PA/infection would cause more congestion, but not necessarily inflammation.
<br />
<br />Do you use albuterol or any other bronchial dilators?

johno

Yes, use othr standard COPD meds: albuterol, Spiriva, theophylline, Advair. I think once I finish up this latest batch of colistin that will be it for a while, along with the prednisione taper. Thanks for the reply.

johno

Yes, use othr standard COPD meds: albuterol, Spiriva, theophylline, Advair. I think once I finish up this latest batch of colistin that will be it for a while, along with the prednisione taper. Thanks for the reply.

johno

johno

johno