Coping with Cepacia

laulau555

I've had cepacia for about 5 years. When my hospital told me that there was an outbreak of a "Deadly" bacteria in its cf patients, I figured it wouldn't happen to me, and when my culture showed it I was almost too young to understand what it meant (I was 13) at least enough to worry about it. However, I am healthier than I have ever been with it. I can still do everything I used to, with the exception of needing a stronger hit of antibiotics when sick, and an increased amount of exacerbations. And the reason is that I am aggresive with airway clearance, etc.

I find that I can no longer skip treatments (not that I should have anyhow) but the cepacia seems to be undercontrol when I am taking care of myself regularly. Exercising is the best way to keep it out of your system, to mobilize whatever mucus you can.

Cepacia is no longer a death sentence as long as you do whatever possible to keep it under control. It is simply a complication, like Lauren said.

I rejoiced over the findings of a new drug which may potentially kill cepacia. <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.rtmagazine.com/news/2009-01-30_01.asp
">http://www.rtmagazine.com/news/2009-01-30_01.asp
</a>
As for the transplant question, if it ever does come to that there are people who have survived transplants with cepacia. I find it easier to live in the present and do your best to stay healthy now.

laulau555

I've had cepacia for about 5 years. When my hospital told me that there was an outbreak of a "Deadly" bacteria in its cf patients, I figured it wouldn't happen to me, and when my culture showed it I was almost too young to understand what it meant (I was 13) at least enough to worry about it. However, I am healthier than I have ever been with it. I can still do everything I used to, with the exception of needing a stronger hit of antibiotics when sick, and an increased amount of exacerbations. And the reason is that I am aggresive with airway clearance, etc.

I find that I can no longer skip treatments (not that I should have anyhow) but the cepacia seems to be undercontrol when I am taking care of myself regularly. Exercising is the best way to keep it out of your system, to mobilize whatever mucus you can.

Cepacia is no longer a death sentence as long as you do whatever possible to keep it under control. It is simply a complication, like Lauren said.

I rejoiced over the findings of a new drug which may potentially kill cepacia. <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.rtmagazine.com/news/2009-01-30_01.asp
</a>
As for the transplant question, if it ever does come to that there are people who have survived transplants with cepacia. I find it easier to live in the present and do your best to stay healthy now.

laulau555

</a>

laulau555

</a>

laulau555

<br />
<br />I find that I can no longer skip treatments (not that I should have anyhow) but the cepacia seems to be undercontrol when I am taking care of myself regularly. Exercising is the best way to keep it out of your system, to mobilize whatever mucus you can.
<br />
<br />Cepacia is no longer a death sentence as long as you do whatever possible to keep it under control. It is simply a complication, like Lauren said.
<br />
<br />I rejoiced over the findings of a new drug which may potentially kill cepacia. <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.rtmagazine.com/news/2009-01-30_01.asp
</a><br />
<br />As for the transplant question, if it ever does come to that there are people who have survived transplants with cepacia. I find it easier to live in the present and do your best to stay healthy now.
<br />
<br />

mander31880

Thanks to everyone for all your help. Luckily, I am exercising like crazy, 5-6 times a week. I was so excited, the other day when I ran 3 miles. I got a cold last week though and have only been able to run 1 mile. I'm in the hospital currently so I will kick some butt and get back to where I need to be. They called the specific strain I have Ceno-cepacia. They said it's more aggressive.

mander31880

Thanks to everyone for all your help. Luckily, I am exercising like crazy, 5-6 times a week. I was so excited, the other day when I ran 3 miles. I got a cold last week though and have only been able to run 1 mile. I'm in the hospital currently so I will kick some butt and get back to where I need to be. They called the specific strain I have Ceno-cepacia. They said it's more aggressive.

mander31880

mander31880

mander31880

toria

I am terrified of getting cepacia. My brother had it and I watched him get sicker and sicker, so I can understand your fear. I did read on the Boomer Eaison website about new therapy using oils to combat these drug resistant bacteria. Hopefully they will find something that treats it and soon.

toria

I am terrified of getting cepacia. My brother had it and I watched him get sicker and sicker, so I can understand your fear. I did read on the Boomer Eaison website about new therapy using oils to combat these drug resistant bacteria. Hopefully they will find something that treats it and soon.

toria

toria

toria

TwistedTanya

I have a friend who has cepacia and he is 11 years post transplant! He got his TX at Duke in NC. He is doing great and has even adopted 2 kids. So there is hope!

TwistedTanya

I have a friend who has cepacia and he is 11 years post transplant! He got his TX at Duke in NC. He is doing great and has even adopted 2 kids. So there is hope!

TwistedTanya

TwistedTanya

TwistedTanya