Coping with CF & your job

Evelyn73

Has any parents run into problems with your employer regarding your CF or your child's?
A year ago my employer let a co-worker work part time from home after she had her baby and her maternity was exhausted. There was 2 week waiting period before she could get daycare for her baby. Simply an inconvenience issue; not medical.
My daughter is going into the hospital next week and then have 3 weeks of IV treatments at home. I approached my employer about working 3 hours in the afternoon at home during her IV treatments. I first approached him 2 weeks ago and he seemed fine with the idea. When I emailed him today to verify, he came to my office and denied my request. He said it was going to cause too many problems in the office with the other employees. Plus it didn't work out with the other employee when she did it...which was a lie!! Later I asked him to reply to my email with his reason of denial and he refused to.
I don't know what to do. Given this economic time, I'm grateful to have a job. But I feel discriminated. I spoke to the EEOC and they think I have a discrimination case. But I live in NC and the labor laws protect the employer...not the employee.
Any insight, anyone?

Evelyn73

Has any parents run into problems with your employer regarding your CF or your child's?
A year ago my employer let a co-worker work part time from home after she had her baby and her maternity was exhausted. There was 2 week waiting period before she could get daycare for her baby. Simply an inconvenience issue; not medical.
My daughter is going into the hospital next week and then have 3 weeks of IV treatments at home. I approached my employer about working 3 hours in the afternoon at home during her IV treatments. I first approached him 2 weeks ago and he seemed fine with the idea. When I emailed him today to verify, he came to my office and denied my request. He said it was going to cause too many problems in the office with the other employees. Plus it didn't work out with the other employee when she did it...which was a lie!! Later I asked him to reply to my email with his reason of denial and he refused to.
I don't know what to do. Given this economic time, I'm grateful to have a job. But I feel discriminated. I spoke to the EEOC and they think I have a discrimination case. But I live in NC and the labor laws protect the employer...not the employee.
Any insight, anyone?

Evelyn73

Any insight, anyone?

Evelyn73

Any insight, anyone?

Evelyn73

<br />A year ago my employer let a co-worker work part time from home after she had her baby and her maternity was exhausted. There was 2 week waiting period before she could get daycare for her baby. Simply an inconvenience issue; not medical.
<br />My daughter is going into the hospital next week and then have 3 weeks of IV treatments at home. I approached my employer about working 3 hours in the afternoon at home during her IV treatments. I first approached him 2 weeks ago and he seemed fine with the idea. When I emailed him today to verify, he came to my office and denied my request. He said it was going to cause too many problems in the office with the other employees. Plus it didn't work out with the other employee when she did it...which was a lie!! Later I asked him to reply to my email with his reason of denial and he refused to.
<br />I don't know what to do. Given this economic time, I'm grateful to have a job. But I feel discriminated. I spoke to the EEOC and they think I have a discrimination case. But I live in NC and the labor laws protect the employer...not the employee.
<br />Any insight, anyone?

Rebjane

Super Moderator
I do not know the answer to your question but there is a lawyer named Beth Sufian who has CF and advocates for CF issues. CHeck with the CFF for her number; she may be able to give you legal advice. Good luck!

Rebjane

Super Moderator
I do not know the answer to your question but there is a lawyer named Beth Sufian who has CF and advocates for CF issues. CHeck with the CFF for her number; she may be able to give you legal advice. Good luck!

Rebjane

Super Moderator

Rebjane

Super Moderator

Rebjane

Super Moderator

letefk

Evelyn,

So far, I have been lucky, but I sure can relate to your concerns. My job (professor) gives me some autonomy and some flexibility, as thus far, hospitalizations (two daughters with CF) have hit mostly during times when I could safely 'disappear' without having to make special requests for leave. But I definitely feel pressure to conceal the extent of the ways CF impacts HOW I get my work done, even though everyone I work with knows I do my job well. My husband, on the other hand, has no flexibility, and he has a real and reasonable fear that if he is too open about our situation, then it will impact his career and even make him more vulnerable to the next round of layoffs at his company.

It seems to me that discrimination against parents dealing with chronic illness is very real. I wish I had something in the way of advice, but all I can offer is sympathy.

letefk

Evelyn,

So far, I have been lucky, but I sure can relate to your concerns. My job (professor) gives me some autonomy and some flexibility, as thus far, hospitalizations (two daughters with CF) have hit mostly during times when I could safely 'disappear' without having to make special requests for leave. But I definitely feel pressure to conceal the extent of the ways CF impacts HOW I get my work done, even though everyone I work with knows I do my job well. My husband, on the other hand, has no flexibility, and he has a real and reasonable fear that if he is too open about our situation, then it will impact his career and even make him more vulnerable to the next round of layoffs at his company.

It seems to me that discrimination against parents dealing with chronic illness is very real. I wish I had something in the way of advice, but all I can offer is sympathy.

letefk

Evelyn,

letefk

Evelyn,

letefk

Evelyn,
<br />
<br />So far, I have been lucky, but I sure can relate to your concerns. My job (professor) gives me some autonomy and some flexibility, as thus far, hospitalizations (two daughters with CF) have hit mostly during times when I could safely 'disappear' without having to make special requests for leave. But I definitely feel pressure to conceal the extent of the ways CF impacts HOW I get my work done, even though everyone I work with knows I do my job well. My husband, on the other hand, has no flexibility, and he has a real and reasonable fear that if he is too open about our situation, then it will impact his career and even make him more vulnerable to the next round of layoffs at his company.
<br />
<br />It seems to me that discrimination against parents dealing with chronic illness is very real. I wish I had something in the way of advice, but all I can offer is sympathy.

Keith

Evelyn,
I live in NC also. With the current economic conditions, I see so many companies looking for any excuse to reduce headcount, demote people to lower paying positions, and so on. They just don't care about their people. But there are a few companies around that still have a heart. Hopefully you work for one. You might contact your HR department and find out what the company policies are regarding family health care issues. Managers aren't always aware of company policies in such matters.

Keith

Evelyn,
I live in NC also. With the current economic conditions, I see so many companies looking for any excuse to reduce headcount, demote people to lower paying positions, and so on. They just don't care about their people. But there are a few companies around that still have a heart. Hopefully you work for one. You might contact your HR department and find out what the company policies are regarding family health care issues. Managers aren't always aware of company policies in such matters.

Keith

Evelyn,

Keith

Evelyn,

Keith

Evelyn,
<br />I live in NC also. With the current economic conditions, I see so many companies looking for any excuse to reduce headcount, demote people to lower paying positions, and so on. They just don't care about their people. But there are a few companies around that still have a heart. Hopefully you work for one. You might contact your HR department and find out what the company policies are regarding family health care issues. Managers aren't always aware of company policies in such matters.