Coughing Fits

M

moxie1

Ok....this is weird, but it really works for me.

I normally don't have coughing spells, but I do choke on my food alot and have a coughing spell from it going down wrong.

I immediately raise both arms straight up over my head and hold them there until the coughing is under control. Usually only takes a few seconds. I read this in some home remedy book and my husband and I use it frequently. Whenever he's choking on something, I say, "Put your arms up!"

Hope it works for you too.

M

moxie1

I normally don't have coughing spells, but I do choke on my food alot and have a coughing spell from it going down wrong.

I immediately raise both arms straight up over my head and hold them there until the coughing is under control. Usually only takes a few seconds. I read this in some home remedy book and my husband and I use it frequently. Whenever he's choking on something, I say, "Put your arms up!"

M

moxie1

M

moxie1

M

moxie1

JazzysMom

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>moxie1</b></i>

Hope it works for you too.</end quote></div>

I have been told this, but I cant keep them up during the cough **sighs**. I use my breathing techniques & cool water to sip. Not just anything to drink, cool/cold water, but the breathing more so. I learned that from my therapists during CPT.

JazzysMom

I have been told this, but I cant keep them up during the cough **sighs**. I use my breathing techniques & cool water to sip. Not just anything to drink, cool/cold water, but the breathing more so. I learned that from my therapists during CPT.

JazzysMom

JazzysMom

Hope it works for you too.</end quote>

JazzysMom

Hope it works for you too.</end quote>

coltsfan715

A few thoughts.

I know before I had my Tx when I was having the horrible coughing spells - the ones that never seem to stop - I would try to kind of pant breathe at first then I would gradually slow my breathing down. I woud kind of purse my lips to help relax too.

For me my coughing spells continued not so much because I needed to cough but once I got started it was so easy to keep going and my muscles would just kind of spasm and keep going. Slowing down my breathing and relaing my muscles really helped. I would start with short breathes in and trying to blow out what air I could. I would start with exhalations of 1-2 seconds and count up from there until I was at a point where the urge to cough was gone.

As for the being sick. It is hard to say what to do. If you feel that crappy then ask for something, but at the same time what you have may just be viral. I know pretty much everyone I know has had a viral bug over the past month. It tends to stick around in the "average healthy" person for about 2 weeks or sometimes longer. It starts out like typical flu stuff - achiness and stuffy nose then turns to a gross cough and overall crappy feelings. At least that is how it has started for the people I know that have had it. With that it didn't matter what meds they took nothing helped it just had to run its course. As my mom said - you can only treat the symptoms not the virus.

That being said - I know for me ANY time I had a viral infection pre transplant it turned into a bacterial infection in my lungs. So for that reason I would maybe ask for something to take. Heck now post transplant I asked the doc for something to take as a preventive to getting that crud - they gave me Tamiflu and Cipro. So maybe they can give you something along those lines - something to prevent the bacterial thing and something to help get you over it quicker if it is a viral thing.

I hate that you are feeling crappy, and I hope that the docs can do something to help you feel better sooner rather than later.

Love Linds

coltsfan715

A few thoughts.

I know before I had my Tx when I was having the horrible coughing spells - the ones that never seem to stop - I would try to kind of pant breathe at first then I would gradually slow my breathing down. I woud kind of purse my lips to help relax too.

For me my coughing spells continued not so much because I needed to cough but once I got started it was so easy to keep going and my muscles would just kind of spasm and keep going. Slowing down my breathing and relaing my muscles really helped. I would start with short breathes in and trying to blow out what air I could. I would start with exhalations of 1-2 seconds and count up from there until I was at a point where the urge to cough was gone.

As for the being sick. It is hard to say what to do. If you feel that crappy then ask for something, but at the same time what you have may just be viral. I know pretty much everyone I know has had a viral bug over the past month. It tends to stick around in the "average healthy" person for about 2 weeks or sometimes longer. It starts out like typical flu stuff - achiness and stuffy nose then turns to a gross cough and overall crappy feelings. At least that is how it has started for the people I know that have had it. With that it didn't matter what meds they took nothing helped it just had to run its course. As my mom said - you can only treat the symptoms not the virus.

That being said - I know for me ANY time I had a viral infection pre transplant it turned into a bacterial infection in my lungs. So for that reason I would maybe ask for something to take. Heck now post transplant I asked the doc for something to take as a preventive to getting that crud - they gave me Tamiflu and Cipro. So maybe they can give you something along those lines - something to prevent the bacterial thing and something to help get you over it quicker if it is a viral thing.

I hate that you are feeling crappy, and I hope that the docs can do something to help you feel better sooner rather than later.

Love Linds

coltsfan715

A few thoughts.

Love Linds

coltsfan715

A few thoughts.

Love Linds

coltsfan715

A few thoughts.

Love Linds

jfarel

Thanks! I'm trying to get a doctor's appointment tomorrow. Its my reduced lung function that I'm so worried about. I've been really SOB.

jfarel

Thanks! I'm trying to get a doctor's appointment tomorrow. Its my reduced lung function that I'm so worried about. I've been really SOB.

jfarel

jfarel

jfarel