Coughing in Public!

karenanne99

Hey everyone!

I just was wondering how everyone else deals with coughing in public. I absolutely hate it, I try to "hold it in" especailly when I am in class. I don't like coughing around other people because it sounds TeRRibLe! I can tell people are grossed out because they hear how "loose" my cough is and its so loud and when I start I cannot stop sometimes.

Holding it in works for a bit but then I start to gasp for breath.

I know coughing is just a part of Cf (duh) but I just cannot stand it! And if one more person asks me if I smoke when I cough I may just lose it lol!!

Thanks............karen........

PS: I'm not a crank lol the "lose it" thing probably made me sound like one!!

karenanne99

Hey everyone!

I just was wondering how everyone else deals with coughing in public. I absolutely hate it, I try to "hold it in" especailly when I am in class. I don't like coughing around other people because it sounds TeRRibLe! I can tell people are grossed out because they hear how "loose" my cough is and its so loud and when I start I cannot stop sometimes.

I know coughing is just a part of Cf (duh) but I just cannot stand it! And if one more person asks me if I smoke when I cough I may just lose it lol!!

karenanne99

Hey everyone!

mum2kj

my daughter hates that too, I 'm not sure how she copes at school with the coughing, I know that some ppl are starting to wonder why her cough is still hanging around. (she gets the have you got smokers cough thing too) Plus the ("you better go see a doc about that cough) I think she tries to do the hold your breath thing or the clear your throat sound to try and stop it.

When we go out walking or to the shops (public places) i carry a bottle of water in my bag and she drinks this when she feels a cough coming on. this helps calm it down a bit.

I have a question for everyone, how do you cope with the need to spit sputum when you are out and about?

There is a limit to how many tissues you can carry lol.

mum2kj

my daughter hates that too, I 'm not sure how she copes at school with the coughing, I know that some ppl are starting to wonder why her cough is still hanging around. (she gets the have you got smokers cough thing too) Plus the ("you better go see a doc about that cough) I think she tries to do the hold your breath thing or the clear your throat sound to try and stop it.

When we go out walking or to the shops (public places) i carry a bottle of water in my bag and she drinks this when she feels a cough coming on. this helps calm it down a bit.

I have a question for everyone, how do you cope with the need to spit sputum when you are out and about?

mum2kj

karenanne99

hey!
haha i was going to mention the "spit or swallow" thing in my original post but thought it would sound too gross. I know that when we cough up gunk we should spit it out but I don't think this is reasonable to do in public all the time. Like sometimes we have no other option but even though it is a normal thing for cfers to deal with other people aren't used to it and we shouldn't make others uncomfortable for spiting out that stuff infront of them. My mom was always a slickler for manners and I think that spiting it out in public isn't very good manners...unless you are smoother than me lol and can do it discreetly! So i usually do extra physio so I am getting a lot of it up and out when I am home!

Karen

karenanne99

hey!
haha i was going to mention the "spit or swallow" thing in my original post but thought it would sound too gross. I know that when we cough up gunk we should spit it out but I don't think this is reasonable to do in public all the time. Like sometimes we have no other option but even though it is a normal thing for cfers to deal with other people aren't used to it and we shouldn't make others uncomfortable for spiting out that stuff infront of them. My mom was always a slickler for manners and I think that spiting it out in public isn't very good manners...unless you are smoother than me lol and can do it discreetly! So i usually do extra physio so I am getting a lot of it up and out when I am home!

Karen

karenanne99

hey!

Karen

lauren

Hey

I totally understand how u feel. It can be embarrasing. When I was younger my parents would tell the teachers about CF at the beginning of each year and I could then drink water in class to help with the coughing or could leave to go to the bathroom when I needed to. Now in varsity I have had some bad coughing days, so I just drink lotsa water in class or leave for the bathroom when it gets really bad. I find the pressure of not wanting to cough, makes me want to cough even more!

Lauren
19 w, cf

lauren

Hey

I totally understand how u feel. It can be embarrasing. When I was younger my parents would tell the teachers about CF at the beginning of each year and I could then drink water in class to help with the coughing or could leave to go to the bathroom when I needed to. Now in varsity I have had some bad coughing days, so I just drink lotsa water in class or leave for the bathroom when it gets really bad. I find the pressure of not wanting to cough, makes me want to cough even more!

Lauren
19 w, cf

lauren

Hey

Lauren
19 w, cf

blindhearted

I also carry around a bottle of water. I carry the half pints by Deer Park, they are smaller and easier to hide in purses or coat pockets. I usually use a can insulator to keep around it and keep it cold. Peppermints help too (I was having a coughing spell and this really nice man gave me one and said it would help, I felt soooo embarrassed, but it did the trick!). Gum sometimes help too.

mum2: I carry around small travel packs of tissues. I have a pack or two in my purse or pockets, extras in the backseat of my (my husband's and mom's) car. In case I run out, I will have extra without carrying them all around.

blindhearted

I also carry around a bottle of water. I carry the half pints by Deer Park, they are smaller and easier to hide in purses or coat pockets. I usually use a can insulator to keep around it and keep it cold. Peppermints help too (I was having a coughing spell and this really nice man gave me one and said it would help, I felt soooo embarrassed, but it did the trick!). Gum sometimes help too.

mum2: I carry around small travel packs of tissues. I have a pack or two in my purse or pockets, extras in the backseat of my (my husband's and mom's) car. In case I run out, I will have extra without carrying them all around.

blindhearted

it used to be embarrasing for me to cough in public. but now if i need to cough i just do it, even if i have to cough alot and loud. if people don't like it thats not my problem. of course i don't like to, but i will if i have to.

it used to be embarrasing for me to cough in public. but now if i need to cough i just do it, even if i have to cough alot and loud. if people don't like it thats not my problem. of course i don't like to, but i will if i have to.

JazzysMom

Unless I am someone where silence is important (like a movie etc) I dont care. I try not to stifle my cough too much. As far as spitting it out. It can be done easily enough with a tissue. Its not different (IMHO) then blowing your nose in public. Do it descretely. Would you rather have someone let the boogers hang out or blow their nose? Would you rather have someone keep choking from holding a cough or get it up & out which would probably stop it for a bit.

JazzysMom

Unless I am someone where silence is important (like a movie etc) I dont care. I try not to stifle my cough too much. As far as spitting it out. It can be done easily enough with a tissue. Its not different (IMHO) then blowing your nose in public. Do it descretely. Would you rather have someone let the boogers hang out or blow their nose? Would you rather have someone keep choking from holding a cough or get it up & out which would probably stop it for a bit.