Coughing in Public!

JazzysMom

Unless I am someone where silence is important (like a movie etc) I dont care. I try not to stifle my cough too much. As far as spitting it out. It can be done easily enough with a tissue. Its not different (IMHO) then blowing your nose in public. Do it descretely. Would you rather have someone let the boogers hang out or blow their nose? Would you rather have someone keep choking from holding a cough or get it up & out which would probably stop it for a bit.

LouLou

I don't care. I cough everywhere.

If I have a loose cough that is producing I would take it as a sign you need to do some lung clearance. Do you have an acapella or a flutter? You could go to the bathroom and spend 5 min's getting up a bunch of mucus and then likely not cough much at all for the next hour.

I hate to be a downer but when some of us talk about wishing we had taken care of ourselves better when we were younger - in order to preserve lung capacity - it is taking measures like this. Most of us did our treatments and cpt - but adding extra clearance during school was just not something we even pondered.

Use the portable, pocket sized devices you have at your disposal today. It will save your lungs!

LouLou

If I have a loose cough that is producing I would take it as a sign you need to do some lung clearance. Do you have an acapella or a flutter? You could go to the bathroom and spend 5 min's getting up a bunch of mucus and then likely not cough much at all for the next hour.

I hate to be a downer but when some of us talk about wishing we had taken care of ourselves better when we were younger - in order to preserve lung capacity - it is taking measures like this. Most of us did our treatments and cpt - but adding extra clearance during school was just not something we even pondered.

Use the portable, pocket sized devices you have at your disposal today. It will save your lungs!

LouLou

thelizardqueen

I used to feel uncomfortable coughing in school when I had an especially bad cough from an infection, but now I don't care who hears me cough. If someone comments on how sick I sound, or are disgusted by it, or think its contagious, I simply turn to them and tell them that I have a lung disease and can't help it. I really don't care who hears me now. Better to cough it out, then to let it sit in your lungs and get worse.

thelizardqueen

I used to feel uncomfortable coughing in school when I had an especially bad cough from an infection, but now I don't care who hears me cough. If someone comments on how sick I sound, or are disgusted by it, or think its contagious, I simply turn to them and tell them that I have a lung disease and can't help it. I really don't care who hears me now. Better to cough it out, then to let it sit in your lungs and get worse.

thelizardqueen

sue35

I am very self conscious of coughing. I just want to hide when I do it so no one looks at me. The worst is the uncomfortable silences that happen when I am with my bf's friends. Most of them know about CF but whenever I do big coughing sessions they look so uncomfortable. It is like I am a freak!

In school I wasn't that self conscious until I overheard a kid telling his friend that he couldn't concentrate on the test because of that, "annoying girl who kept coughing".

Sometimes I pretend that i swallowed wrong, especially if i am in front of my students. Other times I just blame it on being sick from a cold.

sue35

I am very self conscious of coughing. I just want to hide when I do it so no one looks at me. The worst is the uncomfortable silences that happen when I am with my bf's friends. Most of them know about CF but whenever I do big coughing sessions they look so uncomfortable. It is like I am a freak!

In school I wasn't that self conscious until I overheard a kid telling his friend that he couldn't concentrate on the test because of that, "annoying girl who kept coughing".

Sometimes I pretend that i swallowed wrong, especially if i am in front of my students. Other times I just blame it on being sick from a cold.

sue35

Diane

I was just telling ym mom last night about an experience i had twice in a store. I was in the self checkout line waiting for my turn and there was a man in front of me. I coughed a simple cough, not a loud long lingering cough like i sometimes do and the guy in front of me, got startled and quickly turned around to look at me like he had never heard someone cough before. Now if i had a coughing fit or a real loud horrible cough i can understand this reaction, but it was a normal cough everyone does. I carry cough drops with me in case of itching in my throat that causes a non-stop cough and i also always have a drink with me. In church i stand in the back in case i have to cough a lot, so i can leave without making a big production out of it. If i am in my car and have no empty cup in there ( i almost always do have a cup on hand) i will just roll down the window and spit it out. Disgusting i know, but its gotta go. If i am in a friends car i also will spit it out the window unless i am on a date or with a guy i am attracted to, then i have no choice but to disgustingly swallow it .

Diane

I was just telling ym mom last night about an experience i had twice in a store. I was in the self checkout line waiting for my turn and there was a man in front of me. I coughed a simple cough, not a loud long lingering cough like i sometimes do and the guy in front of me, got startled and quickly turned around to look at me like he had never heard someone cough before. Now if i had a coughing fit or a real loud horrible cough i can understand this reaction, but it was a normal cough everyone does. I carry cough drops with me in case of itching in my throat that causes a non-stop cough and i also always have a drink with me. In church i stand in the back in case i have to cough a lot, so i can leave without making a big production out of it. If i am in my car and have no empty cup in there ( i almost always do have a cup on hand) i will just roll down the window and spit it out. Disgusting i know, but its gotta go. If i am in a friends car i also will spit it out the window unless i am on a date or with a guy i am attracted to, then i have no choice but to disgustingly swallow it .

Diane

M

marcijo

Yes-I hate coughing in public. Everyone looks at me like I have some horrible contagious sickness. Sometimes I want to wear a big sign that says "I HAVE CYSTIC FIBROSIS, I AM NOT CONTAGIOUS"!!

Last year I was on a plane, I coughed, and the guy sitting next to me said to his wife "That is the kind of cough I don't want to hear on an airplane". I didn't say anything, but I found out later that he was a doctor at Childrens Hospital in Seattle. What a jerk! He could at least try to say that a little quieter to his wife-and the fact that he was a doctor at Childrens-they have a big CF center there! Idiot!

Anyways....I just figure there is nothing I can do about my coughing...I do sometimes carry mints or cough drops with me-and water helps too.

M

marcijo

Yes-I hate coughing in public. Everyone looks at me like I have some horrible contagious sickness. Sometimes I want to wear a big sign that says "I HAVE CYSTIC FIBROSIS, I AM NOT CONTAGIOUS"!!

Last year I was on a plane, I coughed, and the guy sitting next to me said to his wife "That is the kind of cough I don't want to hear on an airplane". I didn't say anything, but I found out later that he was a doctor at Childrens Hospital in Seattle. What a jerk! He could at least try to say that a little quieter to his wife-and the fact that he was a doctor at Childrens-they have a big CF center there! Idiot!

Anyways....I just figure there is nothing I can do about my coughing...I do sometimes carry mints or cough drops with me-and water helps too.

M

marcijo

Chaggie

The only time I was embarrased from coughing in public was a t a friends opera recital for her school finals. I went into a coughing fit that just wouldn't stop, every time I thought I had it under control it start again. I felt like ass for coughing over her performance.

Chaggie

The only time I was embarrased from coughing in public was a t a friends opera recital for her school finals. I went into a coughing fit that just wouldn't stop, every time I thought I had it under control it start again. I felt like ass for coughing over her performance.

Chaggie

S

Shoshanna

This is so common! You aren't alone!
I'm not in school anymore, but when I was it was always a battle to stifle my cough. I'd hold it in, but that would make it worse. I use to go to the bathroom right before class and have a coughing fit to try and get everything out. Sometimes I'd have to do that in the middle of class, too. Bringing a drink helps, but the truth is that the type of coughs we have aren't easily suppressed.

I remember being in class and literally digging my nails into my hand because I was concentrating so hard on not coughing. The hard part was that I had stopped listening to what was being taught because I was so focused on my cough.

There's no easy answer here. If it gets really bad you can take cough medicine, though I know that's not recommended. I use to do it on dates when I'd go to the movies so I wouldn't cough.

It just sucks. That's all.