Coughing up blood

mbonnette

Hi, This is my first visit to the CysticFibrosis.Com forum. I'm a mother of a 20 year old daughter with CF. My daughter had her first episode, as well as my first, with coughing up blood this past weekend. It scared her and me. She is sick and needs to be hospitalized but she wants to wait a week to go in so she can cover someone's vacation @ work. She thinks she is immortal. Does this happen because the disease is progressing or is it "normal"??? There is no handbook for us parents who do not know what to expect...or is there?? I don't know, I think maybe I'm rambling here. I'm just looking for some help in how to handle a young, 20 year old, fantastic person with a terrible disease. I guess I need some sanity. Am I wrong for pushing her to do her breathing treatments and take her meds or should I leave her alone as it is her life??? I'm scared.
Thanks,
Marie

mbonnette

Hi, This is my first visit to the CysticFibrosis.Com forum. I'm a mother of a 20 year old daughter with CF. My daughter had her first episode, as well as my first, with coughing up blood this past weekend. It scared her and me. She is sick and needs to be hospitalized but she wants to wait a week to go in so she can cover someone's vacation @ work. She thinks she is immortal. Does this happen because the disease is progressing or is it "normal"??? There is no handbook for us parents who do not know what to expect...or is there?? I don't know, I think maybe I'm rambling here. I'm just looking for some help in how to handle a young, 20 year old, fantastic person with a terrible disease. I guess I need some sanity. Am I wrong for pushing her to do her breathing treatments and take her meds or should I leave her alone as it is her life??? I'm scared.
Thanks,
Marie

mbonnette

Thanks,
Marie

mbonnette

Thanks,
Marie

mbonnette

<br />Thanks,
<br />Marie

jmiller

Hi Marie,

Hemoptysis is one of those "CF things" that happens to alot of us. I am 26 years old and had my first episode about 8 years ago. I have good lung funciton (it was over 100% then and in the 90s now) - I think that hemoptysis is not necessarily a big red flag as far as progression goes- it is just a little bump in the road. For me, my hemoptysis is likely due more to inflammation and irritation that infection. I can be infection-free but still have a bleed. Oftentimes it is correlated with my period and those stinking hormones. Since this is her first time, I would say definitely talk to your doctor. However, most hemoptysis is not life-threatening, and usually a "little" blood looks like a lot more than it is. My doctor is not terribly concerned if I cough up a couple tablespoons. Hoewver, if it is more than that I will let them know.

Bless your heart- this is one of those difficult things to deal with and all I can say is I know where you are and I will be praying for you and your daughter!

Jackie

jmiller

Hi Marie,

Hemoptysis is one of those "CF things" that happens to alot of us. I am 26 years old and had my first episode about 8 years ago. I have good lung funciton (it was over 100% then and in the 90s now) - I think that hemoptysis is not necessarily a big red flag as far as progression goes- it is just a little bump in the road. For me, my hemoptysis is likely due more to inflammation and irritation that infection. I can be infection-free but still have a bleed. Oftentimes it is correlated with my period and those stinking hormones. Since this is her first time, I would say definitely talk to your doctor. However, most hemoptysis is not life-threatening, and usually a "little" blood looks like a lot more than it is. My doctor is not terribly concerned if I cough up a couple tablespoons. Hoewver, if it is more than that I will let them know.

Bless your heart- this is one of those difficult things to deal with and all I can say is I know where you are and I will be praying for you and your daughter!

Jackie

jmiller

Hi Marie,

Jackie

jmiller

Hi Marie,

Jackie

jmiller

Hi Marie,
<br />
<br />Hemoptysis is one of those "CF things" that happens to alot of us. I am 26 years old and had my first episode about 8 years ago. I have good lung funciton (it was over 100% then and in the 90s now) - I think that hemoptysis is not necessarily a big red flag as far as progression goes- it is just a little bump in the road. For me, my hemoptysis is likely due more to inflammation and irritation that infection. I can be infection-free but still have a bleed. Oftentimes it is correlated with my period and those stinking hormones. Since this is her first time, I would say definitely talk to your doctor. However, most hemoptysis is not life-threatening, and usually a "little" blood looks like a lot more than it is. My doctor is not terribly concerned if I cough up a couple tablespoons. Hoewver, if it is more than that I will let them know.
<br />
<br />Bless your heart- this is one of those difficult things to deal with and all I can say is I know where you are and I will be praying for you and your daughter!
<br />
<br />Jackie

mbonnette

She called her CF doctor when it happened. He said if it persists she should consider being admitted sooner. She is going in for a "clean out" this weekend.
Thanks!

mbonnette

She called her CF doctor when it happened. He said if it persists she should consider being admitted sooner. She is going in for a "clean out" this weekend.
Thanks!

mbonnette

Thanks!

mbonnette

Thanks!

mbonnette

<br />Thanks!