COURTNEY IS WHEEZING

Seana30

Courtney has been on antibiotics and Prednisone for two days now.

Last night she stopped coughing but when she woke up this morning it started back up. A little bit ago she came up to me and said "mom, shouldn't I be feeling better by now?"

I asked her if she was feeling bad and she said "yes, it feels weird when I breathe". I put my hand on her chest and asked her to take a deep breathe. I could feel "rattling" when she breathed in. She had just used her nebulized xopenex about 15 minutes prior to our conversation.

How long does it take for antibiotics to "kick in" when you take them? I thought it only took about 24 hours.

This is making me nervous. Two days ago she was not wheezing, just coughing.

Should I be worried??? Her chest x-ray and PFTs were good.

Seana

Seana30

Last night she stopped coughing but when she woke up this morning it started back up. A little bit ago she came up to me and said "mom, shouldn't I be feeling better by now?"

I asked her if she was feeling bad and she said "yes, it feels weird when I breathe". I put my hand on her chest and asked her to take a deep breathe. I could feel "rattling" when she breathed in. She had just used her nebulized xopenex about 15 minutes prior to our conversation.

How long does it take for antibiotics to "kick in" when you take them? I thought it only took about 24 hours.

Seana

Seana30

Seana

Seana30

Seana

Seana30

Seana

Athena

I'm sorry to hear that Courtney is not feeling well. I think it can take up to 3 days to a week sometimes. I know there have been times where it has taken me about a week. I think it also depends wether antibiotics or oral or IV. I know it takes longer for oral ones to work rather than IV. You might want to give her Dr a call.
Hope she gets to feeling better soon.

Athena

Athena

I'm sorry to hear that Courtney is not feeling well. I think it can take up to 3 days to a week sometimes. I know there have been times where it has taken me about a week. I think it also depends wether antibiotics or oral or IV. I know it takes longer for oral ones to work rather than IV. You might want to give her Dr a call.

Athena

Athena

Athena

Athena

Athena

Athena

Athena

lightNlife

Antibiotics kill the bug, but it can take longer than 24 hours before the effects of the infection subside. In some cases wheezing is a good thing. It means that the mucus that was previously so thick that air couldn't move through the lungs is now thinning out. The wheezing sound is the result of air movement in the lungs, moving through sticky strands of mucus.

Encourage her to do her best with the CPT, and be sure she's doing all she can to cough that stuff up and out. Also, make sure the entire dose of antibiotics is taken, even if she starts to feel better by day 5 of a 3 week treatment.

Expecting to feel better within 24 hours of starting abx is not rational. In many cases a person may actually feel worse after starting abx, because the offending "bugs" still have to be removed from the system. Also, it's important to drink plenty of water not only to help flush out the infection, but to keep the body well hydrated and prevent the potent abx from causing kidney problems.

lightNlife

Antibiotics kill the bug, but it can take longer than 24 hours before the effects of the infection subside. In some cases wheezing is a good thing. It means that the mucus that was previously so thick that air couldn't move through the lungs is now thinning out. The wheezing sound is the result of air movement in the lungs, moving through sticky strands of mucus.

Encourage her to do her best with the CPT, and be sure she's doing all she can to cough that stuff up and out. Also, make sure the entire dose of antibiotics is taken, even if she starts to feel better by day 5 of a 3 week treatment.

Expecting to feel better within 24 hours of starting abx is not rational. In many cases a person may actually feel worse after starting abx, because the offending "bugs" still have to be removed from the system. Also, it's important to drink plenty of water not only to help flush out the infection, but to keep the body well hydrated and prevent the potent abx from causing kidney problems.

lightNlife

lightNlife

lightNlife

HairGirl

I'm with lightNlife, 99% of the time I feel worse after starting antibiotics and then in a couple days I start to feel better, and the more coughing and wheezing is a good sign that meds are working and getting that junk moving. You can still call your Dr. and if it doesn't go away in a week or so I would definately call the Dr.

Hope you get to feeling better soon Courtney!

HairGirl

I'm with lightNlife, 99% of the time I feel worse after starting antibiotics and then in a couple days I start to feel better, and the more coughing and wheezing is a good sign that meds are working and getting that junk moving. You can still call your Dr. and if it doesn't go away in a week or so I would definately call the Dr.

HairGirl

HairGirl

HairGirl