creon and milk

stringbean

My 7 yr old daughter was diagnosed with pancreatic insufficiency a few months ago and she now takes creon 10 (3 with meals and 2 with snacks) The pharmacist mentioned that she shouldn't have milk or ice cream with the pills, which wasn't much of a problem since she doesn't particularly care for ice cream.

Since starting the medication, she has LOST four pounds (or more -- we have another weigh-in next week) It's killing me -- it took so much effort to get her up to 40 pounds (and honestly, I think it was the fecal fat test that finally pushed her over 40 pounds). She hasn't been hungry since starting on the medication.

So many of the recipes I've read on this site seem to have milk and cream. I went back to the Creon website and their literature says it shouldn't be taken with milk. I asked her doctor and he said he'd leave it up to me. Eek! She's taking so many pills, I'm afraid to try. Will it upset her stomach? Are the pills just less efficient? Could that lead to further weight loss?

We have an appointment with a nutritionist, but that's not until June. I'd love to be able to give my daughter drinks with cream to increase her weight, but I'm afraid to make things worse. (She just can't seem eat enough at one sitting, so I'm looking for a way to quickly give her a ton of calories.) Has anyone had a bad experience with using Creon and milk? Does the dosage make a difference?

Thanks! I'd appreciate any advice I can get!!!!!!

stringbean

My 7 yr old daughter was diagnosed with pancreatic insufficiency a few months ago and she now takes creon 10 (3 with meals and 2 with snacks) The pharmacist mentioned that she shouldn't have milk or ice cream with the pills, which wasn't much of a problem since she doesn't particularly care for ice cream.

Since starting the medication, she has LOST four pounds (or more -- we have another weigh-in next week) It's killing me -- it took so much effort to get her up to 40 pounds (and honestly, I think it was the fecal fat test that finally pushed her over 40 pounds). She hasn't been hungry since starting on the medication.

So many of the recipes I've read on this site seem to have milk and cream. I went back to the Creon website and their literature says it shouldn't be taken with milk. I asked her doctor and he said he'd leave it up to me. Eek! She's taking so many pills, I'm afraid to try. Will it upset her stomach? Are the pills just less efficient? Could that lead to further weight loss?

We have an appointment with a nutritionist, but that's not until June. I'd love to be able to give my daughter drinks with cream to increase her weight, but I'm afraid to make things worse. (She just can't seem eat enough at one sitting, so I'm looking for a way to quickly give her a ton of calories.) Has anyone had a bad experience with using Creon and milk? Does the dosage make a difference?

stringbean

stringbean

stringbean

<br />
<br />Since starting the medication, she has LOST four pounds (or more -- we have another weigh-in next week) It's killing me -- it took so much effort to get her up to 40 pounds (and honestly, I think it was the fecal fat test that finally pushed her over 40 pounds). She hasn't been hungry since starting on the medication.
<br />
<br />So many of the recipes I've read on this site seem to have milk and cream. I went back to the Creon website and their literature says it shouldn't be taken with milk. I asked her doctor and he said he'd leave it up to me. Eek! She's taking so many pills, I'm afraid to try. Will it upset her stomach? Are the pills just less efficient? Could that lead to further weight loss?
<br />
<br />We have an appointment with a nutritionist, but that's not until June. I'd love to be able to give my daughter drinks with cream to increase her weight, but I'm afraid to make things worse. (She just can't seem eat enough at one sitting, so I'm looking for a way to quickly give her a ton of calories.) Has anyone had a bad experience with using Creon and milk? Does the dosage make a difference?
<br />
<br />Thanks! I'd appreciate any advice I can get!!!!!!

JazzysMom

I was never told by anyone not to have milk/dairy when using my creons. I know many people (kids included) who use dairy & take creons....

This is new to me!!!

As to the wait loss...it could be a few things. Does she take anything for acid? This can occur even without "obvious" symtpoms, but acid makes the enzymes less effective.

Not all enzymes work for everyone & sometimes a person has to change because their body doesnt get the full benefit from what they were using anymore.

I wouldnt be afraid to try milk.

I also suggest you put this post in the family section as well. I think you will get more responses as the Nutrition area is not read as often!

Good Luck!

JazzysMom

I was never told by anyone not to have milk/dairy when using my creons. I know many people (kids included) who use dairy & take creons....

This is new to me!!!

As to the wait loss...it could be a few things. Does she take anything for acid? This can occur even without "obvious" symtpoms, but acid makes the enzymes less effective.

Not all enzymes work for everyone & sometimes a person has to change because their body doesnt get the full benefit from what they were using anymore.

I also suggest you put this post in the family section as well. I think you will get more responses as the Nutrition area is not read as often!

Good Luck!

JazzysMom

This is new to me!!!

Good Luck!

JazzysMom

This is new to me!!!

Good Luck!

JazzysMom

<br />
<br />This is new to me!!!
<br />
<br />As to the wait loss...it could be a few things. Does she take anything for acid? This can occur even without "obvious" symtpoms, but acid makes the enzymes less effective.
<br />
<br />Not all enzymes work for everyone & sometimes a person has to change because their body doesnt get the full benefit from what they were using anymore.
<br />
<br />I wouldnt be afraid to try milk.
<br />
<br />I also suggest you put this post in the family section as well. I think you will get more responses as the Nutrition area is not read as often!
<br />
<br />Good Luck!

M

mneville

I don't think that is correct at all!! I think they mean that you should not give the Creon with milk or milk products! Meaning don't mix the beads with milk and then give it to your child. Of course she can have milk after taking the enzymes. My Aidan lives on milk products with high doses of Creon. He is a massive weight gainer. 60 pounds at age 4!
Megan

M

mneville

I don't think that is correct at all!! I think they mean that you should not give the Creon with milk or milk products! Meaning don't mix the beads with milk and then give it to your child. Of course she can have milk after taking the enzymes. My Aidan lives on milk products with high doses of Creon. He is a massive weight gainer. 60 pounds at age 4!
Megan

M

mneville

Megan

M

mneville

Megan

M

mneville

<br />Megan

JennyCoulon

Our oldest son is on Creon 20's and he has a g button that he gets Carnation Instant Breakfast thru it. Our youngest is on Creon 10's and loves milk. I think that they mean don't give the enzymes with milk products. I would check with the CF clinic.

JennyCoulon

Our oldest son is on Creon 20's and he has a g button that he gets Carnation Instant Breakfast thru it. Our youngest is on Creon 10's and loves milk. I think that they mean don't give the enzymes with milk products. I would check with the CF clinic.

JennyCoulon

JennyCoulon

JennyCoulon