cross contamination at school

tuttimama

I just found out yesterday that dd will be starting kindergarten with two other children w/ cf. First thing that concerns me is that I seemed to find out by accident during a meeting with her teacher and the school nurse. I had to specifically ask how many others had cf...no info was offered and I'm not sure if the other cf parents have any idea. The school had already arranged for all of the children to be separated during classes, but they have no plan for PE, recess or before school when all the kindergarteners will be in the library together. Even if we know who the other children are, I don't know if I want my child to be told that she can't play with those kids because there is another cfer over there.

School starts on Monday and I have no idea what to do...most school officials are in meetings for the next 2 days.

DD just turned 5, maybe we should just hold her back another year...

tuttimama

I just found out yesterday that dd will be starting kindergarten with two other children w/ cf. First thing that concerns me is that I seemed to find out by accident during a meeting with her teacher and the school nurse. I had to specifically ask how many others had cf...no info was offered and I'm not sure if the other cf parents have any idea. The school had already arranged for all of the children to be separated during classes, but they have no plan for PE, recess or before school when all the kindergarteners will be in the library together. Even if we know who the other children are, I don't know if I want my child to be told that she can't play with those kids because there is another cfer over there.

School starts on Monday and I have no idea what to do...most school officials are in meetings for the next 2 days.

tuttimama

tuttimama

tuttimama

<br />
<br />School starts on Monday and I have no idea what to do...most school officials are in meetings for the next 2 days.
<br />
<br />DD just turned 5, maybe we should just hold her back another year...
<br />

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Yikes, I guess I'd be a tad concerned. So far DS is the only one in his class, but I already worry about a 3 year old that will be going to the same elementary school as DS in about 3 years.

We DID hold back DS last year -- he has a June birthday and he really wasn't ready to go, wasn't a CF issue.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Yikes, I guess I'd be a tad concerned. So far DS is the only one in his class, but I already worry about a 3 year old that will be going to the same elementary school as DS in about 3 years.

We DID hold back DS last year -- he has a June birthday and he really wasn't ready to go, wasn't a CF issue.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
<br />
<br />We DID hold back DS last year -- he has a June birthday and he really wasn't ready to go, wasn't a CF issue.

jbrandonAW

Can you send her to a different school? If not then you need to make sure then have a plan for keeping the kids away from each other. You also probably need to find out if you can set-up a meeting with the other 2 CF parents. (maybe have the nurse call them and find out if its ok to give info or something). IF the other kids don't really have anything she doesn't have then its not a concern. BUt I think that its VITAL that all 3 of your guys are in constant contact b/c if yours gets sick then its likes theres will to ya know.

You don't want to hold her back b/c thats not really fair to her.

jbrandonAW

Can you send her to a different school? If not then you need to make sure then have a plan for keeping the kids away from each other. You also probably need to find out if you can set-up a meeting with the other 2 CF parents. (maybe have the nurse call them and find out if its ok to give info or something). IF the other kids don't really have anything she doesn't have then its not a concern. BUt I think that its VITAL that all 3 of your guys are in constant contact b/c if yours gets sick then its likes theres will to ya know.

jbrandonAW

jbrandonAW

jbrandonAW

<br />
<br />You don't want to hold her back b/c thats not really fair to her.

DEES4

Oh geez...that is not good at all. My son goes to a private school and I did find out that there is another child with CF at the school but she is in 7th grade and my son in kindergarten....so there should be no reason that they are ever around each other. I did inform his teacher of this though so she would know. I also held one of my kids back but not due to CF...he had an August birthday and was just not ready yet. I honestly don't know what I would do if I was in your situation. I had thought seriously about homeschooling but then at the last minute decided to give school a try. So far so good!! So I guess if it were me in your situation I would either find a different school or homeschool. At the very least I would set up a meeting with the other parents and discuss some options with the school on how they intend on keeping these three kids seperated.

DEES4

Oh geez...that is not good at all. My son goes to a private school and I did find out that there is another child with CF at the school but she is in 7th grade and my son in kindergarten....so there should be no reason that they are ever around each other. I did inform his teacher of this though so she would know. I also held one of my kids back but not due to CF...he had an August birthday and was just not ready yet. I honestly don't know what I would do if I was in your situation. I had thought seriously about homeschooling but then at the last minute decided to give school a try. So far so good!! So I guess if it were me in your situation I would either find a different school or homeschool. At the very least I would set up a meeting with the other parents and discuss some options with the school on how they intend on keeping these three kids seperated.

DEES4

DEES4

DEES4