culture results - anyone treat?

taraann

Hi, I have a 9yo with CF. He has cultured nothing but MRSA for about 4 years. I have begun to think the MRSA is kicking everything else out. His lung infections are slowly becoming more frequent. Before he was colonized with MRSA he grew out psuedamonas and staph. I don't know about not treating staph. If we don't treat my sons lung infections he will get really sick. And MRSA is the only thing to treat.

taraann

Hi, I have a 9yo with CF. He has cultured nothing but MRSA for about 4 years. I have begun to think the MRSA is kicking everything else out. His lung infections are slowly becoming more frequent. Before he was colonized with MRSA he grew out psuedamonas and staph. I don't know about not treating staph. If we don't treat my sons lung infections he will get really sick. And MRSA is the only thing to treat.

taraann

taraann

pjspiegle

Hi,

In regards to the aspergillis, yes, it does need to be treated in my opinion. It usually takes 6-9 months to irradicate, but we have been fighting it for over a year now. We finally got one negative culture but are still treating it to make sure.
Usual treatment includes at least a month of predisone and then 6 months plus of itraconazole, an anti-fungal antibiotic. Some hesitate to treat unless the IGE's and IGA's (I think) are off, but that just allowed it to set up shop for us and made it much harder to treat. Knowing what I know now, I would certainly really question why not treating now verses waiting. I don't think that there are any adverse side-effects that would make it worth waiting verses starting treatment. Ask the doc if there are any negative side-effects that would warrant waiting and what if any benefit there would be. My friends daughters both had it as well but they were both successfully treated in a 6 month period. Just be aware that it can take 6 months to 18 months of treatment. I do believe that the costs might be an insurance reason for waiting, but I don't think that it is in the best interest of the child.j

Hope this helps,

pjspiegle

Hi,

In regards to the aspergillis, yes, it does need to be treated in my opinion. It usually takes 6-9 months to irradicate, but we have been fighting it for over a year now. We finally got one negative culture but are still treating it to make sure.
Usual treatment includes at least a month of predisone and then 6 months plus of itraconazole, an anti-fungal antibiotic. Some hesitate to treat unless the IGE's and IGA's (I think) are off, but that just allowed it to set up shop for us and made it much harder to treat. Knowing what I know now, I would certainly really question why not treating now verses waiting. I don't think that there are any adverse side-effects that would make it worth waiting verses starting treatment. Ask the doc if there are any negative side-effects that would warrant waiting and what if any benefit there would be. My friends daughters both had it as well but they were both successfully treated in a 6 month period. Just be aware that it can take 6 months to 18 months of treatment. I do believe that the costs might be an insurance reason for waiting, but I don't think that it is in the best interest of the child.j

Hope this helps,

pjspiegle

Hi,

Hope this helps,

pjspiegle

Hi,

Hope this helps,

pjspiegle

Hi,
<br />
<br />In regards to the aspergillis, yes, it does need to be treated in my opinion. It usually takes 6-9 months to irradicate, but we have been fighting it for over a year now. We finally got one negative culture but are still treating it to make sure.
<br />Usual treatment includes at least a month of predisone and then 6 months plus of itraconazole, an anti-fungal antibiotic. Some hesitate to treat unless the IGE's and IGA's (I think) are off, but that just allowed it to set up shop for us and made it much harder to treat. Knowing what I know now, I would certainly really question why not treating now verses waiting. I don't think that there are any adverse side-effects that would make it worth waiting verses starting treatment. Ask the doc if there are any negative side-effects that would warrant waiting and what if any benefit there would be. My friends daughters both had it as well but they were both successfully treated in a 6 month period. Just be aware that it can take 6 months to 18 months of treatment. I do believe that the costs might be an insurance reason for waiting, but I don't think that it is in the best interest of the child.j
<br />
<br />Hope this helps,
<br />