curious...any other cf kids with no salty tasting skin?

sheilaherbst

Valerie-I see your son was also diagnosed with autism...my daughter, who is about to have the sweat test, mainly for growth reasons, was diagnosed with PDD when she was 3 and my son (5 1/2) was also diagnosed with autism when he was 3 1/2. Through lots of prayers and therapy, neither fall on autism range now (my daughter -no symptoms, my son, mild language delay) -wonder if there is a connection b/t cf and autism? Have you met many other parents whose children have both? Lots of the same issues...bowels, etc.
-Sheila

sheilaherbst

Valerie-I see your son was also diagnosed with autism...my daughter, who is about to have the sweat test, mainly for growth reasons, was diagnosed with PDD when she was 3 and my son (5 1/2) was also diagnosed with autism when he was 3 1/2. Through lots of prayers and therapy, neither fall on autism range now (my daughter -no symptoms, my son, mild language delay) -wonder if there is a connection b/t cf and autism? Have you met many other parents whose children have both? Lots of the same issues...bowels, etc.
-Sheila

sheilaherbst

-Sheila

sheilaherbst

-Sheila

sheilaherbst

<br />-Sheila

sheilaherbst

Liza, when your child came back with a 32 on the sweat test did you think they didn't have cf? What made you continue testing? I'm wondering what # is "safe" to assume they don't have cf. And, if your gut feeling is telling you different, how do you convince the doctor to do genetic testing? Thanks, Sheila

sheilaherbst

Liza, when your child came back with a 32 on the sweat test did you think they didn't have cf? What made you continue testing? I'm wondering what # is "safe" to assume they don't have cf. And, if your gut feeling is telling you different, how do you convince the doctor to do genetic testing? Thanks, Sheila

sheilaherbst

sheilaherbst

sheilaherbst

hmw

I never noticed Emily tasting salty either when she was younger and her sweat test came back at 90 and 108 this past fall when dx'ed. I used to kiss her feet all the time when she was a baby and toddler; she LOVED it so we made it a game and I never noticed any kind of difference between her and her brothers. She was always the kind of kid that wanted to be snuggled and got lots of kisses from all her family & close friends- none of us ever noticed a thing. Tim is only 2yrs older than her and only sweated 34; I have wondered now why I never noticed a difference and wondered if it meant anything. Is it possible her sweat test would have been much much lower as baby/toddler?

Sheila- Emily has epilepsy & developmental disabilities; my oldest child who is still being worked up for CF also has seizures (though he is well on track toward outgrowing his.) I wondered about how many others here deal with both neuro/developmental issues and CF and even though there is no 'official' connection if there is some kind of looser one that has ever been noted...

hmw

I never noticed Emily tasting salty either when she was younger and her sweat test came back at 90 and 108 this past fall when dx'ed. I used to kiss her feet all the time when she was a baby and toddler; she LOVED it so we made it a game and I never noticed any kind of difference between her and her brothers. She was always the kind of kid that wanted to be snuggled and got lots of kisses from all her family & close friends- none of us ever noticed a thing. Tim is only 2yrs older than her and only sweated 34; I have wondered now why I never noticed a difference and wondered if it meant anything. Is it possible her sweat test would have been much much lower as baby/toddler?

Sheila- Emily has epilepsy & developmental disabilities; my oldest child who is still being worked up for CF also has seizures (though he is well on track toward outgrowing his.) I wondered about how many others here deal with both neuro/developmental issues and CF and even though there is no 'official' connection if there is some kind of looser one that has ever been noted...

hmw

hmw

hmw

<br />
<br />Sheila- Emily has epilepsy & developmental disabilities; my oldest child who is still being worked up for CF also has seizures (though he is well on track toward outgrowing his.) I wondered about how many others here deal with both neuro/developmental issues and CF and even though there is no 'official' connection if there is some kind of looser one that has ever been noted...

asiewny

Hi there! This is such an interesting thread. I have a ds who is almost ten, has high functioning autism and is being tested for CF. He had a high borderline sweat test and we go to the CF clinic on Tuesday. My dd was diagnosed with PDD-NOS when she was 18mos old and has seizures. I have been wondering the same thing about a connection between CF and other neuro issues. If my son does turn out to have CF, I know for a fact then that the autism issues delayed the dx because it was easy to blame the symptoms on autism. I have also heard that children who have health problems or disabilities are at higher risk for having other health issues as well.

asiewny

Hi there! This is such an interesting thread. I have a ds who is almost ten, has high functioning autism and is being tested for CF. He had a high borderline sweat test and we go to the CF clinic on Tuesday. My dd was diagnosed with PDD-NOS when she was 18mos old and has seizures. I have been wondering the same thing about a connection between CF and other neuro issues. If my son does turn out to have CF, I know for a fact then that the autism issues delayed the dx because it was easy to blame the symptoms on autism. I have also heard that children who have health problems or disabilities are at higher risk for having other health issues as well.

asiewny

asiewny

asiewny