Daughter might have CF

fishHead

Hi everyone. I'm new here and was wondering about something. I have a 2 year old that has not gained any weight for 1 year. She is pretty small but does not seem to have any problems with breathing, playing, or things like that. She is just small. So the DR. Recommended the sweat test and it came back borderline. She said this is uncommon to happen. I was wondering if any who do have CF had this result the first time? We are supposed to get another sweat test to see if the results come back differently or not. I don't know what to expect or if most of the time borderline turns or to be CF or not.
I've tried researching this and cannot find out. One thing to note is she is adopted from here in the USA but we don't know the history of the family so I'm not sure it either the birth mom or dad have it in the family.

fishHead

Hi everyone. I'm new here and was wondering about something. I have a 2 year old that has not gained any weight for 1 year. She is pretty small but does not seem to have any problems with breathing, playing, or things like that. She is just small. So the DR. Recommended the sweat test and it came back borderline. She said this is uncommon to happen. I was wondering if any who do have CF had this result the first time? We are supposed to get another sweat test to see if the results come back differently or not. I don't know what to expect or if most of the time borderline turns or to be CF or not.
I've tried researching this and cannot find out. One thing to note is she is adopted from here in the USA but we don't know the history of the family so I'm not sure it either the birth mom or dad have it in the family.

fishHead

fishHead

fishHead

AnnaH

Do a FULL genetic test- not only 32 mutations or whatever. Ambry or quest, 1500(or more- it's been a while since i checked) mutations. They might also do a nasal differential.

Lots of kids with CF don't have breathing problems until they're older. I had above average lung function and no infections until i was 8.
I think most kids get diagnosed because of digestive issues.

AnnaH

Do a FULL genetic test- not only 32 mutations or whatever. Ambry or quest, 1500(or more- it's been a while since i checked) mutations. They might also do a nasal differential.

Lots of kids with CF don't have breathing problems until they're older. I had above average lung function and no infections until i was 8.

AnnaH

AnnaH

AnnaH

T

tarheel

yea i was like extremely positive for the sweat test- but the other signs would lead me to believe that she might also. Better to be proactive than reactive.

T

tarheel

yea i was like extremely positive for the sweat test- but the other signs would lead me to believe that she might also. Better to be proactive than reactive.

T

tarheel

T

tarheel

T

tarheel

izemmom

Push your doctor to do the blood test. Go as big as they will allow - the Ambry amplified, I beleive is the best...you will get a better answer to this if you repost in the adult or families section. Many people here have had borderline or even negative sweat tests and then been diagnosed later. Please push for the genetic testing, rather than just a second sweat.

There was no known history in either of our families, so not knowing about your baby's birth family isn't necessarily a hinderance.

Being small isn't necessarily indicitave of cf, but, many young cfer's dont have respitory problems, either. THe borderline result combined with no weight gain for a YEAR are reason enough to keep pushing until you have found a reason.

Good luck!

izemmom

Push your doctor to do the blood test. Go as big as they will allow - the Ambry amplified, I beleive is the best...you will get a better answer to this if you repost in the adult or families section. Many people here have had borderline or even negative sweat tests and then been diagnosed later. Please push for the genetic testing, rather than just a second sweat.

There was no known history in either of our families, so not knowing about your baby's birth family isn't necessarily a hinderance.

Being small isn't necessarily indicitave of cf, but, many young cfer's dont have respitory problems, either. THe borderline result combined with no weight gain for a YEAR are reason enough to keep pushing until you have found a reason.

Good luck!

izemmom

Good luck!

izemmom

Good luck!

izemmom

Good luck!