Dental Problems from Meds?

Shine

I'm the same.
<br />My teeth are discoloured too.
<br />I was told by a dentist some time ago that it's b/c of the meds i take and liquid vitamin E etc, that has discoloured my teeth over time.
<br />Though I noticed about 6 months ago, some definite black marks on a 2 of my molars at the back.
<br />Come to think of it, I've been getting a very dry mouth and have had no end of problems with fungal in mouth since I started taking Azithromycin a couple of years back.
<br />
<br />Also I found out from my cf/asmatha doc that, Pulmicort(Budesonide)turbuhaler can cause loads of problems with teeth. She said I was more susceptible to cavities b/c of the pulmicort being a steroid and all. Sheesh why didn't they tell me this before!
<br />
<br />Just out of curiosity...has any cfer had this happen to them while being on Azithromycin?

theLostMiler

okay, in my opinion the meds that we inhale and neb have to hurt our teeth... They sit on our teeth (depending on when we brush after our treatments...and this is horrible, admittedly brushing my teeth at night is hardest for me... so I do miss that one often and that probably is when I incurr the most damage) and especially on our gumlines. I have the worst problems with my gum lines, but I didnt see a dentist for years just b/c my ped one retired and I live in a small town where the other dentist sucked... so I just waited until college when I got a toothache I needed to get fixed... and now I get regular cleanings and such. I did just get a sonicare brush this weekend and I love it so far... for some reason it seems that brushing teeth at night isnt so much of a task (my CF stuff alone is more than enough it feels most nights). Sometimes I guess I just feel teeth are the least importance or the last on my mind but really mouth health does affect overall health so I have been stepping up my oral hygiene the past 6 months... just b/c I dont want to get cavities and have my body trying to fight off that when I need energy to be diverted to my lungs haha.

anyways, I am always told I have no TARTER buildup or plaque really (although that causes cavities)and I rarely floss. The hygentist (spelling?) said it could be that the meds cause a different chemical balance in our mouths. But I do try to use a flouride paste and when Im out of that I try to rinse with ACT the floride mouthwash... All of that helps with calcium defieciencies (spelling again sorry ;/ ) and such.

I also heard that our teeth can get pulled out (kinda like when babies suck on their thumbs i think) just b/c we all hold on to the nebs with our mouths (well at least I do) ... I mean I havent seen any, but I imagine it isnt the best on our teeth to hold the entire neb haha.

theLostMiler

okay, in my opinion the meds that we inhale and neb have to hurt our teeth... They sit on our teeth (depending on when we brush after our treatments...and this is horrible, admittedly brushing my teeth at night is hardest for me... so I do miss that one often and that probably is when I incurr the most damage) and especially on our gumlines. I have the worst problems with my gum lines, but I didnt see a dentist for years just b/c my ped one retired and I live in a small town where the other dentist sucked... so I just waited until college when I got a toothache I needed to get fixed... and now I get regular cleanings and such. I did just get a sonicare brush this weekend and I love it so far... for some reason it seems that brushing teeth at night isnt so much of a task (my CF stuff alone is more than enough it feels most nights). Sometimes I guess I just feel teeth are the least importance or the last on my mind but really mouth health does affect overall health so I have been stepping up my oral hygiene the past 6 months... just b/c I dont want to get cavities and have my body trying to fight off that when I need energy to be diverted to my lungs haha.

anyways, I am always told I have no TARTER buildup or plaque really (although that causes cavities)and I rarely floss. The hygentist (spelling?) said it could be that the meds cause a different chemical balance in our mouths. But I do try to use a flouride paste and when Im out of that I try to rinse with ACT the floride mouthwash... All of that helps with calcium defieciencies (spelling again sorry ;/ ) and such.

I also heard that our teeth can get pulled out (kinda like when babies suck on their thumbs i think) just b/c we all hold on to the nebs with our mouths (well at least I do) ... I mean I havent seen any, but I imagine it isnt the best on our teeth to hold the entire neb haha.

theLostMiler

<br />
<br />anyways, I am always told I have no TARTER buildup or plaque really (although that causes cavities)and I rarely floss. The hygentist (spelling?) said it could be that the meds cause a different chemical balance in our mouths. But I do try to use a flouride paste and when Im out of that I try to rinse with ACT the floride mouthwash... All of that helps with calcium defieciencies (spelling again sorry ;/ ) and such.
<br />
<br />I also heard that our teeth can get pulled out (kinda like when babies suck on their thumbs i think) just b/c we all hold on to the nebs with our mouths (well at least I do) ... I mean I havent seen any, but I imagine it isnt the best on our teeth to hold the entire neb haha.

sue35

My meds are decaying my back teeth. I have already had to have the back two (not the wisdom) pulled. I also have soft teeth so I think I get more cavities from the meds also.

sue35

My meds are decaying my back teeth. I have already had to have the back two (not the wisdom) pulled. I also have soft teeth so I think I get more cavities from the meds also.

sue35