Depression and Cystic Fibrosis

Ricky123

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>CBJ</b></i>

I think depression can go hand and hand with CF because unless you have it you have no idea what we go through.My childhood was difficult too. Children are so crewl and judgmental that if your not like everyone else you get hung out to dry. Not being able to play sports and do things you want to do as a kid is hard. And once the teen years hit it's the beginning of depression cause you've been outcasted. This is what got me into what I say has saved my life MUSIC. It was the only thing basically my parents didn't have a problem with me doing. Everyone has there own thing and I hope you find what helps you. But always remember your not alone in dealing with these cf problems and together we all can beat this disease.</end quote></div> CBJ well said

Ricky123

I think depression can go hand and hand with CF because unless you have it you have no idea what we go through.My childhood was difficult too. Children are so crewl and judgmental that if your not like everyone else you get hung out to dry. Not being able to play sports and do things you want to do as a kid is hard. And once the teen years hit it's the beginning of depression cause you've been outcasted. This is what got me into what I say has saved my life MUSIC. It was the only thing basically my parents didn't have a problem with me doing. Everyone has there own thing and I hope you find what helps you. But always remember your not alone in dealing with these cf problems and together we all can beat this disease.</end quote></div> CBJ well said

Ricky123

I think depression can go hand and hand with CF because unless you have it you have no idea what we go through.My childhood was difficult too. Children are so crewl and judgmental that if your not like everyone else you get hung out to dry. Not being able to play sports and do things you want to do as a kid is hard. And once the teen years hit it's the beginning of depression cause you've been outcasted. This is what got me into what I say has saved my life MUSIC. It was the only thing basically my parents didn't have a problem with me doing. Everyone has there own thing and I hope you find what helps you. But always remember your not alone in dealing with these cf problems and together we all can beat this disease.</end quote> CBJ well said

Ricky123

I think depression can go hand and hand with CF because unless you have it you have no idea what we go through.My childhood was difficult too. Children are so crewl and judgmental that if your not like everyone else you get hung out to dry. Not being able to play sports and do things you want to do as a kid is hard. And once the teen years hit it's the beginning of depression cause you've been outcasted. This is what got me into what I say has saved my life MUSIC. It was the only thing basically my parents didn't have a problem with me doing. Everyone has there own thing and I hope you find what helps you. But always remember your not alone in dealing with these cf problems and together we all can beat this disease.</end quote> CBJ well said

KrazyKat

I'm another who abused my body with drugs and alcohol for years, after initially being diagnosed at 19 and told i'd be lucky to see 25.
I never went back to the doctor who diagnosed me, didn't go to clinic, i basically said thanks for the enzymes and that was the end of my CF 'care'.
I went on self destruct, hell i was dying anyway at least i'd do it my way, not let the CF take me. So I drank, smoked cigarettes, smoked weed, took all sorts of other drugs and partied harder than anyone in my group of friends. I had the tolerance of a monster and loved every minute of it.
Then i travelled at age 27 and by about age 30, stopped for a minute to reassess my life - frankly i was amazed i was still alive, this isn't what i'd planned.
So i figured, well i'm still here, I may as well start trying to actually have a life again. And here I am, 9 years later, drug, weed, alchohol and cigarette free (mostly, i'm not perfect, i still like to live a little), healthier and happier than i've ever been.
Was i depressed and self medicating for many years? Yep, probably. Am i now on anti-depressents? No. I don't think i need them, i've faced my demons and won, now i'm just grateful to be alive and as comparitively healthy as I am. I have few, if any regrets though. Being a super straight person my entire life would have bored me rigid. Each to their own though.

KrazyKat

I'm another who abused my body with drugs and alcohol for years, after initially being diagnosed at 19 and told i'd be lucky to see 25.
I never went back to the doctor who diagnosed me, didn't go to clinic, i basically said thanks for the enzymes and that was the end of my CF 'care'.
I went on self destruct, hell i was dying anyway at least i'd do it my way, not let the CF take me. So I drank, smoked cigarettes, smoked weed, took all sorts of other drugs and partied harder than anyone in my group of friends. I had the tolerance of a monster and loved every minute of it.
Then i travelled at age 27 and by about age 30, stopped for a minute to reassess my life - frankly i was amazed i was still alive, this isn't what i'd planned.
So i figured, well i'm still here, I may as well start trying to actually have a life again. And here I am, 9 years later, drug, weed, alchohol and cigarette free (mostly, i'm not perfect, i still like to live a little), healthier and happier than i've ever been.
Was i depressed and self medicating for many years? Yep, probably. Am i now on anti-depressents? No. I don't think i need them, i've faced my demons and won, now i'm just grateful to be alive and as comparitively healthy as I am. I have few, if any regrets though. Being a super straight person my entire life would have bored me rigid. Each to their own though.

KrazyKat

KrazyKat

KrazyKat

KrazyKat