Depression and Cystic Fibrosis

haleysmom90

I think part of the reason my 17 yr daughter has experimented with alcohol before being legal is that she wants to experience as much as she can while she is able. Im in total disagreement with that philosophy because drinking and drugs will just speed up her disease process. Hopefully most people with open minds can understand her irrational thinking. That is why it is so important for there to be more psych reources to help chronically ill children deal with their situations.

haleysmom90

I think part of the reason my 17 yr daughter has experimented with alcohol before being legal is that she wants to experience as much as she can while she is able. Im in total disagreement with that philosophy because drinking and drugs will just speed up her disease process. Hopefully most people with open minds can understand her irrational thinking. That is why it is so important for there to be more psych reources to help chronically ill children deal with their situations.

Ricky123

yes i have suffered from depression becasue i felt different from other kids ie stomach aches ,coughing and headachy and tired

Ricky123

yes i have suffered from depression becasue i felt different from other kids ie stomach aches ,coughing and headachy and tired

Ricky123

Ricky123

Ricky123

Ricky123

kayleesgrandma

Betty, this was an interesting topic you brought up--I think that some of the blogs by some of the other cfrs would help you, go back to their very first blog and learn about them--they have faced depression also--I am referring to Jade, and Fr3ak, kswitch, Jennifershope--read the comments that other cfrs here made--it seems that quite a few have comtemplated suicide...in fact I think most of the crfrs here have experienced depression--how could you not? I know I did when I was the first to know about Kaylee...

<b>haleysmom90</b>--I'm sorry you were offended by Amy's response, but you will not be treated with kid gloves here...it sounds like you have so much on your plate right now, and I am so sorry. You should put this in a blog, and you would be surprised how many good suggestions you will receive--or as another thread on the Families section...I know there are many here/there who may give you suggestions to help with parenting. So many here have gone through what your daughter is going through. I know you are in a fragile state right now, otherwise I would think you could've read Amy's comment and flipped it off, and gone on the the other comments--as you sound like a very intelligent person who thinks things through. Again, please go throught the blogs I mentioned above--they would be good reading for your daughter as well--help her understand that her feelings are not unique to her alone. Her feelings of isolation are not unique either, and I think you make a extremely good point about how this should be addressed by the medical community.

The one thing you all need to know it that you can ALWAYS come here to vent, and you WILL find support--but you have to take the "good" with the "bad"--or learn to block certain people who you disagree with.

kayleesgrandma

Betty, this was an interesting topic you brought up--I think that some of the blogs by some of the other cfrs would help you, go back to their very first blog and learn about them--they have faced depression also--I am referring to Jade, and Fr3ak, kswitch, Jennifershope--read the comments that other cfrs here made--it seems that quite a few have comtemplated suicide...in fact I think most of the crfrs here have experienced depression--how could you not? I know I did when I was the first to know about Kaylee...

<b>haleysmom90</b>--I'm sorry you were offended by Amy's response, but you will not be treated with kid gloves here...it sounds like you have so much on your plate right now, and I am so sorry. You should put this in a blog, and you would be surprised how many good suggestions you will receive--or as another thread on the Families section...I know there are many here/there who may give you suggestions to help with parenting. So many here have gone through what your daughter is going through. I know you are in a fragile state right now, otherwise I would think you could've read Amy's comment and flipped it off, and gone on the the other comments--as you sound like a very intelligent person who thinks things through. Again, please go throught the blogs I mentioned above--they would be good reading for your daughter as well--help her understand that her feelings are not unique to her alone. Her feelings of isolation are not unique either, and I think you make a extremely good point about how this should be addressed by the medical community.

The one thing you all need to know it that you can ALWAYS come here to vent, and you WILL find support--but you have to take the "good" with the "bad"--or learn to block certain people who you disagree with.

kayleesgrandma

kayleesgrandma

kayleesgrandma

kayleesgrandma

wanderlost

<b>Vampy</b> I can see exactly how depression and Cf could be related. I was lucky enough to have a pretty normal childhood, but Cf was always in the background. I don't think it made me an outcast, but more determined to fit in - and not always in a good way - so when my friends were smoking cigarettes, so was I - stuff like that. There was NO WAY I was going to let Cf make me different - and though I don't think that resulted in depression for me, it certainly has shaped my life mentally - I still struggle with not telling people I have Cf and not wanting to look any different - I still usually hide my enzymes when i take them in front of people (not my family, but others)...so i think the childhood you described most definitely could contribute to your feelings now and I hope you'll take steps to rectify that (personally, I would advocate counseling over meds, but that's just my opinion).
<b>
jdprecious</b> as a mom of a CFer, I can totally see where anxiety would come into play - I have a ton of anxiety as a mom as it is - there is so much to worry about - and to top it off with a disease like Cf - oy! Hang in there, i think you'll see how "normal" many of us were able to grow up (normal being a relative term)

<b>Haleysmom90</b> I did a lot of the similar things that your daughter did as a teenager and well into my twenties - but i was much healtheir Cf-wise than she sounds. I can totally understand, as a mom, how you feel that at least she is living a somewhat "normal" adolescence, but I hope you'll stay vigilant to get her on the right path so that she can continue to live on into adulthood.

I can now say that I am sure plenty of my lung damage was done from smoking pot - and while I am not the least bit upset about the youth that I had, I can look back now and see how lucky I was to get out pretty unscathed. A lot of the poeple I hung out with at that time were not so lucky - and none of them had CF on top of it all. I know a lot of my drinking and drug use was an unconscious way to fit in. I chose the friends I did separately from CF, but when we all started getting into pot and stuff (we were "hippies") I knew I shouldn't smoke, but chose to do so anyway because I didn't want to not smoke because of CF, if that makes sense? Like I might have chosen not to smoke pot because I didn't like it (but I did - I do, I just don't now), but I wasn't going to let Cf be the reason I didn't do it. *Sigh*
My parents knew, I am sure, and while I am glad they didn't press the issue, they did constantly remind me of how important it was to keep my health up - and those little voices always stayed in the back of my mind, thankfully.

wanderlost

<b>Vampy</b> I can see exactly how depression and Cf could be related. I was lucky enough to have a pretty normal childhood, but Cf was always in the background. I don't think it made me an outcast, but more determined to fit in - and not always in a good way - so when my friends were smoking cigarettes, so was I - stuff like that. There was NO WAY I was going to let Cf make me different - and though I don't think that resulted in depression for me, it certainly has shaped my life mentally - I still struggle with not telling people I have Cf and not wanting to look any different - I still usually hide my enzymes when i take them in front of people (not my family, but others)...so i think the childhood you described most definitely could contribute to your feelings now and I hope you'll take steps to rectify that (personally, I would advocate counseling over meds, but that's just my opinion).
<b>
jdprecious</b> as a mom of a CFer, I can totally see where anxiety would come into play - I have a ton of anxiety as a mom as it is - there is so much to worry about - and to top it off with a disease like Cf - oy! Hang in there, i think you'll see how "normal" many of us were able to grow up (normal being a relative term)

<b>Haleysmom90</b> I did a lot of the similar things that your daughter did as a teenager and well into my twenties - but i was much healtheir Cf-wise than she sounds. I can totally understand, as a mom, how you feel that at least she is living a somewhat "normal" adolescence, but I hope you'll stay vigilant to get her on the right path so that she can continue to live on into adulthood.

I can now say that I am sure plenty of my lung damage was done from smoking pot - and while I am not the least bit upset about the youth that I had, I can look back now and see how lucky I was to get out pretty unscathed. A lot of the poeple I hung out with at that time were not so lucky - and none of them had CF on top of it all. I know a lot of my drinking and drug use was an unconscious way to fit in. I chose the friends I did separately from CF, but when we all started getting into pot and stuff (we were "hippies") I knew I shouldn't smoke, but chose to do so anyway because I didn't want to not smoke because of CF, if that makes sense? Like I might have chosen not to smoke pot because I didn't like it (but I did - I do, I just don't now), but I wasn't going to let Cf be the reason I didn't do it. *Sigh*
My parents knew, I am sure, and while I am glad they didn't press the issue, they did constantly remind me of how important it was to keep my health up - and those little voices always stayed in the back of my mind, thankfully.

wanderlost

<b>

wanderlost

<b>

wanderlost

<b>

wanderlost

<b>