Depression and medication

barbc888

Hi Guys,

I've been putting off posting this because it's a sensitive subject, and I've been trying to come to terms with the fact that I'm suffering from depression and have been for a while.

For those of you who take medication for depression, does it work well for you and does it help? And, what medication are you taking for the depression?

I'm also nervous about taking a "mind-altering" (for lack of a better term) drug and wondering how it will affect my body and my CF. My sister (no CF) is taking something for her depression and said when she first started it, she was dizzy and nauseus. Which makes me even more nervous about taking anything!

Anyhow, I have a dr's appt. in July to talk with someone and get some medication prescribed for this. Therapy alone is not helping.

Thanks all for listening (reading). I have a hard time talking about this, so this is a big step for me.

Barbara
40 w/CF & CFRD

barbc888

Hi Guys,

I've been putting off posting this because it's a sensitive subject, and I've been trying to come to terms with the fact that I'm suffering from depression and have been for a while.

For those of you who take medication for depression, does it work well for you and does it help? And, what medication are you taking for the depression?

I'm also nervous about taking a "mind-altering" (for lack of a better term) drug and wondering how it will affect my body and my CF. My sister (no CF) is taking something for her depression and said when she first started it, she was dizzy and nauseus. Which makes me even more nervous about taking anything!

Anyhow, I have a dr's appt. in July to talk with someone and get some medication prescribed for this. Therapy alone is not helping.

Thanks all for listening (reading). I have a hard time talking about this, so this is a big step for me.

Barbara
40 w/CF & CFRD

barbc888

Hi Guys,

Barbara
40 w/CF & CFRD

barbc888

Hi Guys,

Barbara
40 w/CF & CFRD

barbc888

Hi Guys,

Barbara
40 w/CF & CFRD

barbc888

Hi Guys,

Barbara
40 w/CF & CFRD

ej0820

hey there...I'm on Zoloft (generic: sertraline) and have been for a year or so now. It has really helped me a lot. I was a big ball of anger and frustration and whenever I went to school, anxiety would be added to the ball. Zoloft really works for me, it was the first antidepressant I tried and ended up sticking with it after my doc gave me a month's worth of samples. Zoloft isn't for everyone, another friend of mine was on it and said it didn't work for her really well so she takes Cymbalta now. As far as the side effects go, for the first week I took it, I got a stomach ache...not nausea or diahrrea or anything like that, it just felt as if I had fallen down and my stomach broke my fall or something. It wasn't bad, just annoying, but it ended after a week. As far as the "mind altering state", it doesn't do that. It doesn't put you in a fog so you're not depressed, and it doesn't make you unlike yourself. Antidepressants increase the seratonin in your brain so things don't get to you as much. Seratonin is necessary to have, and it's very common that people with depression aren't producing enough. If/When you start on an antidepressant, keep in mind that it takes them a good 3-4 weeks to really start working enough for you to notice a difference. Good luck and I hope you feel better...just know you're not alone with the whole depression thing...especially having CF and being on constant meds...those things are bound to screw something else up somewhere while they're fixing our lungs, lol.

ej0820

hey there...I'm on Zoloft (generic: sertraline) and have been for a year or so now. It has really helped me a lot. I was a big ball of anger and frustration and whenever I went to school, anxiety would be added to the ball. Zoloft really works for me, it was the first antidepressant I tried and ended up sticking with it after my doc gave me a month's worth of samples. Zoloft isn't for everyone, another friend of mine was on it and said it didn't work for her really well so she takes Cymbalta now. As far as the side effects go, for the first week I took it, I got a stomach ache...not nausea or diahrrea or anything like that, it just felt as if I had fallen down and my stomach broke my fall or something. It wasn't bad, just annoying, but it ended after a week. As far as the "mind altering state", it doesn't do that. It doesn't put you in a fog so you're not depressed, and it doesn't make you unlike yourself. Antidepressants increase the seratonin in your brain so things don't get to you as much. Seratonin is necessary to have, and it's very common that people with depression aren't producing enough. If/When you start on an antidepressant, keep in mind that it takes them a good 3-4 weeks to really start working enough for you to notice a difference. Good luck and I hope you feel better...just know you're not alone with the whole depression thing...especially having CF and being on constant meds...those things are bound to screw something else up somewhere while they're fixing our lungs, lol.

ej0820

ej0820

ej0820

ej0820

NoExcuses

Please read what I've typed about SSRI's.

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.cysticfibrosis.com/messageview.cfm?catid=5&threadid=14125&highlight_key=y&keyword1=ssri
">http://forums.cysticfibrosis.c...t_key=y&keyword1=ssri
</a>

As you will see, it's not a mind-altering medication.

NoExcuses

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.cysticfibrosis.com/messageview.cfm?catid=5&threadid=14125&highlight_key=y&keyword1=ssri
</a>

NoExcuses

</a>

NoExcuses

</a>

NoExcuses

</a>

NoExcuses

</a>

lightNlife

I'm manic-depressive (bipolar) and a few other anxiety issues. I have had incredible success with Seroquel and Anafranil. Seroquel really brought me out of my funk, helped me get good sleep so that I don't get overwhelmed. Seroquel is a mood stabilizer. I haven't noticed that it makes me feel "flat" or "dull," rather, it just keeps me from getting WAY too worked up (high or low) but still allows me to experience things like a normal person, which is great. I don't feel medicated at all, I feel like I've finally been given the go-ahead to participate in life.

I've been on Lexapro, Effexor, and a few other things in the past and had awful experiences. Sick as a dog, and they screwed up my system with the CF meds. Ugh. I'm glad to have a working solution.

Therapy has really helped too. Don't forget that there's nothing shameful about needing some help. As my therapist put it, whether you take a bus, walk, or ride in a limo, the point is that you reach a destination. Therapy can be like taking a limo instead of walking.

There is no single "fix it" pill, and so finding the right combination or treatment option may be difficult. Don't be too discouraged if the process takes awhile. Don't expect yourself to "snap out of it" and don't let people try to tell you you should be doing better within such-and-such a time period. Depression isn't like that.

I highly recommend the books <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.amazon.com/Undoing-Depression-Richard-OConnor/dp/0425166791/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-9968736-9240919?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1181260790&sr=1-1">Undoing Depression</a>and <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Genes-Breaking-Chemical-Imbalances/dp/1414312164/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-9968736-9240919?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1181260683&sr=8-1">Blue Genes</a> Both were tremendously helpful in improving my mindset as I worked with a therapist and a medication regime.

Best wishes.

lightNlife

I'm manic-depressive (bipolar) and a few other anxiety issues. I have had incredible success with Seroquel and Anafranil. Seroquel really brought me out of my funk, helped me get good sleep so that I don't get overwhelmed. Seroquel is a mood stabilizer. I haven't noticed that it makes me feel "flat" or "dull," rather, it just keeps me from getting WAY too worked up (high or low) but still allows me to experience things like a normal person, which is great. I don't feel medicated at all, I feel like I've finally been given the go-ahead to participate in life.

I've been on Lexapro, Effexor, and a few other things in the past and had awful experiences. Sick as a dog, and they screwed up my system with the CF meds. Ugh. I'm glad to have a working solution.

Therapy has really helped too. Don't forget that there's nothing shameful about needing some help. As my therapist put it, whether you take a bus, walk, or ride in a limo, the point is that you reach a destination. Therapy can be like taking a limo instead of walking.

There is no single "fix it" pill, and so finding the right combination or treatment option may be difficult. Don't be too discouraged if the process takes awhile. Don't expect yourself to "snap out of it" and don't let people try to tell you you should be doing better within such-and-such a time period. Depression isn't like that.

I highly recommend the books <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.amazon.com/Undoing-Depression-Richard-OConnor/dp/0425166791/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-9968736-9240919?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1181260790&sr=1-1">Undoing Depression</a>and <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Genes-Breaking-Chemical-Imbalances/dp/1414312164/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-9968736-9240919?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1181260683&sr=8-1">Blue Genes</a> Both were tremendously helpful in improving my mindset as I worked with a therapist and a medication regime.

Best wishes.