Depression and medication

thefrogprincess

Great questions! Here is my story, I had been suffering from depression for about a year before I finally admitted to myself that I had to do something about it. It took 3 tries to find the right medication, and then it took some messing around with the dosage to get it right, but once we did I started to feel so much better! The key things to remember are this: the first once you try, even the 5th one you try may not be right for you. I had horrible side effect from my first two meds, but keep trying! Too many people get discouraged when they do not have a miracle cure, but it does not work that way. Second: it may take a few months for you to notice a big improvement. Mine was very gradual until one day sitting on the couch I realized that I was happy. For no reason at all I felt really really happy, and it was wonderful! I took prozac, then wellbutrin, and then amitryptoline (sp??) was the one that worked. Please don't give up if you have to try a few different meds to find the right one!!! There is light ast the end of the tunnel for you, just stick with it!

thefrogprincess

Great questions! Here is my story, I had been suffering from depression for about a year before I finally admitted to myself that I had to do something about it. It took 3 tries to find the right medication, and then it took some messing around with the dosage to get it right, but once we did I started to feel so much better! The key things to remember are this: the first once you try, even the 5th one you try may not be right for you. I had horrible side effect from my first two meds, but keep trying! Too many people get discouraged when they do not have a miracle cure, but it does not work that way. Second: it may take a few months for you to notice a big improvement. Mine was very gradual until one day sitting on the couch I realized that I was happy. For no reason at all I felt really really happy, and it was wonderful! I took prozac, then wellbutrin, and then amitryptoline (sp??) was the one that worked. Please don't give up if you have to try a few different meds to find the right one!!! There is light ast the end of the tunnel for you, just stick with it!

amber682

Hi. I don't have Cf, my son does. I had been on Paxil for anxiety (social anxiety disorder) since high school. I somehow convinced myself I didn't need it last year, and went a few months feeling fine. Then Vinny was hospitalized in August and it all came flooding back, with depression as well (crying myself to sleep like every night, crying at the drop of a hat). I went to see a counselor and was put on Zoloft this time. I noticed a HUGE improvement with the depression in like a week, and the anxiety in a few weeks. I also still see the counselor, just a lot less often.

Neither was "mind-altering". The Paxil made my hands shaky and made me yawn a lot. The Zoloft gave me an upset stomach the first few days, so I was told to take it right before bed. Both had sexual side effects, the Paxil was worse. Sometimes I think the Zoloft gives me heartburn on an empty stomach.

If it did cause dizziness or nausea, it would most likely pass after a few days. Like I said, I had a little bit of upset stomach for a few days.

I say try it. It could make a huge difference. I feel tons better. And if you try it and it doesn't help or has undesirable side effects, I urge you to try another type.

amber682

Hi. I don't have Cf, my son does. I had been on Paxil for anxiety (social anxiety disorder) since high school. I somehow convinced myself I didn't need it last year, and went a few months feeling fine. Then Vinny was hospitalized in August and it all came flooding back, with depression as well (crying myself to sleep like every night, crying at the drop of a hat). I went to see a counselor and was put on Zoloft this time. I noticed a HUGE improvement with the depression in like a week, and the anxiety in a few weeks. I also still see the counselor, just a lot less often.

Neither was "mind-altering". The Paxil made my hands shaky and made me yawn a lot. The Zoloft gave me an upset stomach the first few days, so I was told to take it right before bed. Both had sexual side effects, the Paxil was worse. Sometimes I think the Zoloft gives me heartburn on an empty stomach.

If it did cause dizziness or nausea, it would most likely pass after a few days. Like I said, I had a little bit of upset stomach for a few days.

I say try it. It could make a huge difference. I feel tons better. And if you try it and it doesn't help or has undesirable side effects, I urge you to try another type.

amber682

amber682

amber682

amber682

sue35

I agree with Jessi when she said that it may take a few months. I always remember when all of a sudden I realized I wasn't sad anymore. I take Effexor and I really love it. I never had any side effects and I feel totally normal when I am on it. I still cry and have emotions but I don't have them all the time. The only side effects I have are if I forget to take it for a day or two I have really vivid dreams all night.

I am glad that you are thinking about getting help. It took me a long time to admit I needed something and then when I did it, it was so easy I wondered why I waited that long. Good luck!

sue35

I agree with Jessi when she said that it may take a few months. I always remember when all of a sudden I realized I wasn't sad anymore. I take Effexor and I really love it. I never had any side effects and I feel totally normal when I am on it. I still cry and have emotions but I don't have them all the time. The only side effects I have are if I forget to take it for a day or two I have really vivid dreams all night.

I am glad that you are thinking about getting help. It took me a long time to admit I needed something and then when I did it, it was so easy I wondered why I waited that long. Good luck!

sue35

sue35

sue35

sue35

CaliSally

Prozac has been the only thing that has worked for me.
I didn't just have depression, I had suicidal thoughts. I tried Paxil (made me sick!), lexapro, and wellbutrin...nothing helped the thoughts like the prozac did.

Also, If you have anxiety along with depression - prozac is a good med choice. However one side note on prozac - higher doses can cause restless leg syndrome.

If the one you try doesn't seem to help (give it minimum 6 weeks), don't be afraid to ask for another. There are different a/d's for a reason - they all work different, and everyone's depression can be different.

Best wishes

CaliSally

I didn't just have depression, I had suicidal thoughts. I tried Paxil (made me sick!), lexapro, and wellbutrin...nothing helped the thoughts like the prozac did.

Also, If you have anxiety along with depression - prozac is a good med choice. However one side note on prozac - higher doses can cause restless leg syndrome.

If the one you try doesn't seem to help (give it minimum 6 weeks), don't be afraid to ask for another. There are different a/d's for a reason - they all work different, and everyone's depression can be different.

Best wishes

CaliSally

Best wishes

CaliSally

Best wishes

CaliSally

Best wishes

CaliSally

Best wishes