Depression & transplant

CrisDopher

Can a history of depression knock you off the transplant list? Is depression common before transplant? How about after?

Thanks,
Cris

CrisDopher

Can a history of depression knock you off the transplant list? Is depression common before transplant? How about after?

Thanks,
Cris

CrisDopher

Thanks,
Cris

CrisDopher

Thanks,
Cris

CrisDopher

<br />
<br />Thanks,
<br />Cris

coltsfan715

Depression is common both before and after by my understanding - especially after. Just because you suffer from depression doesn't mean that you are "not list-able". I know for my evaluation I had to meet with a psychiatrist and they tried to get me to take some anti anxiety medication I took it for a day and then refused to take it after that because of how it made me feel. I remember the woman telling me she thought I was depressed, I just looked at her and said I think I have a right to be ... I'm dying. She just stopped after that and said okay.

I did okay post transplant until about 1 year post transplant and I had to revisit the psych and take antidepressants for a short period of time until I could cope with the feelings and things I was having (most of which had absolutely nothing to do with my transplant). I think the meds do make mental health issues more common along with the health trials that we experience leading up to the transplant.

I think mostly what they look for is stability - by that I mean if you are at risk for wanting to hurt yourself or jeopardize your health by not taking meds and so on. The majority of transplantees I know at my center were on antidepressants or anti anxiety meds pre transplant and post for at least a period of time. So I wouldn't worry about it disqualifying you for anything.

Best of Luck
Lindsey

coltsfan715

Depression is common both before and after by my understanding - especially after. Just because you suffer from depression doesn't mean that you are "not list-able". I know for my evaluation I had to meet with a psychiatrist and they tried to get me to take some anti anxiety medication I took it for a day and then refused to take it after that because of how it made me feel. I remember the woman telling me she thought I was depressed, I just looked at her and said I think I have a right to be ... I'm dying. She just stopped after that and said okay.

I did okay post transplant until about 1 year post transplant and I had to revisit the psych and take antidepressants for a short period of time until I could cope with the feelings and things I was having (most of which had absolutely nothing to do with my transplant). I think the meds do make mental health issues more common along with the health trials that we experience leading up to the transplant.

I think mostly what they look for is stability - by that I mean if you are at risk for wanting to hurt yourself or jeopardize your health by not taking meds and so on. The majority of transplantees I know at my center were on antidepressants or anti anxiety meds pre transplant and post for at least a period of time. So I wouldn't worry about it disqualifying you for anything.

Best of Luck
Lindsey

coltsfan715

Best of Luck
Lindsey

coltsfan715

Best of Luck
Lindsey

coltsfan715

<br />
<br />I did okay post transplant until about 1 year post transplant and I had to revisit the psych and take antidepressants for a short period of time until I could cope with the feelings and things I was having (most of which had absolutely nothing to do with my transplant). I think the meds do make mental health issues more common along with the health trials that we experience leading up to the transplant.
<br />
<br />I think mostly what they look for is stability - by that I mean if you are at risk for wanting to hurt yourself or jeopardize your health by not taking meds and so on. The majority of transplantees I know at my center were on antidepressants or anti anxiety meds pre transplant and post for at least a period of time. So I wouldn't worry about it disqualifying you for anything.
<br />
<br />Best of Luck
<br />Lindsey

Lex

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>coltsfan715</b></i>

...and said I think I have a right to be ... I'm dying.

</end quote></div>

That quote is perfect.

I think depression pre TX is more environmental than chemical. That is, the prospect of dying can make anyone depressed. I was severely depressed when my wife was pregnant because I was scared of dying before my son would know me. I was stuck in a huge rut. My salvation came from within since the source of my depression was entirely self inflicted.

Post TX it is more probable to be chemical since some of the drugs can cause anxiety, depression, hallucinations, delusions, etc. I had a few bouts of anxiety, which is due to the drugs and a little because I freaked out at the thought of having someone else's lungs in me -- that freak out only lasted a few minutes. So...who knows.

Obviously there are going to be the few who have a real case of depression and CF. For them, they need professional help and meds.

I would only take anti-depression pills if the source is chemical. For me, I knew I could snap myself out of it.

Lex

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>coltsfan715</b></i>

</end quote></div>

That quote is perfect.

I think depression pre TX is more environmental than chemical. That is, the prospect of dying can make anyone depressed. I was severely depressed when my wife was pregnant because I was scared of dying before my son would know me. I was stuck in a huge rut. My salvation came from within since the source of my depression was entirely self inflicted.

Post TX it is more probable to be chemical since some of the drugs can cause anxiety, depression, hallucinations, delusions, etc. I had a few bouts of anxiety, which is due to the drugs and a little because I freaked out at the thought of having someone else's lungs in me -- that freak out only lasted a few minutes. So...who knows.

Obviously there are going to be the few who have a real case of depression and CF. For them, they need professional help and meds.

I would only take anti-depression pills if the source is chemical. For me, I knew I could snap myself out of it.

Lex

</end quote></div>

That quote is perfect.

Lex

</end quote>

That quote is perfect.

Lex

<br />
<br /> ...and said I think I have a right to be ... I'm dying.
<br />
<br />
<br /></end quote>
<br />
<br />That quote is perfect.
<br />
<br />I think depression pre TX is more environmental than chemical. That is, the prospect of dying can make anyone depressed. I was severely depressed when my wife was pregnant because I was scared of dying before my son would know me. I was stuck in a huge rut. My salvation came from within since the source of my depression was entirely self inflicted.
<br />
<br />Post TX it is more probable to be chemical since some of the drugs can cause anxiety, depression, hallucinations, delusions, etc. I had a few bouts of anxiety, which is due to the drugs and a little because I freaked out at the thought of having someone else's lungs in me -- that freak out only lasted a few minutes. So...who knows.
<br />
<br />Obviously there are going to be the few who have a real case of depression and CF. For them, they need professional help and meds.
<br />
<br />I would only take anti-depression pills if the source is chemical. For me, I knew I could snap myself out of it.

coltsfan715

I completely agree Lex. I had a bit of a down time pre transplant,but honestly once I was listed and I saw that there was hope for my situation changing in a way that did NOT involve me dying I began to turn things around.

Post transplant for me my depression was more situational as well but it got to the extreme where I could not even begin to cope with my life. I had about 8-9 family and friend pass away in the 10 months immediately post transplant and when the first anniversary of my first friend passing rolled around I started getting down, within a few months I was unbearable. I took an antidepressant for about 6 months to help me control my moods so I could cope effectively and then I stepped down slowly off the meds and have been good since that time.

There are a LOT of patients at my center that have depression issues post transplant due to meds and also due to the whole "someone dying so I could live" thing. I was fortunate and I never had that issue. I just felt okay my lungs can't be with their original owner so I have been entrusted with them and it is my job to take care of them.

Lindsey

coltsfan715

I completely agree Lex. I had a bit of a down time pre transplant,but honestly once I was listed and I saw that there was hope for my situation changing in a way that did NOT involve me dying I began to turn things around.

Post transplant for me my depression was more situational as well but it got to the extreme where I could not even begin to cope with my life. I had about 8-9 family and friend pass away in the 10 months immediately post transplant and when the first anniversary of my first friend passing rolled around I started getting down, within a few months I was unbearable. I took an antidepressant for about 6 months to help me control my moods so I could cope effectively and then I stepped down slowly off the meds and have been good since that time.

There are a LOT of patients at my center that have depression issues post transplant due to meds and also due to the whole "someone dying so I could live" thing. I was fortunate and I never had that issue. I just felt okay my lungs can't be with their original owner so I have been entrusted with them and it is my job to take care of them.

Lindsey

coltsfan715

Lindsey

coltsfan715

Lindsey

coltsfan715

<br />
<br />Post transplant for me my depression was more situational as well but it got to the extreme where I could not even begin to cope with my life. I had about 8-9 family and friend pass away in the 10 months immediately post transplant and when the first anniversary of my first friend passing rolled around I started getting down, within a few months I was unbearable. I took an antidepressant for about 6 months to help me control my moods so I could cope effectively and then I stepped down slowly off the meds and have been good since that time.
<br />
<br />There are a LOT of patients at my center that have depression issues post transplant due to meds and also due to the whole "someone dying so I could live" thing. I was fortunate and I never had that issue. I just felt okay my lungs can't be with their original owner so I have been entrusted with them and it is my job to take care of them.
<br />
<br />Lindsey