DF508 and 3359delC Mutation

Dori

My genetic counselor told me these are the specific mutations. Does this have any determination on how sick my baby is going to be?

Since she is the Princess of Doom, she made sure to tell me that these are the "bad" mutations.

Anyone else have these or know of anyone who does?

Dori

My genetic counselor told me these are the specific mutations. Does this have any determination on how sick my baby is going to be?

Since she is the Princess of Doom, she made sure to tell me that these are the "bad" mutations.

Dori

Dori

Dori

<br />
<br />Since she is the Princess of Doom, she made sure to tell me that these are the "bad" mutations.
<br />
<br />Anyone else have these or know of anyone who does?

H

hopesiris

Lots of us have one or two copies of DF508, it's very common. I don't know anything about the other, you may want to go to the families section and ask Ambry for more information. Genetics is only a part of the story though, so there is no way to know how the disease will present/progress.

I'm sorry that your little one has CF.

Bonnie

H

hopesiris

Lots of us have one or two copies of DF508, it's very common. I don't know anything about the other, you may want to go to the families section and ask Ambry for more information. Genetics is only a part of the story though, so there is no way to know how the disease will present/progress.

Bonnie

H

hopesiris

Bonnie

H

hopesiris

Bonnie

H

hopesiris

<br />
<br />I'm sorry that your little one has CF.
<br />
<br />Bonnie

K

Keepercjr

I totally agree w/ Bonnie - a person's specific mutations are only part of the story. My brother and I have/had DF508 and M1101R - my brother was sick all his life and died when he was 13 (10 years ago this month!). And yet here I am, same mutations, a fully functional adult expecting my second baby! There are modifier genes, environmental interactions, nutrition and a host of other things that will affect the severity of a persons disease. Oh and I'm pancreatic sufficient and my brother was not. I really really hate that there are genetic counselors and doctors telling people that their mutations are good or bad (or mild or severe).

I too am sorry that your baby has CF. Are you currently pregnant?

K

Keepercjr

I totally agree w/ Bonnie - a person's specific mutations are only part of the story. My brother and I have/had DF508 and M1101R - my brother was sick all his life and died when he was 13 (10 years ago this month!). And yet here I am, same mutations, a fully functional adult expecting my second baby! There are modifier genes, environmental interactions, nutrition and a host of other things that will affect the severity of a persons disease. Oh and I'm pancreatic sufficient and my brother was not. I really really hate that there are genetic counselors and doctors telling people that their mutations are good or bad (or mild or severe).

K

Keepercjr

K

Keepercjr

K

Keepercjr

<br />
<br />I too am sorry that your baby has CF. Are you currently pregnant?

ashleydog

I agree with the last 2 posters, I can't stand when people say they can predict what the person's life is going to be based on mutations. My dr was a bit surprised when I found out I am homozygous deltaF508. He figured I must have some weird mutation to be so healthy. But no I have "the most common and worst" and here I am 33 mother to a healthy toddler

ashleydog

I agree with the last 2 posters, I can't stand when people say they can predict what the person's life is going to be based on mutations. My dr was a bit surprised when I found out I am homozygous deltaF508. He figured I must have some weird mutation to be so healthy. But no I have "the most common and worst" and here I am 33 mother to a healthy toddler

ashleydog

ashleydog

ashleydog