Diabetes or CFRD

Allisa35

Thanks everyone for your replies. I'm still not convinced that I am diabetic. Going back through my blood sugar sticks and my records from the dr.s office, I just don't think that I am. In my records he mentions that I am pre-diabetic on one date and on another he says I am glucose intolerant at the very least. But he also states that my blood sugar levels that I have taken here at home are excellent for the most part. I just don't know what he is seeing that makes him think that I need insulin. I'm not a confrontational person, so it is hard for me to disagree with him while he is telling me this. I go to the clinic in about a week, so I am going to bring it up again and see what my CF doc says. I know he is going to push for me to get an oral glucose test, so I may just do it to get them off my back.

Thanks again for all the info. It was informative!

Allisa35

Thanks everyone for your replies. I'm still not convinced that I am diabetic. Going back through my blood sugar sticks and my records from the dr.s office, I just don't think that I am. In my records he mentions that I am pre-diabetic on one date and on another he says I am glucose intolerant at the very least. But he also states that my blood sugar levels that I have taken here at home are excellent for the most part. I just don't know what he is seeing that makes him think that I need insulin. I'm not a confrontational person, so it is hard for me to disagree with him while he is telling me this. I go to the clinic in about a week, so I am going to bring it up again and see what my CF doc says. I know he is going to push for me to get an oral glucose test, so I may just do it to get them off my back.

Allisa35

Allisa35

shamrock

GTT is the sugar drink while fasting and then testing after right? Well if so, GTT isnt a 100% accurate way of testing for diabetes esp CFRD. Its probably the most effective one out there for most people at the moment, and is indeed better then random sticks at home, but think about it. They are testing you 1,2,3hours post sugar drink. What about during your typical day?

I passed a GTT fine. It came back borderline, but on the good side of boderline. Then I did three day testing with a monitor which tested my sugars 3000 times and guess what? Im a diabetic. I was highest after dinner in the evenings (typically my GTT test would have been done in hosp around midday). I was going high at about 3am too.

The three day testing is a pioneering test over here, so I'm guessing it isn't available in the states yet. But had I continued to pass GTTs I could have a year's worth of CFRD damage done by now.

shamrock

GTT is the sugar drink while fasting and then testing after right? Well if so, GTT isnt a 100% accurate way of testing for diabetes esp CFRD. Its probably the most effective one out there for most people at the moment, and is indeed better then random sticks at home, but think about it. They are testing you 1,2,3hours post sugar drink. What about during your typical day?

I passed a GTT fine. It came back borderline, but on the good side of boderline. Then I did three day testing with a monitor which tested my sugars 3000 times and guess what? Im a diabetic. I was highest after dinner in the evenings (typically my GTT test would have been done in hosp around midday). I was going high at about 3am too.

The three day testing is a pioneering test over here, so I'm guessing it isn't available in the states yet. But had I continued to pass GTTs I could have a year's worth of CFRD damage done by now.

shamrock

shamrock

shamrock

shamrock

shamrock

shamrock

shamrock

shamrock

shamrock

shamrock