Diagnosing CFRD

kmaried

Hey guys,

I know there has been a lot of CFRD talk lately, and I've been reading it all and really appreciate some of the links that people have posted.

I still have a lot of questions when it comes to this topic - but it seems like the medical profession doesn't have cfrd totally figured out yet either!

My endocrinologist hasn't given me a glucose tolerance test. He asked me to test my blood sugar in the morning and two hours after meals, and I have an A1C taken every couple of months. My blood sugar is fine in the morning but occassionally goes too high after meals depending on what/how much I eat. My A1C is around 6 ~ which the endo says is borderline. He says if I were 7 or 8 he would demand I take insulin. But since it's around 6, I have input. He says it might help me gain a few pounds to take insulin.

I of course want to keep my health as good as possible, but am hesitant to take on yet another 'task' when it comes to my health... I already have a number of complications.

I guess my question is - do you think it's normal that I haven't had a glucose tolerance test? It seems like everyone on here was 'diagnosed' with cfrd by that test.

Any advice would be great - I'm not sure what to do...

Thanks!,
Kris

kmaried

Hey guys,

I know there has been a lot of CFRD talk lately, and I've been reading it all and really appreciate some of the links that people have posted.

I still have a lot of questions when it comes to this topic - but it seems like the medical profession doesn't have cfrd totally figured out yet either!

My endocrinologist hasn't given me a glucose tolerance test. He asked me to test my blood sugar in the morning and two hours after meals, and I have an A1C taken every couple of months. My blood sugar is fine in the morning but occassionally goes too high after meals depending on what/how much I eat. My A1C is around 6 ~ which the endo says is borderline. He says if I were 7 or 8 he would demand I take insulin. But since it's around 6, I have input. He says it might help me gain a few pounds to take insulin.

I of course want to keep my health as good as possible, but am hesitant to take on yet another 'task' when it comes to my health... I already have a number of complications.

I guess my question is - do you think it's normal that I haven't had a glucose tolerance test? It seems like everyone on here was 'diagnosed' with cfrd by that test.

Thanks!,
Kris

kmaried

Hey guys,

Thanks!,
Kris

kmaried

Hey guys,

Thanks!,
Kris

kmaried

Hey guys,
<br />
<br />I know there has been a lot of CFRD talk lately, and I've been reading it all and really appreciate some of the links that people have posted.
<br />
<br />I still have a lot of questions when it comes to this topic - but it seems like the medical profession doesn't have cfrd totally figured out yet either!
<br />
<br />My endocrinologist hasn't given me a glucose tolerance test. He asked me to test my blood sugar in the morning and two hours after meals, and I have an A1C taken every couple of months. My blood sugar is fine in the morning but occassionally goes too high after meals depending on what/how much I eat. My A1C is around 6 ~ which the endo says is borderline. He says if I were 7 or 8 he would demand I take insulin. But since it's around 6, I have input. He says it might help me gain a few pounds to take insulin.
<br />
<br />I of course want to keep my health as good as possible, but am hesitant to take on yet another 'task' when it comes to my health... I already have a number of complications.
<br />
<br />I guess my question is - do you think it's normal that I haven't had a glucose tolerance test? It seems like everyone on here was 'diagnosed' with cfrd by that test.
<br />
<br />Any advice would be great - I'm not sure what to do...
<br />
<br />Thanks!,
<br />Kris

miesl

CFF guidelines state that all adult CF patients (might be >14 yrs) without CFRD should have a glucose tolerance test every year.

You should have one.

miesl

CFF guidelines state that all adult CF patients (might be >14 yrs) without CFRD should have a glucose tolerance test every year.

You should have one.

miesl

You should have one.

miesl

You should have one.

miesl

<br />
<br />You should have one.

kmaried

Okay - thanks!! I'll talk to my CF doc about this at my next clinic appt. He's the one that recommended that endocrinologist.

I know there is a lot of gray area with this issue - but I just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing for my lungs!!

Kris

kmaried

Okay - thanks!! I'll talk to my CF doc about this at my next clinic appt. He's the one that recommended that endocrinologist.

I know there is a lot of gray area with this issue - but I just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing for my lungs!!

Kris

kmaried

Kris

kmaried

Kris

kmaried

<br />
<br />I know there is a lot of gray area with this issue - but I just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing for my lungs!!
<br />
<br />Kris

kmaried

Hi Tina --

Yea, for my lungs. Honestly, the prognosis for women with diabetes is significantly less than for women without diabetes (median age is about 30 vs 37). (the difference between men with and without diabetes is much less) They think unmanaged diabetes actually contributes to more lung infections and lung damage... so my concern with my 'moderate' diabetes is really the long term effect on my lungs... Otherwise, I'd just enjoy not having to worry about insulin for a while!!

Kris

kmaried

Hi Tina --

Yea, for my lungs. Honestly, the prognosis for women with diabetes is significantly less than for women without diabetes (median age is about 30 vs 37). (the difference between men with and without diabetes is much less) They think unmanaged diabetes actually contributes to more lung infections and lung damage... so my concern with my 'moderate' diabetes is really the long term effect on my lungs... Otherwise, I'd just enjoy not having to worry about insulin for a while!!

Kris

kmaried

Hi Tina --

Kris

kmaried

Hi Tina --

Kris

kmaried

Hi Tina --
<br />
<br />Yea, for my lungs. Honestly, the prognosis for women with diabetes is significantly less than for women without diabetes (median age is about 30 vs 37). (the difference between men with and without diabetes is much less) They think unmanaged diabetes actually contributes to more lung infections and lung damage... so my concern with my 'moderate' diabetes is really the long term effect on my lungs... Otherwise, I'd just enjoy not having to worry about insulin for a while!!
<br />
<br />Kris