Disability benefits - How much do you receive?

rmotion

In researching SSDI and the requirements of such I was looking to see about how many years one needs to work to receive enough credits and figure out what the monthly benefit amount on average is.
I know the parameters of the low end and high end.
It seems that on the low end the benefit amount is $500 per month, on the High end it is $3000 per month.
Question:
1. For those on SSDI what is your monthly amount?
2. How many years did you work?
3. How old are you and how many credits did you have?

rmotion

In researching SSDI and the requirements of such I was looking to see about how many years one needs to work to receive enough credits and figure out what the monthly benefit amount on average is.
I know the parameters of the low end and high end.
It seems that on the low end the benefit amount is $500 per month, on the High end it is $3000 per month.
Question:
1. For those on SSDI what is your monthly amount?
2. How many years did you work?
3. How old are you and how many credits did you have?

lilmac1177

<span style="font-family: tahoma, arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: small; color: #3366ff;">i am, and have been, receiving SSDI after a few years of SSI and gaining enuff work credits that it kicked me into SSDI (i didn't even know there was difference until it happened).
<span style="color: #3366ff; font-family: tahoma, arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: small;">my monthly amount is $885
<span style="color: #3366ff; font-family: tahoma, arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: small;">i've been working since 1997 (first full-time for several years then part-time w/ anywhere from 32 hours down to now 8-16 hours per week) with small breaks during exacerbations or especially difficult CF times
<span style="color: #3366ff; font-family: tahoma, arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: small;">i am now 34 years old and i believe i had 22-24 work credits when it kicked me into SSDI (that was about 2000-2002)

lilmac1177

<span style="font-family: tahoma, arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: small; color: #3366ff;">i am, and have been, receiving SSDI after a few years of SSI and gaining enuff work credits that it kicked me into SSDI (i didn't even know there was difference until it happened).
<span style="color: #3366ff; font-family: tahoma, arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: small;">my monthly amount is $885
<span style="color: #3366ff; font-family: tahoma, arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: small;">i've been working since 1997 (first full-time for several years then part-time w/ anywhere from 32 hours down to now 8-16 hours per week) with small breaks during exacerbations or especially difficult CF times
<span style="color: #3366ff; font-family: tahoma, arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: small;">i am now 34 years old and i believe i had 22-24 work credits when it kicked me into SSDI (that was about 2000-2002)

Incomudrox

Luckily I had enough working credits and held moderately decent jobs for my age at the time from when I was network administrator and then manager at Sears Autocenter. So my SSDI amount is enough to get me by. I get $1027/mo.

Incomudrox

Luckily I had enough working credits and held moderately decent jobs for my age at the time from when I was network administrator and then manager at Sears Autocenter. So my SSDI amount is enough to get me by. I get $1027/mo.

rmotion

Ok thahks.
It seems if you have enough credits (roughly $1100 of salary per credit) so about 4 credits per year is all they apply anything over that is not needed. So basically if you have at least $4400 in income per year to qualify. Does that sound right.
So if you were making $30k per year you get the same amount if you make $5k per year.
Any ideas?

rmotion

Ok thahks.
It seems if you have enough credits (roughly $1100 of salary per credit) so about 4 credits per year is all they apply anything over that is not needed. So basically if you have at least $4400 in income per year to qualify. Does that sound right.
So if you were making $30k per year you get the same amount if you make $5k per year.
Any ideas?

rmotion

Thanks for answering.
SSDI pays more than SSI right. Can you get both?
How much were you making per year? (not to be personal but this system of the SS office makes it so complicated.
It seems if someone makes $10k per year gets the same benefits of someone making $30k per year. I think they max out your yearly credits at 4 (about $4500 of income per year).
I think as CF'rs we dont take all this into consideration and if we work or not we should use SSDI as part of a financial management tool. Yeah should of thought about that 15 years ago. I think we are afraid to give in, i know I was.

rmotion

Thanks for answering.
SSDI pays more than SSI right. Can you get both?
How much were you making per year? (not to be personal but this system of the SS office makes it so complicated.
It seems if someone makes $10k per year gets the same benefits of someone making $30k per year. I think they max out your yearly credits at 4 (about $4500 of income per year).
I think as CF'rs we dont take all this into consideration and if we work or not we should use SSDI as part of a financial management tool. Yeah should of thought about that 15 years ago. I think we are afraid to give in, i know I was.

Incomudrox

Well it's going to depend on your age. The older you are the more credits you need, but the more years they go back. For every $4xxx a year you make you get 4 credits. You can get 8 credits a year IIRC. If you made a significant amount more than someone who made the minimum you will get more. I do not know how they calculate it. If you want to know its AS SIMPLE as CALLING them and saying "I want to find out if I qualify for SSDI" "If I do would you be able to tell me the estimated amount I will get?" they will be able to tell you this in about 2-3 minutes. It takes out all of the guess work. They told me I would get $990/mo when I called. (before the increase) after the increase on $990 it comes to the exact amount I get now so they were dead on accurate. From 16-19.5 y/o I made around 50k a year (however 2 of the years were 1099/cash) the last 1.5 years at that job went towards my credits. From 19.5 to 21.8 y/o. I made sure to stay under the 24k limit in PA to get medicaid. Which is also the same reason I got cash and 1099s at the first job so i could change my AGI and still make the cut with the income adjustment. Hope this helps.

Incomudrox

Well it's going to depend on your age. The older you are the more credits you need, but the more years they go back. For every $4xxx a year you make you get 4 credits. You can get 8 credits a year IIRC. If you made a significant amount more than someone who made the minimum you will get more. I do not know how they calculate it. If you want to know its AS SIMPLE as CALLING them and saying "I want to find out if I qualify for SSDI" "If I do would you be able to tell me the estimated amount I will get?" they will be able to tell you this in about 2-3 minutes. It takes out all of the guess work. They told me I would get $990/mo when I called. (before the increase) after the increase on $990 it comes to the exact amount I get now so they were dead on accurate. From 16-19.5 y/o I made around 50k a year (however 2 of the years were 1099/cash) the last 1.5 years at that job went towards my credits. From 19.5 to 21.8 y/o. I made sure to stay under the 24k limit in PA to get medicaid. Which is also the same reason I got cash and 1099s at the first job so i could change my AGI and still make the cut with the income adjustment. Hope this helps.

semnle34

I am in the process of filing for disability. Does anyone have any tips or recommendations??? I have been working as a Police Officer for the past 8 years and can no longer meet the physical qualifications nor can I maintain my daily routine with the demands. I am going out on a medical leave of absence while I try and file for the SSDI. I have been working and contributing to SSI for 15 years now between all of my jobs. I am nervous to make the decision especially going from making decent money to no income at all. No one can ever give a definitive answer as to how much money I would be allocated. It seems like its a crap shoot what you'll end up with. Unfortunately {but fortunately} my lung function is still decent but the chronic infections and hospitalizations have taken a toll on me and my ability to work efficiently. Help please???????

Kristen- 29 yr old DF508, 3 yr old daughter {Jayden, non-CF} NTMB

semnle34

I am in the process of filing for disability. Does anyone have any tips or recommendations??? I have been working as a Police Officer for the past 8 years and can no longer meet the physical qualifications nor can I maintain my daily routine with the demands. I am going out on a medical leave of absence while I try and file for the SSDI. I have been working and contributing to SSI for 15 years now between all of my jobs. I am nervous to make the decision especially going from making decent money to no income at all. No one can ever give a definitive answer as to how much money I would be allocated. It seems like its a crap shoot what you'll end up with. Unfortunately {but fortunately} my lung function is still decent but the chronic infections and hospitalizations have taken a toll on me and my ability to work efficiently. Help please???????

Kristen- 29 yr old DF508, 3 yr old daughter {Jayden, non-CF} NTMB

scanboyd

My SSDI was easy for me, the last day of my employment, actually called while still at work; I called SS and informed them that I wanted to file for SSDI. They ask me what was my last day to work and I said today. All info and interview was done over the phone, never saw SS person. They sent forms for me and Dr. to fill out, was approved within 4 wks. after sending forms in. The main thing they looked at with me is my FEV1 and the fact that I was using neb. antibiotic, Tobi. The need for me to take more and better care of my CF. So I swaped jobs, now doing neb. rx. for 5 or more hrs. a day plus exercise program. Being retired has been good for me 8yrs. now and counting.
Good luck to you Kristen!!

scanboyd

My SSDI was easy for me, the last day of my employment, actually called while still at work; I called SS and informed them that I wanted to file for SSDI. They ask me what was my last day to work and I said today. All info and interview was done over the phone, never saw SS person. They sent forms for me and Dr. to fill out, was approved within 4 wks. after sending forms in. The main thing they looked at with me is my FEV1 and the fact that I was using neb. antibiotic, Tobi. The need for me to take more and better care of my CF. So I swaped jobs, now doing neb. rx. for 5 or more hrs. a day plus exercise program. Being retired has been good for me 8yrs. now and counting.
Good luck to you Kristen!!

semnle34

Scanboyd,

Thank you for responding. I just went out on my medical leave of absence. I have been working with my employer for over 10 years now and am extremely nervous with my impending financial status. I hope my process goes as smoothe as yours did. I am hoping that the SSDI will see that my regiment of daily meds will always take up the majority of my day and approve me. I am preparing for the worst and hoping for the best. Thank you for sharing your experience. I will keep everyone posted as my journey begins. Thanks again.

semnle34

Scanboyd,

Thank you for responding. I just went out on my medical leave of absence. I have been working with my employer for over 10 years now and am extremely nervous with my impending financial status. I hope my process goes as smoothe as yours did. I am hoping that the SSDI will see that my regiment of daily meds will always take up the majority of my day and approve me. I am preparing for the worst and hoping for the best. Thank you for sharing your experience. I will keep everyone posted as my journey begins. Thanks again.

ep1713

Hi Kristen,

If you have any issues getting approved I would contact Beth Suffian with the CF legal hotline. Her firm helped me get approved. I also wanted to let you know that since you have a child, after you get approved, you need to call and file for him. He will receive up to half of the benefits you get per month to go towards his expenses. I hope it's an easy process for you!

ep1713

Hi Kristen,

If you have any issues getting approved I would contact Beth Suffian with the CF legal hotline. Her firm helped me get approved. I also wanted to let you know that since you have a child, after you get approved, you need to call and file for him. He will receive up to half of the benefits you get per month to go towards his expenses. I hope it's an easy process for you!