Discipline and the CF child

JennifersHope

GOsh I feel so sorry for you, just another aspect of CF that you have to deal with.. Again I don't have children but before I became a nurse I was a daycare director for many years.

3 year olds in general are just tough little cookies, learning boundries and socialization. They tend to test boundries as much as possible.. and as they get older it will get better....so hang in there..

I totally understand you having to choose your battles and I agree... I also agree with the others...dont' ever let CF be told to her as an reason for behavior that is not acceptable.. it will get so much worse.....I would hate for her brothers to feel guilty for not having CF also.

Maybe some family therapy so the boys can have free range to talk about things they are feeling as well.because what child isn't going to be resentful that the same rules don't apply.....

I hate to say it but sometimes being tougher on the CFer is the way to go because as adults the world is tougher on us and we need to be prepared to deal with it..life is not fair and she needs to learn that she needs to do her treatments because that is what is best for her..no special favors..

I think the healthiest thing is for her to see that she is not any different other then she has this to deal with in life, other ppl have other things... Honestly that will help her to become a well adjusted adult that doesn't feel like the world owes her anything..because I know a few adults with CF who think they are owed and they are having a rough go at it..

Most important to keep in mind is she is 3 though and it is normal behavior that just needs to be nipped in the bud...

Good luck and I am sorry you have more stuff to deal with...

Jennifer

JennifersHope

GOsh I feel so sorry for you, just another aspect of CF that you have to deal with.. Again I don't have children but before I became a nurse I was a daycare director for many years.

3 year olds in general are just tough little cookies, learning boundries and socialization. They tend to test boundries as much as possible.. and as they get older it will get better....so hang in there..

I totally understand you having to choose your battles and I agree... I also agree with the others...dont' ever let CF be told to her as an reason for behavior that is not acceptable.. it will get so much worse.....I would hate for her brothers to feel guilty for not having CF also.

Maybe some family therapy so the boys can have free range to talk about things they are feeling as well.because what child isn't going to be resentful that the same rules don't apply.....

I hate to say it but sometimes being tougher on the CFer is the way to go because as adults the world is tougher on us and we need to be prepared to deal with it..life is not fair and she needs to learn that she needs to do her treatments because that is what is best for her..no special favors..

I think the healthiest thing is for her to see that she is not any different other then she has this to deal with in life, other ppl have other things... Honestly that will help her to become a well adjusted adult that doesn't feel like the world owes her anything..because I know a few adults with CF who think they are owed and they are having a rough go at it..

Most important to keep in mind is she is 3 though and it is normal behavior that just needs to be nipped in the bud...

Jennifer

JennifersHope

Jennifer

JennifersHope

Jennifer

JennifersHope

<br />
<br />3 year olds in general are just tough little cookies, learning boundries and socialization. They tend to test boundries as much as possible.. and as they get older it will get better....so hang in there..
<br />
<br />I totally understand you having to choose your battles and I agree... I also agree with the others...dont' ever let CF be told to her as an reason for behavior that is not acceptable.. it will get so much worse.....I would hate for her brothers to feel guilty for not having CF also.
<br />
<br />Maybe some family therapy so the boys can have free range to talk about things they are feeling as well.because what child isn't going to be resentful that the same rules don't apply.....
<br />
<br />I hate to say it but sometimes being tougher on the CFer is the way to go because as adults the world is tougher on us and we need to be prepared to deal with it..life is not fair and she needs to learn that she needs to do her treatments because that is what is best for her..no special favors..
<br />
<br />I think the healthiest thing is for her to see that she is not any different other then she has this to deal with in life, other ppl have other things... Honestly that will help her to become a well adjusted adult that doesn't feel like the world owes her anything..because I know a few adults with CF who think they are owed and they are having a rough go at it..
<br />
<br />Most important to keep in mind is she is 3 though and it is normal behavior that just needs to be nipped in the bud...
<br />
<br />Good luck and I am sorry you have more stuff to deal with...
<br />
<br />Jennifer

ReneeP

I have 5 kids... 3 boys without CF and 2 girls with CF. My CF'ers are 14 & 10.

I remember before I ever had kids there was a woman at the church I went to who had a daughter who was severely brain damaged due to lack of oxygen before birth. She couldn't talk, walk, eat on her own... nothing. She could make noise, but not use actual language. But she seemed to understand what other people were saying. She would laugh and cry at appropriate times so she had the ability to feel and show emotions.

Anyhow, I happened to be in the back of the church one night during the service and she came back there with her daughter (I believe the daughter was about 12 at the time)... She proceeded to tell her daughter very sternly that she had better be quiet during the service. She did this a couple of times and then finally she picked up the child out of the wheel chair and swatted her on the bottom with her hand. (the girl wore diapers so she was in no way hurt but she understood that she was in trouble.)

I remember being totally dumbfounded that she would do that to such a helpless child. Apparently the mom realized what I was thinking because she sat beside me for a while and proceeded to explain her feelings to me. She said that when she realized that her daughter would be so severely handicapped she was obviously horrified. She said that she would never discipline the child because of her health problems... Then she said that one of her doctors told her "What kind of life are you going to give her if you turn her into a child no one can stand to be around?"

When my daughter was diagnosed with CF she was 2 1/2 and I remember very clearly thinking "I will never again be able to discipline her"... that thought didn't last long with a 2 1/2 year old... :) I remembered what that mom had said to me years before and I knew that it was my responsibility to teach her exactly the same things I would teach my other kids... I would not be doing her any favors if I didn't.

I know you don't want to be told to treat your kids all the same so I won't say it... however, if you don't, you have to be prepared for the consequences of that decision. Not just from the CF child, but even more so from the siblings. They will very likely grow to resent not just their sister, but their parents as well. CF is a medical condition that needs to be addressed, no doubt about it. But CF is not an excuse to get whatever you want out of life... And ultimately the CF'er is the one who will be hurt the most if he/she is used to getting her way all the time and then goes out into the real world and realizes it is not like that. He/she will not have the coping skills to deal with real life.

Another thing someone said to me one time (a parent of another CF'er) was "What if I spent all my time focusing on my CF child and then my other child was killed in an accident... How would I feel then"...

These are just things that help me stop and think reasonably when my emotions try to take over. I understand that you are in a very difficult position. I have been there, twice in fact. As parents we have to take ourselves out of the "emotion of the moment" and think of the long term effects on our whole family.

ReneeP

I remember before I ever had kids there was a woman at the church I went to who had a daughter who was severely brain damaged due to lack of oxygen before birth. She couldn't talk, walk, eat on her own... nothing. She could make noise, but not use actual language. But she seemed to understand what other people were saying. She would laugh and cry at appropriate times so she had the ability to feel and show emotions.

Anyhow, I happened to be in the back of the church one night during the service and she came back there with her daughter (I believe the daughter was about 12 at the time)... She proceeded to tell her daughter very sternly that she had better be quiet during the service. She did this a couple of times and then finally she picked up the child out of the wheel chair and swatted her on the bottom with her hand. (the girl wore diapers so she was in no way hurt but she understood that she was in trouble.)

I remember being totally dumbfounded that she would do that to such a helpless child. Apparently the mom realized what I was thinking because she sat beside me for a while and proceeded to explain her feelings to me. She said that when she realized that her daughter would be so severely handicapped she was obviously horrified. She said that she would never discipline the child because of her health problems... Then she said that one of her doctors told her "What kind of life are you going to give her if you turn her into a child no one can stand to be around?"

When my daughter was diagnosed with CF she was 2 1/2 and I remember very clearly thinking "I will never again be able to discipline her"... that thought didn't last long with a 2 1/2 year old... :) I remembered what that mom had said to me years before and I knew that it was my responsibility to teach her exactly the same things I would teach my other kids... I would not be doing her any favors if I didn't.

I know you don't want to be told to treat your kids all the same so I won't say it... however, if you don't, you have to be prepared for the consequences of that decision. Not just from the CF child, but even more so from the siblings. They will very likely grow to resent not just their sister, but their parents as well. CF is a medical condition that needs to be addressed, no doubt about it. But CF is not an excuse to get whatever you want out of life... And ultimately the CF'er is the one who will be hurt the most if he/she is used to getting her way all the time and then goes out into the real world and realizes it is not like that. He/she will not have the coping skills to deal with real life.

Another thing someone said to me one time (a parent of another CF'er) was "What if I spent all my time focusing on my CF child and then my other child was killed in an accident... How would I feel then"...

These are just things that help me stop and think reasonably when my emotions try to take over. I understand that you are in a very difficult position. I have been there, twice in fact. As parents we have to take ourselves out of the "emotion of the moment" and think of the long term effects on our whole family.

ReneeP

ReneeP

ReneeP

<br />
<br />I remember before I ever had kids there was a woman at the church I went to who had a daughter who was severely brain damaged due to lack of oxygen before birth. She couldn't talk, walk, eat on her own... nothing. She could make noise, but not use actual language. But she seemed to understand what other people were saying. She would laugh and cry at appropriate times so she had the ability to feel and show emotions.
<br />
<br />Anyhow, I happened to be in the back of the church one night during the service and she came back there with her daughter (I believe the daughter was about 12 at the time)... She proceeded to tell her daughter very sternly that she had better be quiet during the service. She did this a couple of times and then finally she picked up the child out of the wheel chair and swatted her on the bottom with her hand. (the girl wore diapers so she was in no way hurt but she understood that she was in trouble.)
<br />
<br />I remember being totally dumbfounded that she would do that to such a helpless child. Apparently the mom realized what I was thinking because she sat beside me for a while and proceeded to explain her feelings to me. She said that when she realized that her daughter would be so severely handicapped she was obviously horrified. She said that she would never discipline the child because of her health problems... Then she said that one of her doctors told her "What kind of life are you going to give her if you turn her into a child no one can stand to be around?"
<br />
<br />When my daughter was diagnosed with CF she was 2 1/2 and I remember very clearly thinking "I will never again be able to discipline her"... that thought didn't last long with a 2 1/2 year old... :) I remembered what that mom had said to me years before and I knew that it was my responsibility to teach her exactly the same things I would teach my other kids... I would not be doing her any favors if I didn't.
<br />
<br />I know you don't want to be told to treat your kids all the same so I won't say it... however, if you don't, you have to be prepared for the consequences of that decision. Not just from the CF child, but even more so from the siblings. They will very likely grow to resent not just their sister, but their parents as well. CF is a medical condition that needs to be addressed, no doubt about it. But CF is not an excuse to get whatever you want out of life... And ultimately the CF'er is the one who will be hurt the most if he/she is used to getting her way all the time and then goes out into the real world and realizes it is not like that. He/she will not have the coping skills to deal with real life.
<br />
<br />Another thing someone said to me one time (a parent of another CF'er) was "What if I spent all my time focusing on my CF child and then my other child was killed in an accident... How would I feel then"...
<br />
<br />These are just things that help me stop and think reasonably when my emotions try to take over. I understand that you are in a very difficult position. I have been there, twice in fact. As parents we have to take ourselves out of the "emotion of the moment" and think of the long term effects on our whole family.

Z

zeeannie

I agree with Ronnie on the food part. You're not a short order cook, you're a mom cooking for your family not individuals. I've dealt with this food issue and know that if you start something it'll stick and invite more in that direction. So you control the direction. She eats what everyone else does, and you add lot's of calories using cheese, butter powders, etc., whatever works. If she doesn't eat it, she'll definitely be hungry by the next snack or meal time and gobble whatever you giver her! It might take a while, but in the long run it'll save you from a lot of battles. Food is definitely an area where kids can try to take control and push your buttons. Just be matter of fact about it.

Z

zeeannie

I agree with Ronnie on the food part. You're not a short order cook, you're a mom cooking for your family not individuals. I've dealt with this food issue and know that if you start something it'll stick and invite more in that direction. So you control the direction. She eats what everyone else does, and you add lot's of calories using cheese, butter powders, etc., whatever works. If she doesn't eat it, she'll definitely be hungry by the next snack or meal time and gobble whatever you giver her! It might take a while, but in the long run it'll save you from a lot of battles. Food is definitely an area where kids can try to take control and push your buttons. Just be matter of fact about it.

Z

zeeannie

Z

zeeannie

Z

zeeannie

ChristiansMommy

i too understand where you are coming from. in the beginning it was hard for nicholas to understand why christian gets special food, etc., but he has figured out that his brother needs certain things to stay healthy. as for physio time, christian too, has to watch "kid shows" (as he calls it). there are times we put a movie on that they both like, or if that doesn't work, i do physio, and nicholas and dad read a special book or play a game. nicholas has become very caring and compassionate for his little brother and if the boys are outside playing with their friends, nicholas is the first one there, thumping his brother's back and telling their friends that christian has cf and that is why he's coughing. as for discipline, they both are treated exactly the same way, no special treatment. the only time i feel super horrible is when christian either has to go to toronto for checkups or ends up in the hospital, that is when nicholas pretty much gets shipped off to my parents house and we don't get to spend time with him. i feel in this aspect, nicholas gets ripped off because his brother is getting more attention. we try to have a happy balance, and that's all we can do.

ChristiansMommy

i too understand where you are coming from. in the beginning it was hard for nicholas to understand why christian gets special food, etc., but he has figured out that his brother needs certain things to stay healthy. as for physio time, christian too, has to watch "kid shows" (as he calls it). there are times we put a movie on that they both like, or if that doesn't work, i do physio, and nicholas and dad read a special book or play a game. nicholas has become very caring and compassionate for his little brother and if the boys are outside playing with their friends, nicholas is the first one there, thumping his brother's back and telling their friends that christian has cf and that is why he's coughing. as for discipline, they both are treated exactly the same way, no special treatment. the only time i feel super horrible is when christian either has to go to toronto for checkups or ends up in the hospital, that is when nicholas pretty much gets shipped off to my parents house and we don't get to spend time with him. i feel in this aspect, nicholas gets ripped off because his brother is getting more attention. we try to have a happy balance, and that's all we can do.

ChristiansMommy

ChristiansMommy

ChristiansMommy