Distance to Center

nu65

I'm going to see my Tx drs on weds but I was curious if anyone knew if it mattered how far you are from the hospital if you get a call or not. Like, will they purposely skip over me if suitable lungs are found just because I'm 2 hrs away? We're already considering moving close to my center because of my constant infections and it would be nice to already be settled in somewhere when I get the call. I'm pretty high on the list (LAS 41) but have had no dry runs, and I'm wondering if part of that may be because of the distance. Wondering if someone less sick would get lungs because they are closer. If so, scary!

nu65

I'm going to see my Tx drs on weds but I was curious if anyone knew if it mattered how far you are from the hospital if you get a call or not. Like, will they purposely skip over me if suitable lungs are found just because I'm 2 hrs away? We're already considering moving close to my center because of my constant infections and it would be nice to already be settled in somewhere when I get the call. I'm pretty high on the list (LAS 41) but have had no dry runs, and I'm wondering if part of that may be because of the distance. Wondering if someone less sick would get lungs because they are closer. If so, scary!

nu65

nu65

nu65

jtbyers45

Hi Jessica,

With my center you have to be there within 3 hours of the call. I am an hour and half away. If someone was close to being 3 hours away or farther than they need to have a plan on how to get there within the time(i.e. private jet or move closer). A person would not even be listed until that plan was in place. I would really hate to think that they would bypass you for that reason without calling you first to see how far you are, especially of where you are on the list. Good question to ask your clinic for peace of mind. I hope all goes smoothly when the call comes.

jtbyers45

Hi Jessica,

With my center you have to be there within 3 hours of the call. I am an hour and half away. If someone was close to being 3 hours away or farther than they need to have a plan on how to get there within the time(i.e. private jet or move closer). A person would not even be listed until that plan was in place. I would really hate to think that they would bypass you for that reason without calling you first to see how far you are, especially of where you are on the list. Good question to ask your clinic for peace of mind. I hope all goes smoothly when the call comes.

jtbyers45

Hi Jessica,

jtbyers45

Hi Jessica,

jtbyers45

Hi Jessica,
<br />
<br />With my center you have to be there within 3 hours of the call. I am an hour and half away. If someone was close to being 3 hours away or farther than they need to have a plan on how to get there within the time(i.e. private jet or move closer). A person would not even be listed until that plan was in place. I would really hate to think that they would bypass you for that reason without calling you first to see how far you are, especially of where you are on the list. Good question to ask your clinic for peace of mind. I hope all goes smoothly when the call comes.

juliepie

your distance shouldn't effect if you are called or not. it is preferable to be closer, so that both donor and recipient can be evaluated that much faster, but it absolutely should not be a disqualifying factor to getting notified that there is a match. my center gives up to 4 hours to get there, but they encourage you to arrive as soon as possible. good luck waiting! i've been listed since february and i'm getting super frustrated that i've had one dry run and nothing else!

juliepie

your distance shouldn't effect if you are called or not. it is preferable to be closer, so that both donor and recipient can be evaluated that much faster, but it absolutely should not be a disqualifying factor to getting notified that there is a match. my center gives up to 4 hours to get there, but they encourage you to arrive as soon as possible. good luck waiting! i've been listed since february and i'm getting super frustrated that i've had one dry run and nothing else!

juliepie

juliepie

juliepie

NYCLawGirl

your center will give you an amount of time -- it tends to vary within a couple of hours. that said, there are certain calls that you won't get if you're further from the center, and they do consider distance in making the match. for example, i got a "rush call" (turned out to be a dry run) where another recipient was unable to take the lungs last minute. they needed a match who was very close to the hospital b/c of time concerns, so they wouldn't have been able to call someone 4 hours away (they were concerned even with the 30-45 mins it takes me to get to the hospital). so the answer is that yes, in certain circumstances time/distance to the ospital can be a factor.

NYCLawGirl

your center will give you an amount of time -- it tends to vary within a couple of hours. that said, there are certain calls that you won't get if you're further from the center, and they do consider distance in making the match. for example, i got a "rush call" (turned out to be a dry run) where another recipient was unable to take the lungs last minute. they needed a match who was very close to the hospital b/c of time concerns, so they wouldn't have been able to call someone 4 hours away (they were concerned even with the 30-45 mins it takes me to get to the hospital). so the answer is that yes, in certain circumstances time/distance to the ospital can be a factor.

NYCLawGirl

NYCLawGirl

NYCLawGirl