Do you share a room in the hospital?

JBUCCA

GOD, LISTENING TO ALL THAT, MAKES ME FEEL LIKE WE ARE THE COOTY PEOPLE... I HATE IT ! I KNOW ITS FOR THE BETTER BUT IT JUST SUCKS THAT WE HAVE TO STAY AWAY FROM EACH OTHER,,,, WHAT EXACTY IS CEPACIA , I THINK I HAVE PNUSAMONIS--- SORRY ABOUT THE SPELLING ALL THESE WEIRD BACTERIAS FREAK ME OUT, I TRY TO NOT THINK ABOUT IT AND JUST TAKE CARE OF MYSELF... YA KNOW

anonymous

Once I shared a room with a girl who kept asking me to empty her bed pan. It was filled with you know what. She kept throwing up too, and asking me to clean it up.
That was one of my worst hosp experiences.

Christian

anonymous

In our hospital, there are only to single bedrooms. The rest are 6 bedded. The last time I was in I shared with another girl with cf and 4 old ladies, our hospital is terrible (physically) really

Shamrock, x

littledebbie

I thought my hospital had gone high class when I finally got my own room. we only got them about 3 years ago, with our own bathrooms, and showers, I thought it was the ritz. we used to have one shower per floor!!!! I let myslef get pretty greasy before I would step foot in there. Refrigerators!?! You guys have refrigerators? Internet? Playstations!?! I've been duped, I'm taking my business elsewhere!

And I think we all try very hard to stay out of the hospital as we know they're germ cess pools (and not to mention not much freaking fun with all those needles and questionable food) but sometimes stuff happens as the saying goes.

jimhigginsCF

I was doing some research on this subject online and cut out out this paragraph:

B. cepacia complex has generated considerable anxiety amongst patients with CF and has changed the way in which CF care teams manage their B. cepacia infected patients. Median survival rates decline markedly to approximately 15-19 years with a history of B. cepacia complex infection. Hence, most units in the UK now segregate patients with this infection from all other CF patients. Nine genomovars or different types of the B. cepacia complex (BCC) or group of organisms have been described and early studies from some centres indicate that genomovar II has less clinical impact than genomovar III [10]. In the Liverpool Adult CF Centre 5 patients acquired a new and more virulent strain of B.cepacia complex. This was likely to be due to a genomovar III strain replacing B.multivorans. Presently B.cenocepacia followed by B. multivorans make up the majority of patients infected with BCC, however the other three genomovars i.e., B. cepacia genomovar I, B. stabilis and B. vietnamiensis are also present in the CF population. Some centres now segregate B. multivorans patients from other B. cepacia complex infected patients (eg Belfast and Vancouver) to reduce the potential of cross-infection between patients with B. cepacia.

The entire history page is quite facinating here:http://www.cysticfibrosismedicine.com/htmldocs/CFText/bcepacia.htm

anonymous

I have to go in for tune ups usually about once a year. I have always had a room of my own. Maybe that explains why it always takes so long for them to admit me from the ER, unless I go directly from my doctors office and then he always calls in all the details and my bed is ready when i get there. And I always have a private bathroom. All the nurses remember me and what i like dislike so they make it easier on me. My husband usually tries to stay some with me. I hate being away from my family, But when I get that bad Im usually ready for the rest (yeah right between bloodwork, breathing treatments, etc. who can rest). And then sometimes I end up with home IV for 5-7 days after the hospital stay.

anonymous

When I was little, I shared a room with a screaming baby on the peds ward. Since then, whenever I've been in the hospital, even for just the first 2-3 days before taking IV's home, I have had a private room. I would never allow them to put me with someone. But, I prefer home IVs anyway.