Do you stay home to do home ivs or go to work with ivs?

Jana

I'm a teacher, so it's difficult to miss work. I do IVs at school, and my students just get used to it. They're amazingly un-bothered by the whole thing, and I answer any questions they have about it.

Sometimes I have to stay home and get some extra rest for a day here and there while doing the IVs, though, and one time I finally had to just do half days for the whole course. I agree it's not worth it to push too hard.

Jana

I'm a teacher, so it's difficult to miss work. I do IVs at school, and my students just get used to it. They're amazingly un-bothered by the whole thing, and I answer any questions they have about it.
<br />
<br />Sometimes I have to stay home and get some extra rest for a day here and there while doing the IVs, though, and one time I finally had to just do half days for the whole course. I agree it's not worth it to push too hard.

paintfreak939

<P>I have done both.  Thier really is not alot to it depending on who you have takeing care of the medication disribuition.  You will get a few looks the first time or so then it becomes more of an education thing for you and others.  I have been doing this for many years. </P>
<P> </P>
<P>good luck and just realize you arnt alone on this.</P>
<P>paintfreak939</P>

paintfreak939

<P>I have done both. Thier really isnot alot to it depending on who you have takeing care of the medication disribuition. You will get a few looks the first time or so then itbecomes more of an education thing for you and others. I have been doing this for many years. </P>
<P></P>
<P>paintfreak939</P>

paintfreak939

<P><BR>I have done both. Thier really isnot alot to it depending on who you have takeing care of the medication disribuition. You will get a few looks the first time or so then itbecomes more of an education thing for you and others. I have been doing this for many years. </P>
<P></P>
<P>paintfreak939</P>

JustDucky

Kudos to those of you who work while on IV's...I don't know how you do it! I currently don't work, but I know that working would be out of the question. IV's suck the energy right out of me, probably is a combination of the meds and just being sick. I also find that IV antibiotics (especially Merrem) makes my anemia worse, it isn't uncommon for me to be in the low 8's as far as my hemoglobin goes, so that adds to the profound fatigue that I feel whenever I am on IV's. Most times I am in the hospital getting my IV's, sometimes (like now) I am able to do them home....wherever I am, I just feel like a blob and just sleep most of the time. My lung functions aren't great either and my O2 demands are higher, so laying low is always the best fit for me. I try to listen to my body, dirty dishes can wait until I feel rested enough to do them.

Jenn 39 w/CF

JustDucky

Kudos to those of you who work while on IV's...I don't know how you do it! I currently don't work, but I know that working would be out of the question. IV's suck the energy right out of me, probably is a combination of the meds and just being sick. I also find that IV antibiotics (especially Merrem) makes my anemia worse, it isn't uncommon for me to be in the low 8's as far as my hemoglobin goes, so that adds to the profound fatigue that I feel whenever I am on IV's. Most times I am in the hospital getting my IV's, sometimes (like now) I am able to do them home....wherever I am, I just feel like a blob and just sleep most of the time. My lung functions aren't great either and my O2 demands are higher, so laying low is always the best fit for me. I try to listen to my body, dirty dishes can wait until I feel rested enough to do them.

Jenn 39 w/CF

JustDucky

<br />
<br />Jenn 39 w/CF

I had to have a picc line earlier this year and was on one IV antibiotic for about 2 1/2 weeks. The only full day I missed was having my picc line put in. I worked M-F, 8-5 the rest of the time EXCEPT for Wednesdays when I left at lunch to go to the hospital to have my dressing changed. It was tough; I'm not sure I'd go that route again. But you do what you gotta do!

I had to have a picc line earlier this year and was on one IV antibiotic for about 2 1/2 weeks. The only full day I missed was having my picc line put in. I worked M-F, 8-5 the rest of the time EXCEPT for Wednesdays when I left at lunch to go to the hospital to have my dressing changed. It was tough; I'm not sure I'd go that route again. But you do what you gotta do!

L

lizlas

<P>i think of people going to work with or on Ivs and think how can they do that, they cant be that </P>
<P>sick if they can work while on IVs...but then i realize I used to do it too ....but never had to run them at work ...b/c they were usually once or twice a day.</P>
<P>but now I can barely doing anything on Ivs...just sleep and cough and cry and run Ivs ...</P>
<P>wondering how did i deteriorate so badly</P>
<P>and if you dont use a stat lock....you can change your own picc dressings too....i change my own whether they are in left or rite arm....</P>
<P>instead of statlock lock i use 3 steri strips ( special thin sterile tape)  to hold down the wings </P>
<P>and small opsite dressing....voila....I dont like bug clunky dressing and hate stat locks...I start to sweat and itch under them...then get tiny itchy bumps....</P>
<P>home care nurses have to come in every two weeks but I cancel them alot too...</P>

L

lizlas

<P>i think of people going to work with or on Ivs and think how can they do that, they cant be that </P>
<P>sick if they can work while on IVs...but then i realize I used to do it too....but never had to run themat work ...b/c they were usually once or twice a day.</P>
<P>but now I can barely doing anything on Ivs...just sleep and cough and cry and run Ivs ...</P>
<P>and if you dont use a stat lock....you can change your own picc dressings too....i change my own whether they are in left or rite arm....</P>
<P>instead of statlock lock i use 3 steri strips ( special thin sterile tape) to hold down the wings </P>
<P>and small opsite dressing....voila....I dont like bug clunky dressing and hate stat locks...I start to sweat and itch under them...then get tiny itchybumps....</P>
<P>home care nurses have to come in every two weeks but I cancel them alot too...</P>

L

lizlas

<P><BR>i think of people going to work with or on Ivs and think how can they do that, they cant be that </P>
<P>sick if they can work while on IVs...but then i realize I used to do it too....but never had to run themat work ...b/c they were usually once or twice a day.</P>
<P>instead of statlock lock i use 3 steri strips ( special thin sterile tape) to hold down the wings </P>
<P>and small opsite dressing....voila....I dont like bug clunky dressing and hate stat locks...I start to sweat and itch under them...then get tiny itchybumps....</P>

MissAlex27

I used to go to work (and I went to school when I was a teen) but I can't anymore. I get so sick off the meds they use that I would be completely useless at work.

MissAlex27

I used to go to work (and I went to school when I was a teen) but I can't anymore. I get so sick off the meds they use that I would be completely useless at work.

MissAlex27