do you travel far

Skye

I travel about 3 hours to go to my CF clinic. I really like them. They are pro-active and do a LOT of research. So for convenience at times I have a local center that is about 2 minutes from my house. That set up was working out fine until the director left about a week ago. I can see me really not liking the new set up with this brand new very very young doctor. No room for questions or education or participation from the patient.

So for those of you who travel, is that your ONLY center or do you have something more local to rely on? Do you maybe have just a local pulmonologist that works with your center? Can your larger center do orders for you from a distance. My center is even in another state and I am not sure they could order abx for me if I needed them????? Although, last week they started to until my local doc intervened.

I am really kind of stressing over this a bit. I saw the new guy on Fri. and we just did not click much at all. He had very little time for me and treated me like I was a 5 year old with CF and had no knowledge of what my care needed to be. Well that may be a bit harsh; but, he was still just OK and I am not good with OK at this point in my life.

Skye

I travel about 3 hours to go to my CF clinic. I really like them. They are pro-active and do a LOT of research. So for convenience at times I have a local center that is about 2 minutes from my house. That set up was working out fine until the director left about a week ago. I can see me really not liking the new set up with this brand new very very young doctor. No room for questions or education or participation from the patient.

So for those of you who travel, is that your ONLY center or do you have something more local to rely on? Do you maybe have just a local pulmonologist that works with your center? Can your larger center do orders for you from a distance. My center is even in another state and I am not sure they could order abx for me if I needed them????? Although, last week they started to until my local doc intervened.

I am really kind of stressing over this a bit. I saw the new guy on Fri. and we just did not click much at all. He had very little time for me and treated me like I was a 5 year old with CF and had no knowledge of what my care needed to be. Well that may be a bit harsh; but, he was still just OK and I am not good with OK at this point in my life.

Skye

Skye

Skye

<br />
<br />So for those of you who travel, is that your ONLY center or do you have something more local to rely on? Do you maybe have just a local pulmonologist that works with your center? Can your larger center do orders for you from a distance. My center is even in another state and I am not sure they could order abx for me if I needed them????? Although, last week they started to until my local doc intervened.
<br />
<br />I am really kind of stressing over this a bit. I saw the new guy on Fri. and we just did not click much at all. He had very little time for me and treated me like I was a 5 year old with CF and had no knowledge of what my care needed to be. Well that may be a bit harsh; but, he was still just OK and I am not good with OK at this point in my life.

JazzysMom

My center is about the same distance as yours is. I have no local doctor for me.

I prefer to go down for anything if I can instead of having them order stuff done by me, BUT I have done it.

As far as out of state doctors ordering meds....that shouldnt be an issue. We have lots of elderly people who live in NY for the Summer & FL for the Winter with no issues. We also have people who live just across the bridge in PA, but work, shop, get their healthcare on the NY side or vice versa.

Check with your clinic that is 3 hours away & see if they know of any issues that would arise if you relied SOLELY on them.

JazzysMom

My center is about the same distance as yours is. I have no local doctor for me.

I prefer to go down for anything if I can instead of having them order stuff done by me, BUT I have done it.

As far as out of state doctors ordering meds....that shouldnt be an issue. We have lots of elderly people who live in NY for the Summer & FL for the Winter with no issues. We also have people who live just across the bridge in PA, but work, shop, get their healthcare on the NY side or vice versa.

Check with your clinic that is 3 hours away & see if they know of any issues that would arise if you relied SOLELY on them.

JazzysMom

JazzysMom

JazzysMom

<br />
<br />
<br />I prefer to go down for anything if I can instead of having them order stuff done by me, BUT I have done it.
<br />
<br />As far as out of state doctors ordering meds....that shouldnt be an issue. We have lots of elderly people who live in NY for the Summer & FL for the Winter with no issues. We also have people who live just across the bridge in PA, but work, shop, get their healthcare on the NY side or vice versa.
<br />
<br />Check with your clinic that is 3 hours away & see if they know of any issues that would arise if you relied SOLELY on them.
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />

rubyroselee

Hi,

My whole life I traveled 4 hours to my main clinic, and it was even in another state. At the time I was born, my parents did not feel the local CF center was very good and took me to the next best place. I just ended up staying there my whole life and I loved it there.

Since then I have moved out of the area. I now travel 1.5 hours to my CF center (because the one in-town is not very good at all). I also still visit my old CF center once a year, which is about 8 hours away. My old CF center is much more up-to-date on treatments and still prescribes some drugs for me that my local center does not prescribe.

So in a nutshell, I have always traveled far for my CF center. I think it's important to have something somewhat local in case of emergencies, etc. But if you feel you will get better care by traveling further, then I think that's not a bad idea to go there as well.

My two doctors actually know each other quite well and they have no problem with me seeing both for my care, although my local doctor is my primary doctor. But if I ever needed, my far-away doctor would also prescribe me antibiotics if needed. And the rules vary by clinic as to how often you have to see them in order for them to prescribe you drugs. With my local center, I have to be seen within 6 months, and my far-away center is 1 year.

rubyroselee

Hi,

My whole life I traveled 4 hours to my main clinic, and it was even in another state. At the time I was born, my parents did not feel the local CF center was very good and took me to the next best place. I just ended up staying there my whole life and I loved it there.

Since then I have moved out of the area. I now travel 1.5 hours to my CF center (because the one in-town is not very good at all). I also still visit my old CF center once a year, which is about 8 hours away. My old CF center is much more up-to-date on treatments and still prescribes some drugs for me that my local center does not prescribe.

So in a nutshell, I have always traveled far for my CF center. I think it's important to have something somewhat local in case of emergencies, etc. But if you feel you will get better care by traveling further, then I think that's not a bad idea to go there as well.

My two doctors actually know each other quite well and they have no problem with me seeing both for my care, although my local doctor is my primary doctor. But if I ever needed, my far-away doctor would also prescribe me antibiotics if needed. And the rules vary by clinic as to how often you have to see them in order for them to prescribe you drugs. With my local center, I have to be seen within 6 months, and my far-away center is 1 year.

rubyroselee

Hi,

rubyroselee

Hi,

rubyroselee

Hi,
<br />
<br />My whole life I traveled 4 hours to my main clinic, and it was even in another state. At the time I was born, my parents did not feel the local CF center was very good and took me to the next best place. I just ended up staying there my whole life and I loved it there.
<br />
<br />Since then I have moved out of the area. I now travel 1.5 hours to my CF center (because the one in-town is not very good at all). I also still visit my old CF center once a year, which is about 8 hours away. My old CF center is much more up-to-date on treatments and still prescribes some drugs for me that my local center does not prescribe.
<br />
<br />So in a nutshell, I have always traveled far for my CF center. I think it's important to have something somewhat local in case of emergencies, etc. But if you feel you will get better care by traveling further, then I think that's not a bad idea to go there as well.
<br />
<br />My two doctors actually know each other quite well and they have no problem with me seeing both for my care, although my local doctor is my primary doctor. But if I ever needed, my far-away doctor would also prescribe me antibiotics if needed. And the rules vary by clinic as to how often you have to see them in order for them to prescribe you drugs. With my local center, I have to be seen within 6 months, and my far-away center is 1 year.

cfbigbrother

WE travel about 6 hours for our daughter's CF center, there is one closer about 3 hours away but we were not happy at all with it. We have a sort of local pulm about 2.5 hours away and that us where we have most of our admits etc. We do not have a pulm any closer. We can never be admitted locally closer than that we have used our local ER but get transfered oot every time.

Our PCP locally will prescribe meds if we need them as long as they are not a change from what the CF center wants and he will talk to our CF center if there is an issue.

cfbigbrother

WE travel about 6 hours for our daughter's CF center, there is one closer about 3 hours away but we were not happy at all with it. We have a sort of local pulm about 2.5 hours away and that us where we have most of our admits etc. We do not have a pulm any closer. We can never be admitted locally closer than that we have used our local ER but get transfered oot every time.

Our PCP locally will prescribe meds if we need them as long as they are not a change from what the CF center wants and he will talk to our CF center if there is an issue.

cfbigbrother

cfbigbrother

cfbigbrother

<br />
<br />Our PCP locally will prescribe meds if we need them as long as they are not a change from what the CF center wants and he will talk to our CF center if there is an issue.