do you travel far

JazzysMom

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Skye</b></i>

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Buckeye</b></i>

Liza, so what do you do when your son is in the hospital - does he get admitted at the local hospital or the out of town hospital? And if it's the local hospital then who's the doctor in charge - the local clinic or the out of town clinic?
</end quote></div>
This is my question for all of you who go out of town. I understand that many travel; but, my big question is how do you troubleshoot when things come up? I was OK with my local clinic before......they were new, small, pediatric only with only a ped. pulm.; but, the director had 30 plus years of experience and he was very motivating. Now this new guy is just that....brand new to medicine and just trying to figure out how to keep a caseload.

I am just wondering if a local pulmonologist and my GP could work with the big center. If I ever had to be admitted, I would not want to really be admitted in town. I don't know....I am just really confused and uncomfortable with this new set up and I don't EVER want to feel uncomfortable about my care.

I guess I feel like if I have 2 CF Centers involved that the closest one to me would call ALL the shots with my care; which I don't like with a NEW doc who probably has a LOT to learn still. Whereas if I had a local pulm then the big center would call ALL the shots and work closely with him. He would probably want to defer to their choices of meds and length of therapy....that kind of thing. A NEW doc who is the new director of the local CF center probably doesn't much like the idea of having to call another center and OK my care with them....though I really think he needs to being a ped. pulm and a new one at that.

I have already butted heads with him about use of steroids and length of IV time. 2 weeks and no roids was good with him. Not once did he ask me what I normally do or what works for me......just quoted me research. I guess he hasn't figured out yet that we are all different. I have never done 2 weeks and a steroid burst works wonders for me. I just don't want to fight my health and my doctor too. It is too hard.</end quote></div>

I get admitted down by my clinic. As a kid I use to get admitted quite a bit up by us, but as my CF progressed that wasnt feasable. Before I stopped working I was admitted to our local hospital get stabilized (I also worked there then), but after a few days no progress was being made so my CF Doctor had them ship me down as is....

I avoid ER & Local hospital as much as possible. IF I had to go to the local ER I would have them transfer me down to my clinic in NYC ASAP. If its to the point of needing that then calling anything in etc is a mute point!

JazzysMom

Liza, so what do you do when your son is in the hospital - does he get admitted at the local hospital or the out of town hospital? And if it's the local hospital then who's the doctor in charge - the local clinic or the out of town clinic?
</end quote></div>
This is my question for all of you who go out of town. I understand that many travel; but, my big question is how do you troubleshoot when things come up? I was OK with my local clinic before......they were new, small, pediatric only with only a ped. pulm.; but, the director had 30 plus years of experience and he was very motivating. Now this new guy is just that....brand new to medicine and just trying to figure out how to keep a caseload.

I am just wondering if a local pulmonologist and my GP could work with the big center. If I ever had to be admitted, I would not want to really be admitted in town. I don't know....I am just really confused and uncomfortable with this new set up and I don't EVER want to feel uncomfortable about my care.

I guess I feel like if I have 2 CF Centers involved that the closest one to me would call ALL the shots with my care; which I don't like with a NEW doc who probably has a LOT to learn still. Whereas if I had a local pulm then the big center would call ALL the shots and work closely with him. He would probably want to defer to their choices of meds and length of therapy....that kind of thing. A NEW doc who is the new director of the local CF center probably doesn't much like the idea of having to call another center and OK my care with them....though I really think he needs to being a ped. pulm and a new one at that.

I have already butted heads with him about use of steroids and length of IV time. 2 weeks and no roids was good with him. Not once did he ask me what I normally do or what works for me......just quoted me research. I guess he hasn't figured out yet that we are all different. I have never done 2 weeks and a steroid burst works wonders for me. I just don't want to fight my health and my doctor too. It is too hard.</end quote></div>

I get admitted down by my clinic. As a kid I use to get admitted quite a bit up by us, but as my CF progressed that wasnt feasable. Before I stopped working I was admitted to our local hospital get stabilized (I also worked there then), but after a few days no progress was being made so my CF Doctor had them ship me down as is....

I avoid ER & Local hospital as much as possible. IF I had to go to the local ER I would have them transfer me down to my clinic in NYC ASAP. If its to the point of needing that then calling anything in etc is a mute point!

JazzysMom

</end quote></div>

JazzysMom

</end quote>

I have already butted heads with him about use of steroids and length of IV time. 2 weeks and no roids was good with him. Not once did he ask me what I normally do or what works for me......just quoted me research. I guess he hasn't figured out yet that we are all different. I have never done 2 weeks and a steroid burst works wonders for me. I just don't want to fight my health and my doctor too. It is too hard.</end quote>

JazzysMom

<br />
<br /><div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Buckeye</b></i>
<br />
<br />Liza, so what do you do when your son is in the hospital - does he get admitted at the local hospital or the out of town hospital? And if it's the local hospital then who's the doctor in charge - the local clinic or the out of town clinic?
<br /></end quote>
<br />This is my question for all of you who go out of town. I understand that many travel; but, my big question is how do you troubleshoot when things come up? I was OK with my local clinic before......they were new, small, pediatric only with only a ped. pulm.; but, the director had 30 plus years of experience and he was very motivating. Now this new guy is just that....brand new to medicine and just trying to figure out how to keep a caseload.
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />I am just wondering if a local pulmonologist and my GP could work with the big center. If I ever had to be admitted, I would not want to really be admitted in town. I don't know....I am just really confused and uncomfortable with this new set up and I don't EVER want to feel uncomfortable about my care.
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />I guess I feel like if I have 2 CF Centers involved that the closest one to me would call ALL the shots with my care; which I don't like with a NEW doc who probably has a LOT to learn still. Whereas if I had a local pulm then the big center would call ALL the shots and work closely with him. He would probably want to defer to their choices of meds and length of therapy....that kind of thing. A NEW doc who is the new director of the local CF center probably doesn't much like the idea of having to call another center and OK my care with them....though I really think he needs to being a ped. pulm and a new one at that.
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />I have already butted heads with him about use of steroids and length of IV time. 2 weeks and no roids was good with him. Not once did he ask me what I normally do or what works for me......just quoted me research. I guess he hasn't figured out yet that we are all different. I have never done 2 weeks and a steroid burst works wonders for me. I just don't want to fight my health and my doctor too. It is too hard.</end quote>
<br />
<br />
<br />I get admitted down by my clinic. As a kid I use to get admitted quite a bit up by us, but as my CF progressed that wasnt feasable. Before I stopped working I was admitted to our local hospital get stabilized (I also worked there then), but after a few days no progress was being made so my CF Doctor had them ship me down as is....
<br />
<br />I avoid ER & Local hospital as much as possible. IF I had to go to the local ER I would have them transfer me down to my clinic in NYC ASAP. If its to the point of needing that then calling anything in etc is a mute point!
<br />

Skye

Melissa.....how do they transfer you? I just don't want to be in need and stuck in this tiny hospital town! Did you just drive there or when you say transfer......was it a bigger deal than that?

Skye

Melissa.....how do they transfer you? I just don't want to be in need and stuck in this tiny hospital town! Did you just drive there or when you say transfer......was it a bigger deal than that?

Skye

Skye

Skye

JazzysMom

Melissa.....how do they transfer you? I just don't want to be in need and stuck in this tiny hospital town! Did you just drive there or when you say transfer......was it a bigger deal than that?</end quote></div>

IF I was actually admitted then they transferred me by ambulance. If I was in the ER & Stable I have been discharged from there & drove down, but I also have been transferred directly from the ER to NYC.

JazzysMom

Melissa.....how do they transfer you? I just don't want to be in need and stuck in this tiny hospital town! Did you just drive there or when you say transfer......was it a bigger deal than that?</end quote></div>

IF I was actually admitted then they transferred me by ambulance. If I was in the ER & Stable I have been discharged from there & drove down, but I also have been transferred directly from the ER to NYC.

JazzysMom

JazzysMom

Melissa.....how do they transfer you? I just don't want to be in need and stuck in this tiny hospital town! Did you just drive there or when you say transfer......was it a bigger deal than that?</end quote>

JazzysMom

<br />
<br />Melissa.....how do they transfer you? I just don't want to be in need and stuck in this tiny hospital town! Did you just drive there or when you say transfer......was it a bigger deal than that?</end quote>
<br />
<br />IF I was actually admitted then they transferred me by ambulance. If I was in the ER & Stable I have been discharged from there & drove down, but I also have been transferred directly from the ER to NYC.
<br />
<br />

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DH and I have discussed what to do if DS needs to be hospitalized and if need be, we would prefer to take a trip to the city to avoid the local hospital at all costs.

DS hasn't been hospitalized since he was a baby -- he came home from the NICU and ended up spending another two weeks at the local hospital. At that time, patients still shared rooms -- one night a nurse moved a new mom with a jaundiced baby into our room and then suggested that maybe I go sleep in the lounge 'cuz the new mom needed her rest. And the nurses were too busy to do the 2-3 a.m. feed or meds and would wake me up. RTs were always behind schedule or didn't show for CPT -- and we had to rely on them for nebs and meds. When the iv abx were done or started beeping and I'd call the nurse --- IF they showed up they'd act pained, as if I was bothering them. Horrible situation/experience.

Basically our primary concern is with infection control or lack there of.. I have heard that the hospitals in the city have isolation protocol for all their cf patients. It is a major concern and one we're going to have to deal with at some point.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DH and I have discussed what to do if DS needs to be hospitalized and if need be, we would prefer to take a trip to the city to avoid the local hospital at all costs.

DS hasn't been hospitalized since he was a baby -- he came home from the NICU and ended up spending another two weeks at the local hospital. At that time, patients still shared rooms -- one night a nurse moved a new mom with a jaundiced baby into our room and then suggested that maybe I go sleep in the lounge 'cuz the new mom needed her rest. And the nurses were too busy to do the 2-3 a.m. feed or meds and would wake me up. RTs were always behind schedule or didn't show for CPT -- and we had to rely on them for nebs and meds. When the iv abx were done or started beeping and I'd call the nurse --- IF they showed up they'd act pained, as if I was bothering them. Horrible situation/experience.

Basically our primary concern is with infection control or lack there of.. I have heard that the hospitals in the city have isolation protocol for all their cf patients. It is a major concern and one we're going to have to deal with at some point.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
<br />
<br />DS hasn't been hospitalized since he was a baby -- he came home from the NICU and ended up spending another two weeks at the local hospital. At that time, patients still shared rooms -- one night a nurse moved a new mom with a jaundiced baby into our room and then suggested that maybe I go sleep in the lounge 'cuz the new mom needed her rest. And the nurses were too busy to do the 2-3 a.m. feed or meds and would wake me up. RTs were always behind schedule or didn't show for CPT -- and we had to rely on them for nebs and meds. When the iv abx were done or started beeping and I'd call the nurse --- IF they showed up they'd act pained, as if I was bothering them. Horrible situation/experience.
<br />
<br />Basically our primary concern is with infection control or lack there of.. I have heard that the hospitals in the city have isolation protocol for all their cf patients. It is a major concern and one we're going to have to deal with at some point.