Doctors with CF

aaaaaa

I am a young woman with a mild case of CF. I am interested in entering the medical field (hands on), but I know there are a lot of precautions and that hospitals are common places for infections to spread. I'd appreciate any information out there about doctors with CF. Thank you!

aaaaaa

I am a young woman with a mild case of CF. I am interested in entering the medical field (hands on), but I know there are a lot of precautions and that hospitals are common places for infections to spread. I'd appreciate any information out there about doctors with CF. Thank you!

aaaaaa

Havoc

I don't personally know of any physicians with CF, however a lot of us are nurses or paramedics.
<br>
<br>I flirted with becoming a doc, but psyched myself out. I kept thinking, "what happens if I get sick during residency?" All that time and money would be wasted. After trying out the school of nursing, and not liking it, I chose to become a paramedic.
<br>
<br>You are correct that hospitals are a great place to pick up germs, but so is your shower. I value quality over quantity. I would rather do something that I loved for a short time than do something I merely tolerate for decades. Having said that, you may not be worried about yourself, but you do need to worry about your patients. Let's say you picked up MRSA from the hospital. You would have to be very very careful around patients, especially patients who are immunosuppressed.
<br>
<br>You are doing the right thing, though. Educate yourself about the pro's and con's and then make an informed decision.

Havoc

I don't personally know of any physicians with CF, however a lot of us are nurses or paramedics.
<br>
<br>I flirted with becoming a doc, but psyched myself out. I kept thinking, "what happens if I get sick during residency?" All that time and money would be wasted. After trying out the school of nursing, and not liking it, I chose to become a paramedic.
<br>
<br>You are correct that hospitals are a great place to pick up germs, but so is your shower. I value quality over quantity. I would rather do something that I loved for a short time than do something I merely tolerate for decades. Having said that, you may not be worried about yourself, but you do need to worry about your patients. Let's say you picked up MRSA from the hospital. You would have to be very very careful around patients, especially patients who are immunosuppressed.
<br>
<br>You are doing the right thing, though. Educate yourself about the pro's and con's and then make an informed decision.

Havoc

<br>
<br>
<br>

W

welshwitch

Julie Desche is 50, she was a pathologist for many years. She got her MD at Stanford. Here's her story: http://www.sickandhappy.com/julies-bio-the-long-story/

She's retired now, but has a cool blog about staying positive with CF. Now she's a wellness coach and has 2 kids. Maybe you could email her and get some feedback!

W

welshwitch

Julie Desche is 50, she was a pathologist for many years. She got her MD at Stanford. Here's her story: http://www.sickandhappy.com/julies-bio-the-long-story/

She's retired now, but has a cool blog about staying positive with CF. Now she's a wellness coach and has 2 kids. Maybe you could email her and get some feedback!

W

welshwitch

<br />
<br />She's retired now, but has a cool blog about staying positive with CF. Now she's a wellness coach and has 2 kids. Maybe you could email her and get some feedback!

mamerth

My husband had a cousin through marriage (confused yet) that was a physician and had CF. She made it into her 30's before CF took her. I think she was a pediatrician.

mamerth

My husband had a cousin through marriage (confused yet) that was a physician and had CF. She made it into her 30's before CF took her. I think she was a pediatrician.

mamerth

imported_Momto2

When I was a teenager, I knew a woman with CF who was a physician. The process of getting her MD really took its toll. She passed away at age 33.

imported_Momto2

When I was a teenager, I knew a woman with CF who was a physician. The process of getting her MD really took its toll. She passed away at age 33.

imported_Momto2

SRains24

I'm currently going to school to become a pediatric cardio-thoracic surgeon. To me the pro's out weighed the con's, and so far I've been completely happy with my choice.

SRains24

I'm currently going to school to become a pediatric cardio-thoracic surgeon. To me the pro's out weighed the con's, and so far I've been completely happy with my choice.