Does Cf and Food Alleries go together?

Rebjane

Super Moderator
CJPsMom,

Sodium bicarbonate is what is in baking soda. I have to reiterate what ehtansky21 said. adding sodium bicarbonate tablets has helped my daughter immensely.

Basically, my daughter was taking Pancrecarb enzymes since she was 2. Pancrecarb works well for my daughter because it is buffered in a bicarbonate, to prevent the enzyme from breaking down in the stomach. The FDA took Pancrecarb off the market and it is still off the market. Soooo, i had to find a substitute that worked, which took alot of thinking on my part. Zen pep did not work AT ALL for my daughter.. She had nausea, actually had to get up in the middle of the night to poop when we tried Zen Pep. She had NEVER done that before.

Finally, we switched her to Creon and with my CF doctors permission we tried giving her a small bit of Sodium Bicarbonate tablets every time she took her enzymes. It has worked AWESOME. no more stomach aches; She gained 5 pounds or more since we started this, in a very short period of time(like 3 months) I have even started watering down her juice and changed her from whole milk to 2%.

I would discuss this with your CF doctor/nutritionist before trying this of course. I honestly don't know what I would have done for my daughter is this had not worked. Our team was so impressed with the weight gain.

Let me know if you need more info about this!

Rebjane

Super Moderator
CJPsMom,

Sodium bicarbonate is what is in baking soda. I have to reiterate what ehtansky21 said. adding sodium bicarbonate tablets has helped my daughter immensely.

Basically, my daughter was taking Pancrecarb enzymes since she was 2. Pancrecarb works well for my daughter because it is buffered in a bicarbonate, to prevent the enzyme from breaking down in the stomach. The FDA took Pancrecarb off the market and it is still off the market. Soooo, i had to find a substitute that worked, which took alot of thinking on my part. Zen pep did not work AT ALL for my daughter.. She had nausea, actually had to get up in the middle of the night to poop when we tried Zen Pep. She had NEVER done that before.

Finally, we switched her to Creon and with my CF doctors permission we tried giving her a small bit of Sodium Bicarbonate tablets every time she took her enzymes. It has worked AWESOME. no more stomach aches; She gained 5 pounds or more since we started this, in a very short period of time(like 3 months) I have even started watering down her juice and changed her from whole milk to 2%.

I would discuss this with your CF doctor/nutritionist before trying this of course. I honestly don't know what I would have done for my daughter is this had not worked. Our team was so impressed with the weight gain.

Let me know if you need more info about this!

Printer

WOW. I need to choose my word so much more carefully. I said there is a corrolation between CF and Lactose Intollerence. I did not mean a "direct corrolation". A greater percentage of the population with CF are lactose intollerant than of the non CF population. Not everyone with CF is lactose intollerant but it is SOMEWHAT COMMON.

Printer

WOW. I need to choose my word so much more carefully. I said there is a corrolation between CF and Lactose Intollerence. I did not mean a "direct corrolation". A greater percentage of the population with CF are lactose intollerant than of the non CF population. Not everyone with CF is lactose intollerant but it is SOMEWHAT COMMON.

CJPsMom

We recently switched from Creon to Zenpep and his weight gain has slowed dramatically. The hope was that the switch would lessen his stomach bloating and possibly change his oral intake, but we haven't seen that.
Am debating switching back to Creon.

CJPsMom

We recently switched from Creon to Zenpep and his weight gain has slowed dramatically. The hope was that the switch would lessen his stomach bloating and possibly change his oral intake, but we haven't seen that.
Am debating switching back to Creon.

ehtansky21

So glad RebJane that the sodium bicarbonate worked so well for your daughter!!! What would we do without the internet and these forums!!!! My oldest also went up 5-7 pounds very quickly!!

blessings,
missa

ehtansky21

So glad RebJane that the sodium bicarbonate worked so well for your daughter!!! What would we do without the internet and these forums!!!! My oldest also went up 5-7 pounds very quickly!!

blessings,
missa

lilismom

I wanted to follow up on this... Lili started a new digestive enzyme a month ago to deal with food intolerance she has. The enzyme is supposed to work differently than the pancreatic enzymes...it breaks food down into smaller bits in the stomach so it is easier to digest.
Over the past month I've seen a huge difference in her poop. It's very solid but still very large. So large that almost daily she tells me she doesn't think the toilet will flush, and almost daily I need to plunge it. So it looks like it is working, I've never seen her poop look so normal before.
The enzyme is called Digestive enzyme #1, I got it from her naturopath but he mentioned you cold buy it at stores that sell supplements.

lilismom

I wanted to follow up on this... Lili started a new digestive enzyme a month ago to deal with food intolerance she has. The enzyme is supposed to work differently than the pancreatic enzymes...it breaks food down into smaller bits in the stomach so it is easier to digest.
Over the past month I've seen a huge difference in her poop. It's very solid but still very large. So large that almost daily she tells me she doesn't think the toilet will flush, and almost daily I need to plunge it. So it looks like it is working, I've never seen her poop look so normal before.
The enzyme is called Digestive enzyme #1, I got it from her naturopath but he mentioned you cold buy it at stores that sell supplements.

HisAngel

@Sarah....

I tried goggling Digestive Enzyme #1 but could not find a supplement with that particular name, it simply brings up pages on digestive enzymes in general. Is there a particular company name for this product by chance? Since your Naturopath mentioned you could buy it at stores? Perhaps it could be tracked down by it's manufacturer. Any info would be appreciated.

Brightest Blessings!
Angel~

HisAngel

@Sarah....

I tried goggling Digestive Enzyme #1 but could not find a supplement with that particular name, it simply brings up pages on digestive enzymes in general. Is there a particular company name for this product by chance? Since your Naturopath mentioned you could buy it at stores? Perhaps it could be tracked down by it's manufacturer. Any info would be appreciated.

Brightest Blessings!
Angel~

Stillgoing

@Gnome - to answer your original question. I get asked all the time if my DD has any food allergies. While she doesn't, I know they are asking because they want to be sure that they don't create any extra problems for her (or me).

Stillgoing

@Gnome - to answer your original question. I get asked all the time if my DD has any food allergies. While she doesn't, I know they are asking because they want to be sure that they don't create any extra problems for her (or me).