Don't have allergies?

NoExcuses

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>65rosessamurai</b></i>

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>What medication increases white blood cells???? </end quote></div>

In the first sentence,

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>In a surprise finding, scientists have discovered that histamine, the inflammatory compound released during allergic reactions that causes runny nose, watery eyes, and wheezing, can be produced in large amounts in the lung by neutrophils, the white blood cells that are the major component of pus.</end quote></div>

That was the interpretation I had concluded in, since "Causes", "Produces" preceeded "white blood cells".

I had to re-read it several times after your post to my reply, to see that it really suggests white blood cells were only related to being a major component of puss, and I'm still not sure whether that's the right conclusion, the sentence has too many commas to follow along to. </end quote></div>

Are we reading the same thing?????

White blood cells, according to the article, produce histamines.

No where does it says that any medication, including anti-histamine, will increase white blood cells.........

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Second, my dear, I had been told that using the same antihistamine for allergies will eventually not work (which happened), so changing brands was suggested (which helped).</end quote></div>

Ya clearly you were told that. But just because someone told you something doesn't make it true, as you know. And yes, the placebo affect is alive and well. I'll post articles by allergists that refute what you are saying....

NoExcuses

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>65rosessamurai</b></i>

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>What medication increases white blood cells???? </end quote></div>

In the first sentence,

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>In a surprise finding, scientists have discovered that histamine, the inflammatory compound released during allergic reactions that causes runny nose, watery eyes, and wheezing, can be produced in large amounts in the lung by neutrophils, the white blood cells that are the major component of pus.</end quote></div>

That was the interpretation I had concluded in, since "Causes", "Produces" preceeded "white blood cells".

I had to re-read it several times after your post to my reply, to see that it really suggests white blood cells were only related to being a major component of puss, and I'm still not sure whether that's the right conclusion, the sentence has too many commas to follow along to. </end quote></div>

Are we reading the same thing?????

White blood cells, according to the article, produce histamines.

No where does it says that any medication, including anti-histamine, will increase white blood cells.........

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Second, my dear, I had been told that using the same antihistamine for allergies will eventually not work (which happened), so changing brands was suggested (which helped).</end quote></div>

Ya clearly you were told that. But just because someone told you something doesn't make it true, as you know. And yes, the placebo affect is alive and well. I'll post articles by allergists that refute what you are saying....

65rosessamurai

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Ya clearly you were told that. But just because someone told you something doesn't make it true, as you know.</end quote></div>

Depending on WHO told me WHAT, I will take it or leave it.
Were you reading the same thing I was!?
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>I had been told that using the same antihistamine for allergies will eventually not work (which happened), so changing brands was suggested (which helped). </end quote></div>
If you noticed what was in the parenthesis, this was the result I had from what I was been told. Or, do I have to spell it out?!
If so...no matter how I took my allergy medicine to relieve my allergies, I still had them bad, until I was told (suggested, if you prefer) to change brands, and after changing brands, I was more relieved when the allergies seemed to deline in severity.
you can post to refute to your heart's desire...it won't change my point of view, unless they got antihistimines that come from natural herbs, etc., since one of the biggest mistake American (and probably European as well) doctors make is that they make medications to "cure the cause", and very rarely use the old method that Chinese medicine does, which is aid the body to defend itself.

And,
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>But just because someone told you something doesn't make it true, as you know.</end quote></div>
by your own quote, just because you told me some mouse experiment worked, that it was ok for humans is not something for me to find as true, either...especially when I and others here are questioning the claim, and your comments in regards to how a drug would be beneficial.

65rosessamurai

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Ya clearly you were told that. But just because someone told you something doesn't make it true, as you know.</end quote></div>

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>I had been told that using the same antihistamine for allergies will eventually not work (which happened), so changing brands was suggested (which helped). </end quote></div>
If you noticed what was in the parenthesis, this was the result I had from what I was been told. Or, do I have to spell it out?!
If so...no matter how I took my allergy medicine to relieve my allergies, I still had them bad, until I was told (suggested, if you prefer) to change brands, and after changing brands, I was more relieved when the allergies seemed to deline in severity.
you can post to refute to your heart's desire...it won't change my point of view, unless they got antihistimines that come from natural herbs, etc., since one of the biggest mistake American (and probably European as well) doctors make is that they make medications to "cure the cause", and very rarely use the old method that Chinese medicine does, which is aid the body to defend itself.

And,
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>But just because someone told you something doesn't make it true, as you know.</end quote></div>
by your own quote, just because you told me some mouse experiment worked, that it was ok for humans is not something for me to find as true, either...especially when I and others here are questioning the claim, and your comments in regards to how a drug would be beneficial.

65rosessamurai

And,

Foody

I think the assumption that antihistamines are a suitable drug for all CF people to combat possible (since this study was not done on CF people or even CF mice) high levels of histamines is drawing a rather hasty conclusion. I think to suggest to people that using antihistamines daily (regardless the source) as a catch all in lung health is a big leap here.

What I found interesting in the article was that they discovered that bacterial infection increased histamine production. Most of what we are familiar with when we hear histamine is allergic reactions to environment and foods. That is why it would be interesting to see how this works with the CF lung. Does the presence of bacteria in the CF lung cause higher levels of histamine as the study may suggest? Perhaps it does, but it can't be confirmed here with this study, at least not in my mind. Perhaps the nuances of CF pathology doesn't cause the same thing to happen. Either way, dealing with increased levels of antihistamine doesn't equal using antihistamines in my eyes. I can only share my perspective and research - ingest what you wish.

Now, getting back to whether antioxidents help stop histamine production or simply reduce inflammation. There are studies which demonstrate they do both. Again the information stems mostly from allergy research (though bioflavonoids have been studied and shown to affect the CFTR), but it demonstrates the powerful affect these natural substances have on histamine production and, as Amy points out, it's subsequent affects such as inflammation.

Vitamin C, E, A, and Selenium (important in the redox cycle of GSH): One small human study, by researchers at Methodist Hospital in Brooklyn, New York, found that people who took 1,000 milligrams of vitamin C every day for three days had significant reductions in blood levels of histamine.

In another study, Italian researchers found that people with hay fever were better able to maintain the volume of air they could exhale if they were taking 2,000 milligrams of vitamin C a day. (In many allergic reactions, air passages narrow and restrict the flow of air into the body.)

The allergic reaction itself also causes the generation of unstable molecules called free radicals, which injure your body's healthy molecules by stealing electrons to balance themselves. In the process, free radicals injure mast cells and may make them even more twitchy and prone to histamine release. Vitamins C and E, beta-carotene, selenium and other antioxidants all help to neutralize free radicals by offering their own electrons and so protect healthy molecules from harm.

All of this simply suggests the importance of gettin enough antioxidents and selenium in the diet. Supplementation may be necessary for some and is worth doing more indepth vitamin panels and working with a doctor to see what your individual needs may be.

...more to come if you are interested in reading further that is ;-)

Foody

I think the assumption that antihistamines are a suitable drug for all CF people to combat possible (since this study was not done on CF people or even CF mice) high levels of histamines is drawing a rather hasty conclusion. I think to suggest to people that using antihistamines daily (regardless the source) as a catch all in lung health is a big leap here.

What I found interesting in the article was that they discovered that bacterial infection increased histamine production. Most of what we are familiar with when we hear histamine is allergic reactions to environment and foods. That is why it would be interesting to see how this works with the CF lung. Does the presence of bacteria in the CF lung cause higher levels of histamine as the study may suggest? Perhaps it does, but it can't be confirmed here with this study, at least not in my mind. Perhaps the nuances of CF pathology doesn't cause the same thing to happen. Either way, dealing with increased levels of antihistamine doesn't equal using antihistamines in my eyes. I can only share my perspective and research - ingest what you wish.

Now, getting back to whether antioxidents help stop histamine production or simply reduce inflammation. There are studies which demonstrate they do both. Again the information stems mostly from allergy research (though bioflavonoids have been studied and shown to affect the CFTR), but it demonstrates the powerful affect these natural substances have on histamine production and, as Amy points out, it's subsequent affects such as inflammation.

Vitamin C, E, A, and Selenium (important in the redox cycle of GSH): One small human study, by researchers at Methodist Hospital in Brooklyn, New York, found that people who took 1,000 milligrams of vitamin C every day for three days had significant reductions in blood levels of histamine.

In another study, Italian researchers found that people with hay fever were better able to maintain the volume of air they could exhale if they were taking 2,000 milligrams of vitamin C a day. (In many allergic reactions, air passages narrow and restrict the flow of air into the body.)

The allergic reaction itself also causes the generation of unstable molecules called free radicals, which injure your body's healthy molecules by stealing electrons to balance themselves. In the process, free radicals injure mast cells and may make them even more twitchy and prone to histamine release. Vitamins C and E, beta-carotene, selenium and other antioxidants all help to neutralize free radicals by offering their own electrons and so protect healthy molecules from harm.

All of this simply suggests the importance of gettin enough antioxidents and selenium in the diet. Supplementation may be necessary for some and is worth doing more indepth vitamin panels and working with a doctor to see what your individual needs may be.

Foody

Foody

Bioflavonoids (particularly Quercetin): In one study (Amallal M et al. Inhibition of mast cell histamine released by flavonoids and biflavonoids. Planta Medica 16-20, 1985) mast cells were treated with eleven different flavonoids, including quercetin and catechins. Histamine release was chemically induced. All the flavonoids tested exhibited some level of protective effect against the release of histamine by preventing the uptake of calcium into the cells. Similar results have been shown in basophils treated with quercetin, which is chemically similar to the synthetically derived Cromolyn. Quercetin was quite effective at inhibiting the release of histamine from these cells, even at low doses. (Middleton E Jr, Drzeqiecki G, Krishnarao D. Quercetin: an inhibitor of antigen-induced human basophil histamine release. J Immunol 127(2): 546-50, 1981)

It is interesting to note that in these and other studies, quercetin has been proven more effective at blocking histamine release than those synthetically derived like Cromolyn. While the exact mechanism by which flavonoids prevent calcium influx into the cells is still debated, it is thought that flavonoids may inhibit the enzyme cyclic AMP phosphodiesterase. This results in raised levels of cyclic AMP inside the mast cells, PREVENTING THE RELEASE OF HISTAMINE PRODUCTION.

For a study specifically detailing the affects of certain bioflavonoids on the function of the CFTR see <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/wMPbRSNnPHtVzVtTm2bRNDTZhm7E6vlnhUzBettgk4pH-ptRMx6HY8NqLYZBhKs_6B2KPHgDbD_HPRipDmH1SzPfur9V/Flavanoids.pdf
">http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/w...Pfur9V/Flavanoids.pdf
</a>
Magnesium (a mineral worth noting): There is quite a bit of CF related research on how the CFTR affects the uptake of minerals causing a disturbance in how the minerals are used in the body (particulary zinc). This suggests to me that CF people may have a tendency toward deficiency in minerals such as zinc, copper, magnesium and possibly others. Exhaustive vitamin and mineral panels could help determine if this is true for the individual Cf person and may help guide doctors in balancing the antioxidents and mineral which help the body help itself.

From the histamine perspective, some doctors who treat people with allergies recommend that their patients get the Daily Value of magnesium, which is 400 milligrams. That's because this essential mineral is known to help relieve bronchospasm, or constricted airways in the lungs. Magnesium has been used intravenously to help relieve the symptoms of life-threatening, drug-resistant asthma attacks. Doctors who recommend it for simple nasal allergies are inferring that it may also help these symptoms.

One study, by researchers at Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah, found that laboratory animals severely deficient in magnesium had much higher blood levels of histamine when exposed to substances that trigger allergies than animals getting sufficient magnesium.

The flow of calcium into and out of a cell helps regulate some cell function. So it's possible that a magnesium deficiency changes the permeability of mast cell membranes, allowing calcium to more easily enter cells. When that happens, histamine is released.

Magnesium deficiency definitely accentuates the allergic situation. In animals, magnesium deficiency causes the release of substances that can act on immune cells such as mast cells and basophils and make them hyperactive--more likely to release histamine. Magnesium deficiency also causes other immune responses in the body that can lead to redness, swelling and pain.

Supplementation shoud be discussed with a doctor as too much magnesium can cause diarehea, may not be recommended in those with kidney or heart issues. Tiiming it if on antibiotics is important as well. Chelated forms are best absorbed. The very best sources of magnesium in the diet are nuts, beans and whole grains. Green vegetables are another good source, as are bananas. Most processed foods contain very little of this essential mineral.

Hope this triggers some ideas ;-) BTW, this is wonderful discussion and again points out the value of knowing your own body and doing your research.

Foody

Bioflavonoids (particularly Quercetin): In one study (Amallal M et al. Inhibition of mast cell histamine released by flavonoids and biflavonoids. Planta Medica 16-20, 1985) mast cells were treated with eleven different flavonoids, including quercetin and catechins. Histamine release was chemically induced. All the flavonoids tested exhibited some level of protective effect against the release of histamine by preventing the uptake of calcium into the cells. Similar results have been shown in basophils treated with quercetin, which is chemically similar to the synthetically derived Cromolyn. Quercetin was quite effective at inhibiting the release of histamine from these cells, even at low doses. (Middleton E Jr, Drzeqiecki G, Krishnarao D. Quercetin: an inhibitor of antigen-induced human basophil histamine release. J Immunol 127(2): 546-50, 1981)

It is interesting to note that in these and other studies, quercetin has been proven more effective at blocking histamine release than those synthetically derived like Cromolyn. While the exact mechanism by which flavonoids prevent calcium influx into the cells is still debated, it is thought that flavonoids may inhibit the enzyme cyclic AMP phosphodiesterase. This results in raised levels of cyclic AMP inside the mast cells, PREVENTING THE RELEASE OF HISTAMINE PRODUCTION.

For a study specifically detailing the affects of certain bioflavonoids on the function of the CFTR see <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/wMPbRSNnPHtVzVtTm2bRNDTZhm7E6vlnhUzBettgk4pH-ptRMx6HY8NqLYZBhKs_6B2KPHgDbD_HPRipDmH1SzPfur9V/Flavanoids.pdf
</a>
Magnesium (a mineral worth noting): There is quite a bit of CF related research on how the CFTR affects the uptake of minerals causing a disturbance in how the minerals are used in the body (particulary zinc). This suggests to me that CF people may have a tendency toward deficiency in minerals such as zinc, copper, magnesium and possibly others. Exhaustive vitamin and mineral panels could help determine if this is true for the individual Cf person and may help guide doctors in balancing the antioxidents and mineral which help the body help itself.

From the histamine perspective, some doctors who treat people with allergies recommend that their patients get the Daily Value of magnesium, which is 400 milligrams. That's because this essential mineral is known to help relieve bronchospasm, or constricted airways in the lungs. Magnesium has been used intravenously to help relieve the symptoms of life-threatening, drug-resistant asthma attacks. Doctors who recommend it for simple nasal allergies are inferring that it may also help these symptoms.

One study, by researchers at Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah, found that laboratory animals severely deficient in magnesium had much higher blood levels of histamine when exposed to substances that trigger allergies than animals getting sufficient magnesium.

The flow of calcium into and out of a cell helps regulate some cell function. So it's possible that a magnesium deficiency changes the permeability of mast cell membranes, allowing calcium to more easily enter cells. When that happens, histamine is released.

Magnesium deficiency definitely accentuates the allergic situation. In animals, magnesium deficiency causes the release of substances that can act on immune cells such as mast cells and basophils and make them hyperactive--more likely to release histamine. Magnesium deficiency also causes other immune responses in the body that can lead to redness, swelling and pain.

Supplementation shoud be discussed with a doctor as too much magnesium can cause diarehea, may not be recommended in those with kidney or heart issues. Tiiming it if on antibiotics is important as well. Chelated forms are best absorbed. The very best sources of magnesium in the diet are nuts, beans and whole grains. Green vegetables are another good source, as are bananas. Most processed foods contain very little of this essential mineral.

Hope this triggers some ideas ;-) BTW, this is wonderful discussion and again points out the value of knowing your own body and doing your research.

Foody

</a>

veggiebin

This thread is over ten years old, but I find it very interesting. I would like some updated information from people.

My 19 yo daughter has been sick for a long time, all her life in reality, but it came to a head when she had to have emergency gall bladder removal when she was 15. Symptoms continued after the surgery and a very short version of the last five years, is that she was finally diagnosed with POTS, she has two CFTR mutations, negative sweat chloride test, very low cholesterol and triglycerides and borderline deficient in most of the panel our pc ordered. Her cardiologist recently suggested she try Allegra to see if it helped at all. Abdominal pain was gone in two days. He then put her on cromolyn because she was still a bit nauseous and had occasional other symptoms maybe depending on what she was eating. She has found that if she takes all doses, she feels great. No joint pain, nauseousness or abdominal pain. She still has tremors, and she is still fatigued.

I have seen that Doctor Warwick frequently prescribed cromolyn as a nebulized med for his patients. Has anyone else on here had experience with this treatment? Is it possible that mast cell dysfunction could be in the gut, joints etc. as well as the lungs? Or do you feel this is a separate issue?

And since she is borderline deficient in so many things, I don't disclaim the fact that a B vitamin or magnesium, or anything else could be an underlying cause. Her pc doc has her on a couple of different vitamins too, that she felt were maybe helping her, but the Allegra is what tipped the scale.

Just curious of people's thoughts on this.