drawing blood from picc

catboogie

i wanted to see if this sounds right to you guys: to draw blood from a picc line, first flush with a syringe of saline (5 ml). then draw 2 syringes full of blood to be thrown away to make sure the picc is cleared of any antibiotic residue. finally, draw your blood.

i ask because the nurse who came last time only drew ONE vial of blood even though i mentioned i thought it was supposed to be two; then my tobra peak came out a little high. :S she's coming back today and i'm going to tell her to do two--that is unless she insists taking it from the vein (i hope not!)

catboogie

i wanted to see if this sounds right to you guys: to draw blood from a picc line, first flush with a syringe of saline (5 ml). then draw 2 syringes full of blood to be thrown away to make sure the picc is cleared of any antibiotic residue. finally, draw your blood.

i ask because the nurse who came last time only drew ONE vial of blood even though i mentioned i thought it was supposed to be two; then my tobra peak came out a little high. :S she's coming back today and i'm going to tell her to do two--that is unless she insists taking it from the vein (i hope not!)

catboogie

Jane

Digital opinion leader
We were told never take levels from a PICC. Our doctor said its just not reliable, although many nurses will say its ok.

When taking blood for regular labs, we do it the way you described.

Jane

Digital opinion leader
We were told never take levels from a PICC. Our doctor said its just not reliable, although many nurses will say its ok.

Jane

Digital opinion leader

coltsfan715

They used to never take my levels from the PICC as well. I have developed such issues with needles though that they have the last few hospital stays.

Normally when they do mine - the flush the line with saline like you said - then they pull back and fill that same syringe with blood - then pull it off and throw it out. Then the 2nd syringe they use the pull the blood they need and they use that syringe.

I don't know if you were saying they pull 2 and throw out 2 or they pull 2 use 1 and throw 1 out. For me they pull 2 syringes worth total - and use the 2nd one.

Hopefully she won't have to draw from the vein. If they do I hope she is a good stick and that it is not painful for you.

Good luck,
Lindsey

coltsfan715

They used to never take my levels from the PICC as well. I have developed such issues with needles though that they have the last few hospital stays.

Normally when they do mine - the flush the line with saline like you said - then they pull back and fill that same syringe with blood - then pull it off and throw it out. Then the 2nd syringe they use the pull the blood they need and they use that syringe.

I don't know if you were saying they pull 2 and throw out 2 or they pull 2 use 1 and throw 1 out. For me they pull 2 syringes worth total - and use the 2nd one.

Hopefully she won't have to draw from the vein. If they do I hope she is a good stick and that it is not painful for you.

Good luck,
Lindsey

coltsfan715

Good luck,
Lindsey

LouLou

I heard it was not good to bring blood into the PICC because it could encourage it to clot in there and ruin the PICC. Sounds like a lazy nurse to me.

LouLou

I heard it was not good to bring blood into the PICC because it could encourage it to clot in there and ruin the PICC. Sounds like a lazy nurse to me.

LouLou

catboogie

no, not a lazy nurse. i ran it by my doctor and specially requested it--the orders are written for the draws to be that way.

catboogie

no, not a lazy nurse. i ran it by my doctor and specially requested it--the orders are written for the draws to be that way.