drivers license

littletally

My husband is diabetic and has been since he was 5 and he has had his driver's license since he was 16 with no problems. The only license he cannot get is a CDL license to drive a semi or something big like that because it's against the law. In the law it talks about loss of conciousness because of long periods of driving and not eating while truck driving. So that is a precaution but a regular driver's license is okay because you drive for shorter periods of time. The only thing they do is put a medical thing on his license saying he's diabetic. He used to have a card that said "I'm not drunk I'm diabetic" in his wallet in case he got low and got pulled over and couldn't explain himself. Anywho you can get a driver's license and be diabetic. Sorry for the rambling!!

Nikki
27 with cf

blindhearted

Lindsey, I didnt know you could list your CF on your license. I will have to ask about that when I go get them renewed. That will help if I was in an accident, since the license is the first thing they look at.

ok original question. I have had my license since I was 16. I had no problems getting them. I do not have CFRD, but I'm sure as long as you dont pass out from low blood sugar then it should be a problem. As said above, as long as your doctor doesnt say you have any impairments then you shouldnt have a problem. You might want to keep Glucose tablets or nabs in your glove box incase your sugar drops while you are driving, that way you can pull over and get a "quick fix" until you can get home and eat a meal. My sugar does have a tendency to drop every now and again (but no CFRD dx) and that is what I do and it has come in handy.

blindhearted

Lindsey, I didnt know you could list your CF on your license. I will have to ask about that when I go get them renewed. That will help if I was in an accident, since the license is the first thing they look at.

ok original question. I have had my license since I was 16. I had no problems getting them. I do not have CFRD, but I'm sure as long as you dont pass out from low blood sugar then it should be a problem. As said above, as long as your doctor doesnt say you have any impairments then you shouldnt have a problem. You might want to keep Glucose tablets or nabs in your glove box incase your sugar drops while you are driving, that way you can pull over and get a "quick fix" until you can get home and eat a meal. My sugar does have a tendency to drop every now and again (but no CFRD dx) and that is what I do and it has come in handy.

blindhearted

hmm thanx everyone for the help.
i was just concerned about it being on the medical impairments that may make it harder foryou to get a license but it seems like its okaay.
but i do have a problem with higher blood sugars. so i was just making sure.

i was just concerned about it being on the medical impairments that may make it harder foryou to get a license but it seems like its okaay.

Tess

I was under the understanding that you can't get your drivers license with epilepsy due to the possibility of seizures. And even more I had a friend who was a passenger in a car that got wrecked .. he was flung out the window ... he had major medical issues for some time .... including seizures for which he was not permitted to try for he license for one year ... and as long as he didn't have anymore seizures within the year he would be abler to get his license...... Imagine telling a guy who's driven dirt bike, four wheelers, dune buggys, demo cars..... that he's not allowed to get his license ... he wasn't happy....

Diabetic's for the most part can controll, or usually have some warning .. at any rate diabetic's aren't prone to seizures......

Tess

I was under the understanding that you can't get your drivers license with epilepsy due to the possibility of seizures. And even more I had a friend who was a passenger in a car that got wrecked .. he was flung out the window ... he had major medical issues for some time .... including seizures for which he was not permitted to try for he license for one year ... and as long as he didn't have anymore seizures within the year he would be abler to get his license...... Imagine telling a guy who's driven dirt bike, four wheelers, dune buggys, demo cars..... that he's not allowed to get his license ... he wasn't happy....

Diabetic's for the most part can controll, or usually have some warning .. at any rate diabetic's aren't prone to seizures......

Tess

JazzysMom

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Tess</b></i>

Diabetic's for the most part can controll, or usually have some warning .. at any rate diabetic's aren't prone to seizures......</end quote></div>

You can get your license, but should you lose it for any reason it is difficult to get back. You have a waiting period for medical observation and seizure free time (I dont know what determines the length of time or if its standard) and a doctor who is willing to do the paperwork. I have epilepsy and havent had a problem KNOCK ON WOOD! BUT locally we had a man who killed an elderly woman when his car struck her because he had a seizure while driving. He never revealed his medical history so not only was her charged with her death, but he lied on government papers when obtaining his license and subsequent renewals. Yes epilepsy is different then diabetes, but IMHO both also depend on the severity and compliance with meds.

ALSO I had a friend who tried to quit smoking by using the Med called Wellbutrin. Its usually an antidepressant, but has been linked to seizures. She had seizures from it and her doctor reported it so she lost her license for 1 year until she could document she was seizure free. Similar to your friends incident!

JazzysMom

Diabetic's for the most part can controll, or usually have some warning .. at any rate diabetic's aren't prone to seizures......</end quote></div>

You can get your license, but should you lose it for any reason it is difficult to get back. You have a waiting period for medical observation and seizure free time (I dont know what determines the length of time or if its standard) and a doctor who is willing to do the paperwork. I have epilepsy and havent had a problem KNOCK ON WOOD! BUT locally we had a man who killed an elderly woman when his car struck her because he had a seizure while driving. He never revealed his medical history so not only was her charged with her death, but he lied on government papers when obtaining his license and subsequent renewals. Yes epilepsy is different then diabetes, but IMHO both also depend on the severity and compliance with meds.

ALSO I had a friend who tried to quit smoking by using the Med called Wellbutrin. Its usually an antidepressant, but has been linked to seizures. She had seizures from it and her doctor reported it so she lost her license for 1 year until she could document she was seizure free. Similar to your friends incident!

JazzysMom

TCNJcystic

I'm getting the physical done tomorrow for a Class C Commercial Driver's License. I'll let you know how it goes. I've heard some people with CF can't get the CDL but some can, so I'm interested to see how it goes. But that's just the CDL, the regular license shouldn't be a problem.

TCNJcystic

I'm getting the physical done tomorrow for a Class C Commercial Driver's License. I'll let you know how it goes. I've heard some people with CF can't get the CDL but some can, so I'm interested to see how it goes. But that's just the CDL, the regular license shouldn't be a problem.

TCNJcystic