Duke University

nu65

Due to things not under my control (lung drought in FL), I am looking at getting listed and transplanted at Duke University in NC. Has anyone had their transplant here, or know anything about the program. I've looked at UNOS statistics and things seem good. They almost do more transplants than list people! I know they transplant cepacia and other complicated infections (I've got MRSA and mucoid pseudos). Any information at all would be great. Thanks! A lot of anxiety here!

nu65

Due to things not under my control (lung drought in FL), I am looking at getting listed and transplanted at Duke University in NC. Has anyone had their transplant here, or know anything about the program. I've looked at UNOS statistics and things seem good. They almost do more transplants than list people! I know they transplant cepacia and other complicated infections (I've got MRSA and mucoid pseudos). Any information at all would be great. Thanks! A lot of anxiety here!

nu65

nu65

nu65

NYCLawGirl

Jess, my doctor very nearly sent me to Duke for a second eval in fall of '09, so I did a lot of research on them. They have incredibly fast transplant times (like 3 weeks), but the reason for this is they only actively list 3 or so people at a time. It's a funny system that allows the transplant team to pick who is going to get lungs instead of just the UNOS score. It also means they have short waiting times, b/c you will be the only one "listed" with your height and blood type. But, the flip side is that they have people who are transplant-ready but not actively listed, just waiting their turn to be one of the lucky 3.

I heard NOTHING but good things about them from people I talked to who have had their transplants there. The team seems to be really well liked by their patients. I didn't end up being evaluated there b/c I moved way up on Columbia's list, but it's a good choice center for people who need transplants soon and think they are likely to be one of the chosen few.

NYCLawGirl

Jess, my doctor very nearly sent me to Duke for a second eval in fall of '09, so I did a lot of research on them. They have incredibly fast transplant times (like 3 weeks), but the reason for this is they only actively list 3 or so people at a time. It's a funny system that allows the transplant team to pick who is going to get lungs instead of just the UNOS score. It also means they have short waiting times, b/c you will be the only one "listed" with your height and blood type. But, the flip side is that they have people who are transplant-ready but not actively listed, just waiting their turn to be one of the lucky 3.

I heard NOTHING but good things about them from people I talked to who have had their transplants there. The team seems to be really well liked by their patients. I didn't end up being evaluated there b/c I moved way up on Columbia's list, but it's a good choice center for people who need transplants soon and think they are likely to be one of the chosen few.

NYCLawGirl

NYCLawGirl

NYCLawGirl

<br />
<br />I heard NOTHING but good things about them from people I talked to who have had their transplants there. The team seems to be really well liked by their patients. I didn't end up being evaluated there b/c I moved way up on Columbia's list, but it's a good choice center for people who need transplants soon and think they are likely to be one of the chosen few.

nu65

Hey Piper, I hope that I'm one of the few they list as soon as I get up there then. Thanks for the info!

nu65

Hey Piper, I hope that I'm one of the few they list as soon as I get up there then. Thanks for the info!

nu65

nu65

nu65

theLostMiler

I think that Tricia of "Nate and Tricia, CF Husband" had her transplant there... sounds like a great place to me especially based on her experience.

theLostMiler

I think that Tricia of "Nate and Tricia, CF Husband" had her transplant there... sounds like a great place to me especially based on her experience.

theLostMiler

theLostMiler

theLostMiler