Elliptical machines

Lex

I am a personal trainer...have been for over 10 years. I don't recommend the elliptical for CFers.

Although any cardio at 60% and above your max HR will move a lot of air and get your heart pumping, I don't like it for us because:

1: It's not applicable to everyday life. The movement is a simulation of walking/running and so, therefore, you don't work the body the way it was meant to be worked. There is no real strength gained. No bone density increase. It's not functional.

but more importantly,

2: You don't have the pounding on your body that CFers need. As long as your joints are pain free, walking (on an incline) or running is superior for CFers for this reason alone. It's almost like cardio and the vest all in one. We need the impact.

This goes for all cardio...bikes are no good but stair climbing on the step mill is great---not the stairmaster where there is no impact on the body.

Hope this helps....again, just my opinion.

Lex

I am a personal trainer...have been for over 10 years. I don't recommend the elliptical for CFers.

Although any cardio at 60% and above your max HR will move a lot of air and get your heart pumping, I don't like it for us because:

1: It's not applicable to everyday life. The movement is a simulation of walking/running and so, therefore, you don't work the body the way it was meant to be worked. There is no real strength gained. No bone density increase. It's not functional.

but more importantly,

2: You don't have the pounding on your body that CFers need. As long as your joints are pain free, walking (on an incline) or running is superior for CFers for this reason alone. It's almost like cardio and the vest all in one. We need the impact.

This goes for all cardio...bikes are no good but stair climbing on the step mill is great---not the stairmaster where there is no impact on the body.

Lex

but more importantly,

Lex

but more importantly,

Lex

<br />
<br />Although any cardio at 60% and above your max HR will move a lot of air and get your heart pumping, I don't like it for us because:
<br />
<br />1: It's not applicable to everyday life. The movement is a simulation of walking/running and so, therefore, you don't work the body the way it was meant to be worked. There is no real strength gained. No bone density increase. It's not functional.
<br />
<br />but more importantly,
<br />
<br />2: You don't have the pounding on your body that CFers need. As long as your joints are pain free, walking (on an incline) or running is superior for CFers for this reason alone. It's almost like cardio and the vest all in one. We need the impact.
<br />
<br />This goes for all cardio...bikes are no good but stair climbing on the step mill is great---not the stairmaster where there is no impact on the body.
<br />
<br />Hope this helps....again, just my opinion.

tesorotiffa

Hmm, well you raise a thought for me to think about. I do plan on doing weight training along with the cardio to increase strength in my upper body. Walking on an incline is something I could do, although I hate running because I'm a little chest-heavy! lol

Thanks!

tesorotiffa

Hmm, well you raise a thought for me to think about. I do plan on doing weight training along with the cardio to increase strength in my upper body. Walking on an incline is something I could do, although I hate running because I'm a little chest-heavy! lol

Thanks!

tesorotiffa

Thanks!

tesorotiffa

Thanks!

tesorotiffa

<br />
<br />Thanks!

Lex

So is my wife....and she shops at bra smith and loves it. They have good stuff there for working out.

Strength training is essential. And remember, when it comes to cardio...the entire purpose for us is airway clearance. Never compare yourself to others.

Lex

So is my wife....and she shops at bra smith and loves it. They have good stuff there for working out.

Strength training is essential. And remember, when it comes to cardio...the entire purpose for us is airway clearance. Never compare yourself to others.

Lex

Lex

Lex

<br />
<br />Strength training is essential. And remember, when it comes to cardio...the entire purpose for us is airway clearance. Never compare yourself to others.

mom2lillian

Tiffa if you invest the money in a good bra it is ok, I was nursing when I started jogging and I was a size 34F. There are three main bras recommended for high impact large chested women when excercising and I wear the same thing even if I am doign elliptical. YOu can google it I cant remember all the names, you are going to be investing about $50.

I would have to agree with Lex that I am more productive after running than anythign else I think the jarring motion helps alot. Unfortunately I am hyper mobile and hve now had problems with both knees and one foot. I am starting PT soon and I *hope* to be able to do light jogging one day but alas it is not for everyone.

mom2lillian

Tiffa if you invest the money in a good bra it is ok, I was nursing when I started jogging and I was a size 34F. There are three main bras recommended for high impact large chested women when excercising and I wear the same thing even if I am doign elliptical. YOu can google it I cant remember all the names, you are going to be investing about $50.

I would have to agree with Lex that I am more productive after running than anythign else I think the jarring motion helps alot. Unfortunately I am hyper mobile and hve now had problems with both knees and one foot. I am starting PT soon and I *hope* to be able to do light jogging one day but alas it is not for everyone.

mom2lillian

mom2lillian

mom2lillian

<br />
<br />I would have to agree with Lex that I am more productive after running than anythign else I think the jarring motion helps alot. Unfortunately I am hyper mobile and hve now had problems with both knees and one foot. I am starting PT soon and I *hope* to be able to do light jogging one day but alas it is not for everyone.