Endoscopic Sinus Surgey

CFkitty

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>sidekickj</b></i>

CFkitty-

I know what you mean by people having different definitions for what "sinus surgery" actually is. My initial understnading was that it's a piece a cake...one day ordeal...and my docs let me believe that. ALL of my sinuses were full of infection, mucus...I believe my ENT even used the word "puss". YUCK, RIGHT. So as far as I know...all they had to do was clean everything out...I didn't even have packing! Doc used some sort of clear seals to keep clean and keep from bleeding...and I still woke up feeling like I couldn't breathe. Doesn't make sense to me. And I did have a nose bleed the first night I coughed after surgery. Also, I too have a deviated septum but he didn't feel the need to fix it. Weird huh.

24/F/CF</end quote></div>

Ok, that makes sense why your recovery wasn't too crazy.

When you have your septum fixed and have your smaller chambers cut open into one large chamber, you have bone and tissue that has to heal, on top of clearing the infection and removing polyps.

There is bleeding for several days, packing and/or splints, pus/blood/clots/mucous drainage/headache/eyeache/internal pain/pain on the outside of the nose/stuffiness for 4-6 WEEKS. When I had my packing removed, the doctor cleaned out the junk way in the back, with a vacuum. This is painful experience.

At 4 weeks, my nose still aches, my eyes are still sun sensitive, I am still stuffy, and am still passing blood clots and goo. This stuff is a good 3 inches long and a good 1/2 inch or more wide. My ENT told me this is common and could happen for another few weeks.

So yes, there are different procedures done during "sinus surgery". When people say they have had it done multiple times, it's usually a cleaning out, vs. cutting tissue and breaking bones.

If your deviated septum wasn't fixed, it's likely that it wasn't blocking the airway too much. When the septum is more to one side, that side is smaller, and on the OTHER side, it allows the turbinates to grow larger, effectively blocking that side as well.

Image: <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.obstructednose.com/onose_septoplasty_large_im.html">http://www.obstructednose.com/...toplasty_large_im.html</a>

CFkitty

CFkitty-

I know what you mean by people having different definitions for what "sinus surgery" actually is. My initial understnading was that it's a piece a cake...one day ordeal...and my docs let me believe that. ALL of my sinuses were full of infection, mucus...I believe my ENT even used the word "puss". YUCK, RIGHT. So as far as I know...all they had to do was clean everything out...I didn't even have packing! Doc used some sort of clear seals to keep clean and keep from bleeding...and I still woke up feeling like I couldn't breathe. Doesn't make sense to me. And I did have a nose bleed the first night I coughed after surgery. Also, I too have a deviated septum but he didn't feel the need to fix it. Weird huh.

When you have your septum fixed and have your smaller chambers cut open into one large chamber, you have bone and tissue that has to heal, on top of clearing the infection and removing polyps.

There is bleeding for several days, packing and/or splints, pus/blood/clots/mucous drainage/headache/eyeache/internal pain/pain on the outside of the nose/stuffiness for 4-6 WEEKS. When I had my packing removed, the doctor cleaned out the junk way in the back, with a vacuum. This is painful experience.

At 4 weeks, my nose still aches, my eyes are still sun sensitive, I am still stuffy, and am still passing blood clots and goo. This stuff is a good 3 inches long and a good 1/2 inch or more wide. My ENT told me this is common and could happen for another few weeks.

So yes, there are different procedures done during "sinus surgery". When people say they have had it done multiple times, it's usually a cleaning out, vs. cutting tissue and breaking bones.

If your deviated septum wasn't fixed, it's likely that it wasn't blocking the airway too much. When the septum is more to one side, that side is smaller, and on the OTHER side, it allows the turbinates to grow larger, effectively blocking that side as well.

Image: <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.obstructednose.com/onose_septoplasty_large_im.html">http://www.obstructednose.com/...toplasty_large_im.html</a>

CFkitty

CFkitty-

CFkitty

CFkitty-

24/F/CF</end quote>

CFkitty

<br />
<br />CFkitty-
<br />
<br />I know what you mean by people having different definitions for what "sinus surgery" actually is. My initial understnading was that it's a piece a cake...one day ordeal...and my docs let me believe that. ALL of my sinuses were full of infection, mucus...I believe my ENT even used the word "puss". YUCK, RIGHT. So as far as I know...all they had to do was clean everything out...I didn't even have packing! Doc used some sort of clear seals to keep clean and keep from bleeding...and I still woke up feeling like I couldn't breathe. Doesn't make sense to me. And I did have a nose bleed the first night I coughed after surgery. Also, I too have a deviated septum but he didn't feel the need to fix it. Weird huh.
<br />
<br />24/F/CF</end quote>
<br />
<br />
<br />Ok, that makes sense why your recovery wasn't too crazy.
<br />
<br />When you have your septum fixed and have your smaller chambers cut open into one large chamber, you have bone and tissue that has to heal, on top of clearing the infection and removing polyps.
<br />
<br />There is bleeding for several days, packing and/or splints, pus/blood/clots/mucous drainage/headache/eyeache/internal pain/pain on the outside of the nose/stuffiness for 4-6 WEEKS. When I had my packing removed, the doctor cleaned out the junk way in the back, with a vacuum. This is painful experience.
<br />
<br />At 4 weeks, my nose still aches, my eyes are still sun sensitive, I am still stuffy, and am still passing blood clots and goo. This stuff is a good 3 inches long and a good 1/2 inch or more wide. My ENT told me this is common and could happen for another few weeks.
<br />
<br />So yes, there are different procedures done during "sinus surgery". When people say they have had it done multiple times, it's usually a cleaning out, vs. cutting tissue and breaking bones.
<br />
<br />If your deviated septum wasn't fixed, it's likely that it wasn't blocking the airway too much. When the septum is more to one side, that side is smaller, and on the OTHER side, it allows the turbinates to grow larger, effectively blocking that side as well.
<br />
<br />Image: <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.obstructednose.com/onose_septoplasty_large_im.html">http://www.obstructednose.com/...toplasty_large_im.html</a>

tesorotiffa

Well the first one I had was oupatient, and I really don't consider it an actual surgery! She did however cut out some bone and polyps. About a year later, my CF doc talked me into seeing an ENT that specializes in CF sinuses. My sinuses were 99% packed with infection so he had to scrape and get all of that out. I remember being in pain after the surgery, but I felt nothing once I was released. The last one I had was just a simple wash out so I'm sure that's why it wasn't painful. I guess I haven't had anything too intense compared to you guys!

tesorotiffa

Well the first one I had was oupatient, and I really don't consider it an actual surgery! She did however cut out some bone and polyps. About a year later, my CF doc talked me into seeing an ENT that specializes in CF sinuses. My sinuses were 99% packed with infection so he had to scrape and get all of that out. I remember being in pain after the surgery, but I felt nothing once I was released. The last one I had was just a simple wash out so I'm sure that's why it wasn't painful. I guess I haven't had anything too intense compared to you guys!

tesorotiffa

tesorotiffa

tesorotiffa

nu65

The only thing I would add to this topic is that my CF and ENT have always agreed that I need to have at least 2 weeks of IV antibiotics BEFORE the surgery to try to minimize infection afterwards. This has worked so far and I've had 5 sinus surgeries, the last being last October. It is painful, and bloody, and hard to stick to the Vest and treatments because you feel so yucky. This could lead to an infection from not being able to move your secretions in your lungs as well.

nu65

The only thing I would add to this topic is that my CF and ENT have always agreed that I need to have at least 2 weeks of IV antibiotics BEFORE the surgery to try to minimize infection afterwards. This has worked so far and I've had 5 sinus surgeries, the last being last October. It is painful, and bloody, and hard to stick to the Vest and treatments because you feel so yucky. This could lead to an infection from not being able to move your secretions in your lungs as well.

nu65

nu65

nu65