enzyme

stefi74

<span id="result_box" class="" lang="en"><span class="hps">you're right<span>,<br> <span class="hps">my daughter <span class="hps">has a strong <span class="hps">pancreatic insufficiency<span>, <span class="hps">my problem is <span class="hps">that lately <span class="hps">has <span class="hps">greasy <span class="hps">stools<span>, <span class="hps">and I do not <span class="hps">prescribe <span class="hps">beyond <span class="hps">17/18 <span class="hps">capsules per <span class="hps">day.<br> <span class="hps">I <span class="hps">wonder if <span class="hps">in America <span class="hps">a child who <span class="hps">weighs <span class="hps">17 <span class="hps">pounds <span class="hps">is allowed <span class="hps">to take more than <span class="hps">17/18 <span class="hps">capsules <span class="hps">of Creon <span class="hps">10000

Mistyjo

I don't know if I'm understanding correctly...the dosage of enzymes depends on how much they eat? My daughter will be starting them soon. I've also heard that zenpep is one of the best kinds. What happens if they just graze all day? What I mean by that is my daughter is always hungry but when she eats she only eats small amounts and then she's hungry again in a couple of hrs. She's eating small amounts all day most of the time.

Mistyjo

I don't know if I'm understanding correctly...the dosage of enzymes depends on how much they eat? My daughter will be starting them soon. I've also heard that zenpep is one of the best kinds. What happens if they just graze all day? What I mean by that is my daughter is always hungry but when she eats she only eats small amounts and then she's hungry again in a couple of hrs. She's eating small amounts all day most of the time.

Mistyjo

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
I know some doctors who've limited people -- told them they're at their maximum; however, in my son's case it was always based on trial and error and we adjusted accordingly. His doctor never limited the number. As he began to eat more, we'd increase the amount by a capsule or two. Now that he's older, if we increase the number if he's going to eat something with a higher fat content -- pizza, french fries, popcorn...

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
I know some doctors who've limited people -- told them they're at their maximum; however, in my son's case it was always based on trial and error and we adjusted accordingly. His doctor never limited the number. As he began to eat more, we'd increase the amount by a capsule or two. Now that he's older, if we increase the number if he's going to eat something with a higher fat content -- pizza, french fries, popcorn...

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Being that we struggle with DS' weight, I'm not going to limit his eating by telling him -- sorry, you can't have a snack because you've had your maximum # of enzymes today.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Being that we struggle with DS' weight, I'm not going to limit his eating by telling him -- sorry, you can't have a snack because you've had your maximum # of enzymes today.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Being that there are different levels of pancreatic insufficiency -- it's not a one size fits all medication -- I guess I'd tell my doctor that my child is having issues with malabsorbing based on the stools and get the amount increased.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Being that there are different levels of pancreatic insufficiency -- it's not a one size fits all medication -- I guess I'd tell my doctor that my child is having issues with malabsorbing based on the stools and get the amount increased.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

CJPsMom

It's interesting that people seem to be told different things. We've been told that there is a maximum recommended dosage, based on weight. We've been told not to exceed a certain number of enzymes per day, due to his weight. I'm wondering if that's specific to babies?

As his weight has increased, so has his maximum.