ER Waiting Rooms

azdesertrat

I forgot to mention that whenever I am forced to go to a hospital; be it for my monthly boodwork, E.R. whatever, I ALWAYS wear w surgical mask.
I have a box of them in my truck & I keep a fresh one in the envelope with my bloodwork orders.
I've deduced that the reason people go to the ER is, THEY ARE SICK! I don't want what they have so I wear a mask & use hand sanitizer numerous times during the visit.
Anyone with CF needs to be proactive when it comes to avoidance of germs.
Just my thought; one of many that kept me outta the really good schools.

azdesertrat

I forgot to mention that whenever I am forced to go to a hospital; be it for my monthly boodwork, E.R. whatever, I ALWAYS wear w surgical mask.
I have a box of them in my truck & I keep a fresh one in the envelope with my bloodwork orders.
I've deduced that the reason people go to the ER is, THEY ARE SICK! I don't want what they have so I wear a mask & use hand sanitizer numerous times during the visit.

azdesertrat

LouLou

The only time I ever went to the ER (for myself) was 30 years ago when I needed stitches. There was one other time I went because of horrendous pain in my stomach. It was the first time I had gallbladder pains. I like to think I keep in good contact with my doctor's an nip things in the bud before they become an emergency but I know with respiratory things can become 'emergency.' When that happens...we'll be driving straight to my cf hospital with a call to my cf doctor on the way letting them know we are on our way. The most likely reason I would be in an emergency with respiratory symptoms would be hemoptysis which means we would be going directly to interventional radiology. If I'm in a true respiratory emergency, I sure as heck don't want to pitch up at the ER. In fact, I don't want to go to the ER for anything really. We have a 'doc in a box' who is really good in our town. I would go to them for stiches, etc. For cf I call my cf center and see them the next day. In 33 years, there hasn't been anything that I couldn't do for myself at home or waited until the next day.

LouLou

The only time I ever went to the ER (for myself) was 30 years ago when I needed stitches. There was one other time I went because of horrendous pain in my stomach. It was the first time I had gallbladder pains. I like to think I keep in good contact with my doctor's an nip things in the bud before they become an emergency but I know with respiratory things can become 'emergency.' When that happens...we'll be driving straight to my cf hospital with a call to my cf doctor on the way letting them know we are on our way. The most likely reason I would be in an emergency with respiratory symptoms would be hemoptysis which means we would be going directly to interventional radiology. If I'm in a true respiratory emergency, I sure as heck don't want to pitch up at the ER. In fact, I don't want to go to the ER for anything really. We have a 'doc in a box' who is really good in our town. I would go to them for stiches, etc. For cf I call my cf center and see them the next day. In 33 years, there hasn't been anything that I couldn't do for myself at home or waited until the next day.

LouLou

S

SarahProcter

I've taken my daughter to the ER a few times (she's 3 now). Every time, at the UCSF ER, I tell them that she has CF and we're not supposed to be in the waiting room because of exposure to bad bugs, and every time they bring us back someplace. I don't mean that they see her ahead of other people, just that we are given someplace to wait outside of the waiting room. This is handled as a routine matter by the ER staff, it's not something that we've had to agitate for.

S

SarahProcter

I've taken my daughter to the ER a few times (she's 3 now). Every time, at the UCSF ER, I tell them that she has CF and we're not supposed to be in the waiting room because of exposure to bad bugs, and every time they bring us back someplace. I don't mean that they see her ahead of other people, just that we are given someplace to wait outside of the waiting room. This is handled as a routine matter by the ER staff, it's not something that we've had to agitate for.

S

SarahProcter

hmw

I don't want Emily (or any of my kids) to have to sit in an ER any more than they have to. However, I believe that someone bleeding, who has been shot or robbed or beaten, with broken bones, with chest pain, with possible stroke or aneurism, with seizures, with any number of potentially severe conditions, trumps my child's need for a test if she is not in crisis and I am willing to risk illness if need be out of respect for their need. And of course I would expect Emily to be given priority if she was in acute need, like if she actually was having trouble breathing... or like the time when she was 4 and she'd had multiple seizures and was unconscious and vomiting uncontrollably and we were rushed back as soon as we came through the door. I'd have raised hell if a child needing an xray or other routine test was taken in ahead of her.

We've had it both ways. We were sent to the ER of the hospital where our CF clinic once, because it was after hours, and it turned out she did have pneumonia. The ER was nearly empty and we were taken to an empty exam room and waited for about 20min to be seen (presumably while they tended to a few people ahead of us.) The only other time she has had to go to the ER since her CF dx, she was given a mask and we had to wait just like everyone else. I didn't let her play with any of the toys there and kept her in one place to minimize how much stuff she touched. It didn't occur to me to be upset about it, fair is fair- everyone there is sick and many have underlying conditions where not having to wait amongst other people would be preferable.

hmw

I don't want Emily (or any of my kids) to have to sit in an ER any more than they have to. However, I believe that someone bleeding, who has been shot or robbed or beaten, with broken bones, with chest pain, with possible stroke or aneurism, with seizures, with any number of potentially severe conditions, trumps my child's need for a test if she is not in crisis and I am willing to risk illness if need be out of respect for their need. And of course I would expect Emily to be given priority if she was in acute need, like if she actually was having trouble breathing... or like the time when she was 4 and she'd had multiple seizures and was unconscious and vomiting uncontrollably and we were rushed back as soon as we came through the door. I'd have raised hell if a child needing an xray or other routine test was taken in ahead of her.

We've had it both ways. We were sent to the ER of the hospital where our CF clinic once, because it was after hours, and it turned out she did have pneumonia. The ER was nearly empty and we were taken to an empty exam room and waited for about 20min to be seen (presumably while they tended to a few people ahead of us.) The only other time she has had to go to the ER since her CF dx, she was given a mask and we had to wait just like everyone else. I didn't let her play with any of the toys there and kept her in one place to minimize how much stuff she touched. It didn't occur to me to be upset about it, fair is fair- everyone there is sick and many have underlying conditions where not having to wait amongst other people would be preferable.

hmw

B

BikerEd

<P><div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Momto2</b></i> Hmm, never heard of anyone getting special treatment in an ER before due to CF. My policy is that my health is my responsibility, and if I'm going to go anywhere where there is a high likelyhood of catching something icky, I wear a mask and wash my hands like crazy. </P>
<P></end quote> </P>
<P></P>
<P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 10pt" class=MsoNormal><FONT color=#000000 size=3 face=Calibri>Oh HEAR HEAR! I wish more parents would teach their kids how to live in a Non-CF world rather than stomp their feet anytime the world does not stop for their DD/DS w/cf. Someday they (the CFer) will find themselves in a position where the world does not revolve around CF and they will have to manage themselves in that world or isolate themselves from it. </FONT></P>
<P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 10pt" class=MsoNormal><FONT color=#000000 size=3 face=Calibri>@ Bill 1. ER waiting times have gone up since single payer health insurance in MA. 2. Just because "YOU" don't pay for it does not mean it is "FREE". I get the back bill when I see my doctors, or the tax payer pay's it in the grants that go to hospitals because they have to cover cost like everybody else in the world. Additionally, my health insurance cost goes up because hospitals charge more. </FONT></P>
<P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 10pt" class=MsoNormal><FONT color=#000000 size=3 face=Calibri>My experience with the ER has been mostly non-CF related, and most times I am immediately Isolated as a precaution to protect me and others from me, however a busy ER is a busy ER. Just as you may find that sometimes clinic days get busy; low and behold multiple CF patients waiting in the lobby. </FONT></P>
<P></P>

B

BikerEd

<P><div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Momto2</b></i> Hmm, never heard of anyone getting special treatment in an ER before due to CF. My policy is that my health is my responsibility, and if I'm going to go anywhere where there is a high likelyhood of catching something icky, I wear a mask and wash my hands like crazy. </P>
<P></end quote> </P>
<P></P>
<P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 10pt" class=MsoNormal><FONT color=#000000 size=3 face=Calibri>Oh HEAR HEAR! I wish more parents would teach their kids how to live in a Non-CF world rather than stomp their feet anytime the world does not stop for their DD/DS w/cf. Someday they (the CFer) will find themselves in a position where the world does not revolve around CF and they will have to manage themselves in that world or isolate themselves from it. </FONT></P>
<P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 10pt" class=MsoNormal><FONT color=#000000 size=3 face=Calibri>@ Bill 1. ER waiting times have gone up since single payer health insurance in MA. 2. Just because "YOU" don't pay for it does not mean it is "FREE". I get the back bill when I see my doctors, or the tax payer pay's it in the grants that go to hospitals because they have to cover cost like everybody else in the world. Additionally, my health insurance cost goes up because hospitals charge more. </FONT></P>
<P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 10pt" class=MsoNormal><FONT color=#000000 size=3 face=Calibri>My experience with the ER has been mostly non-CF related, and most times I am immediately Isolated as a precaution to protect me and others from me, however a busy ER is a busy ER. Just as you may find that sometimes clinic days get busy; low and behold multiple CF patients waiting in the lobby. </FONT></P>
<P></P>

B

BikerEd

<P></end quote> </P>
<P></P>
<P></P>

Printer

ED;

Cute but MA dosen't have single payer health insurance. The receipent of health care that is recieved in an ER setting and payment is not made by the receipent or there insurence company is FREE to the reeceipent. True the taxpayers pay for it.

Bill

Printer

ED;

Cute but MA dosen't have single payer health insurance. The receipent of health care that is recieved in an ER setting and payment is not made by the receipent or there insurence company is FREE to the reeceipent. True the taxpayers pay for it.

Bill

Printer

ED;

Bill

BabyBeauty

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>BikerEd</b></i>

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Momto2</b></i> Hmm, never heard of anyone getting special treatment in an ER before due to CF. My policy is that my health is my responsibility, and if I'm going to go anywhere where there is a high likelyhood of catching something icky, I wear a mask and wash my hands like crazy.

</end quote>

<p style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt;" class="MsoNormal"><font color="#000000" size="3" face="Calibri">Oh HEAR HEAR! I wish more parents would teach their kids how to live in a Non-CF world rather than stomp their feet anytime the world does not stop for their DD/DS w/cf. Someday they (the CFer) will find themselves in a position where the world does not revolve around CF and they will have to manage themselves in that world or isolate themselves from it.</font><font color="#000000" size="3" face="Calibri"></font>
</end quote>

I look forward to the day that CF is not an issue. I pray for it each day. I fundraise my butt off for it. In the meantime, it is MY JOB as a parent to protect my daughter. If that means I ask for an isolated room. Then yes I will ask for it. I will demand it. That is my JOB. My only argument in this thread has been that my daughter should not wait in the general waiting room. Some hospitals have rooms set aside for immune compromised patients. It should be a standard of care in ER's. Should my daughter BE SEEN before an open chest wound or difficulty breathing...NO. But the hospitals should do their best to make sure immune compromised patients stay safe. We had to go to an ER in another city and had a fantastic experience. We were put in a safe room right away and yes we waiting along time to be seen, but we felt safe. No other patients were coughing on our daughter. All hospitals should strive to be better. I called the patient advocacy line and talked with a wonderful lady. She used to work in the ER at that same hospital. She said our case was handled innappropriately. She said there should be a set SOP when an immune compromised patient walks into the ER. They were going to have a meeting about my case and work on making it better. No hospital is perfect, but if they can make improvements to make sure our kids are safe, then we need to voice our opinion.

BabyBeauty

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>BikerEd</b></i>

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Momto2</b></i> Hmm, never heard of anyone getting special treatment in an ER before due to CF. My policy is that my health is my responsibility, and if I'm going to go anywhere where there is a high likelyhood of catching something icky, I wear a mask and wash my hands like crazy.

</end quote>

<p style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt;" class="MsoNormal"><font color="#000000" size="3" face="Calibri">Oh HEAR HEAR! I wish more parents would teach their kids how to live in a Non-CF world rather than stomp their feet anytime the world does not stop for their DD/DS w/cf. Someday they (the CFer) will find themselves in a position where the world does not revolve around CF and they will have to manage themselves in that world or isolate themselves from it.</font><font color="#000000" size="3" face="Calibri"></font>
</end quote>

I look forward to the day that CF is not an issue. I pray for it each day. I fundraise my butt off for it. In the meantime, it is MY JOB as a parent to protect my daughter. If that means I ask for an isolated room. Then yes I will ask for it. I will demand it. That is my JOB. My only argument in this thread has been that my daughter should not wait in the general waiting room. Some hospitals have rooms set aside for immune compromised patients. It should be a standard of care in ER's. Should my daughter BE SEEN before an open chest wound or difficulty breathing...NO. But the hospitals should do their best to make sure immune compromised patients stay safe. We had to go to an ER in another city and had a fantastic experience. We were put in a safe room right away and yes we waiting along time to be seen, but we felt safe. No other patients were coughing on our daughter. All hospitals should strive to be better. I called the patient advocacy line and talked with a wonderful lady. She used to work in the ER at that same hospital. She said our case was handled innappropriately. She said there should be a set SOP when an immune compromised patient walks into the ER. They were going to have a meeting about my case and work on making it better. No hospital is perfect, but if they can make improvements to make sure our kids are safe, then we need to voice our opinion.